Friday, August 3, 2012

Pic a day...

I have come to the conclusion, that if I had to count on my photographic skills to make a living, I would starve to death.

I went out this morning and wandered around for quite awhile with my camera in tow, snapping away with abandon. It's amazing the amount of pics one can take and still not end up with quite what they were hoping or expecting to capture.

I was inspired with Mr.Oz's plant pic from yesterday and thought I would get a few close-ups of a couple of plants just outside the front door. I had forgotten all about my dilemma yesterday of change in temp and humidity on first walking outside and the first few pics I took again were getting that ghostly, foggy look about them.

So I moved on and just sat a bit at the picnic table and waited a few minutes for the camera to adjust and watched a few birds visiting the bird bath. Nothing too exciting, just a few robins and a morning dove. I snapped a few after awhile and moved on.

Landscapes were out, who wants to look at a landscape of brown? So I took Goofygreeneyes advice and went for more close-ups of textures and intimacy and came up with today's pic.

I chose this as my favorite, as I love the coloring of the bits of moss against the greyness of the tree trunk. Clicking to enlarge the pic will give you a better view of the texture and detail.

For those who are scratching your heads on this challenge, the premise is to just pick up your camera and snap one pic a day to post on your blog for the next 30 days. Thirty pics, thirty days, easy peasy right? Hmmm, maybe not quite that easy for some of us, so don't worry if you are not totally happy with your pic for a day. It's practice for all of us, and to help us get more inspired with our cameras.

 

21 comments:

  1. I think this is a great shot, Vic! You're too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Mr. Oz, I don't know how many pics you have to snap before getting a good shot, but it seems like I have to take at least 25-30 before I get something I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends, yesterday I shot 22 and got 3 that I really liked and some days I like more than half of what I've shot. I think the challenge of doing it every day can make it a little harder because some days you're just not 'inspired' but I also think that is a part of why the challenge is an important exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets you thinking that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vic. I like your pictures.
    I have a friend that has been making a living for 50 years or so as a news and freelance photographer. Wes told me once that the secret to photography is take lots of pictures and only show the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol now that is a smart fellow... I would be way too embarassed to show all the pics I snapped. Some were just terrible...

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interesting.... I still like yesterday's better! lol... please don't take offense!
    on several photo shoots I learned that if you like one photo out of 100 be happy! lol.... isn't digital great?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luv your closeup of the knot on the tree. Lots of texture. You are doing great. It just takes practice.
    My 2nd one is up at:
    http://mistyshadows2u.multiply.com/journal/item/317

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey this looks like a project I can start .. and fail to reach.. again! Yay! ok.. i will sign up again.. coz taking pictures is what i do everyday.. anyway.

    Great Picture of a Fossil Dinasaur Eye!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a really good pictue, Vic. I clicked to enlarge and then looked over every part. And I started to imagine little people walking aroud the ledges, mules carrying their packs...up, up, up to the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someone's been in the mushrooms again! LOL ;-o

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol@Oz, are you. Suggesting Misty is going to pass some 'shrooms all around so we can go to the fair with her? Or that Sharon is waay ahead of us already!
    Freakin Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If this was an aerial view, it would look like a dormant volcano that started to have trees scattered around it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "What?", she said with her blue eyes blinking in a demure way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its a really good photo Vic ... I want to know what kind of tree it is to please!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a birch tree Glenda....the bark is white and peels and has these sort of knot holes on the trunk...

    ReplyDelete