Saturday, July 14, 2012

Policing the Pie

I was going to cheat today.

I was going to commit pie blasphemy and make fake pie.

Even though it technically has something that lines a aluminum tin, has filling and was going to be topped with Cool Whip. It wouldn't be real pie.

I had plans on making chocolate fake pie. The kind of pie with a pre-made Oreo cookie crust with chocolate pudding and frosted with an equally fake whipped cream.

I am so ashamed.

But in me defense, or at least what I told myself, is that I could make fake pie. It has and continues to be so darn hot, that real pie baking was out of the question. I could make fake pudding pie and try to pass it off as the real deal. I kept telling myself when it cools down, I will make the real stuff. I will break out the pastry cutter and rolling pin and make the traditional homemade two crusted pastry deliciousness known as pie. Shameful, utterly shameful now that I think more about it.

I like pie. I more than like pie, I love pie. I am a pie snob. I want my pie homemade. I want my pie to be able to have a scoop of ice cream, warm from the oven and filling the house with that pie smell. I have never met a pie I didn't like, well I haven't met green tomato preserve  pie yet, that may not go so well, but I like pie.

I remember as a kid my grandmother making weird pies. She made gooseberry, mincemeat, raisin, and custard pies with coconut. Not the typical apple and cherry pies that my mom made. But I ate grandma's pie and loved them. As we grew older, grandma's made from scratch pies became replaced with "Mrs. Smith". We often would joke about those Mrs. Smith pre-made frozen pies, and we ate them, but secretly we yearned for the old fashioned goodness of real pie.

My mom made real pie when we were kids, but she soon became like grandma and started buying Mrs. Smith pies as well. She still does for the holidays unless I put my foot down and will volunteer to make real pies. A big part of me rebels about frozen bought pies for holidays. If there was any time in the world to celebrate with real pie, it is at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Of all the nerve, those fake frozen pies.

So today as I was making my chocolate pudding for my ice box pies, it hit me. I was such a Benedict Arnold. I wasn't buying frozen pre-made pies, but I might as well have been. I was assembling pre-made crusts with homemade chocolate pudding and calling it pie. Fifty lashes with a wet noodle for me.

The worst thing about it was the pies weren't even going to be for me. They were going to be for the neighbor who had helped me out one day. He never will take any pay but he will take pie. He loves pie, everybody loves pie.

Oh sure, I was making real pudding, not the boxed kind. I was separating and tempering those eggs for that chocolaty custard filling but it's those other bits of the pie that were fake. I tried to tell myself I could give them the gift of chocolate ice box pie and then later on, make him a real peach or apple pie. Maybe even make him TWO pies, one of each and maybe even make another EXTRA pie for a different neighbor who is always so nice. Yes, I would make a whole bunch of real pies with flaky crusts and bubbling apple, peach, and cinnamon goodness. After all, one can't just make one real pie if you are going to all the work to make pie crust. It's as easy to make 2 pies than to make one. What's another pie or two or three?

So I put my chocolate pudding in the fridge to cool with cling wrap gently placed on top to avoid that dreaded pudding skin and contemplated real vs. fake pie. I still haven't decided if I will go ahead and make the fake pies and then later make real pies, or if I should just skip being a fake and make the real deal.

I could run to town one day next week and get some peaches and in the early hours one morning, roll out some pie crust and bake a few pies before it gets too hot by afternoon. It wouldn't kill me to suffer through a day or morning in a hot kitchen to make the real McCoy.

There is the matter of that chocolate pudding though. And I do already have the fake cookie pie shell and the cool whip. If I didn't make pie for the neighbors, would I then be forced to have my pie and eat it too?.... Hmmm decisions, decision, do I or don't I? Real vs. fake?

It's a big decision. It's a slippery slope that pie making. I can feel myself going the way of Mrs. Smith's and abandoning my own pie principles. The more I think about it, the more I feel like I need to make real pie. My conscious has gotten the better of me and demands real pie.

Or it could be in cahoots with my tummy, and is thinking about having it's own slice of chocolate pudding ice box  pie...

30 comments:

  1. You are a step up from where I'm at. I don't even eat pie unless I buy it from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i could go for some pie- strawbery ruhbarb-- or raspberry- or apple - mmm bannan cream - mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pie.... pie crust.... oh, I will come to visit if you bake! my first mother in law made pie crust from scratch, I have always had an aversion to working with flour on my hands..... it creeps me out..... but I remember her pies, pecan pies.... yum.... I have found a local eatery: Main Street Grille.... all their baked goods from scratch, crumb cakes and muffins and yup! pies..... no frozen for us... I'll pay good money for pie.... but ice box pie will do in a pinch..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pie is one of those things I hardly have except for holidays and special occassions. I think that is why I a such a stickler for real pie...

    ReplyDelete
  6. reading this is really scary for me....
    like really...
    i know i cant avoid learning how to do this.....its not like its difficult...i know..it just requires practice...

    phew...wow...i have a lot of respect for people who regularly bake their own stuff....i have a nutty elder sister who bakes her own bread....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, lol,....I promise not to pop....but just to be sure, stand back a little ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol Yar, no drooling on my blog, you are getting it soggy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried rolling out the pie crust between two sheets of waxed paper? It's a lot of work, but there is such a difference with real pie crust and the frozen kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baking pies, making your own bread, pasta, all of that sort of stuff is becoming a lost art. A lot of times I find it is just finding the right recipe that works for you. It took several tries and different recipes before I found a pie crust that I liked and stuck with...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm.. I wasn't going to mention it but.. Since it will only top out at 72 f. Tomorrow, wifey is going to make Blueberry Pie! Tomorrow. I know it will drive you crazy to think of flakey bits of crust sprinkled on my shirt and little dribbles of blueberry filling on my chin and fingers.. So I debated on telling you.. I lost.. The little devil on my left shoulder won!
    He wants you to know that Wifey is rendering the lard NOW as I type this, to use in the crust. And she will use the blueberries that we picked yesterday morning at the u-pick farm..
    Mmmmmm..Mmmmm
    Did I say Mmmmmm already?
    (I'll take a pic for you)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, You are EVIL!!!....but do take pics ;))


    Hmmm fresh blueberries...lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. is it National Pie day already?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's when people throw them around I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you all the way here...give me a home made pie over Mrs. Smith ANY day. I classify myself as pie snob. I make my own crusts, make my own lemon pudding for lemon meringue pie (from my own lemons), peel my own apples, gently set the strawberries in my famous fresh strawberry glazed pie.... And my Grandmothers both made wonderfully strange pies (my Dad did love his mincemeat pie and Rhubarb pie)! Mom taught by example, but later gave up and bought the packaged crust mix, or frozen crusts. I'm still holding out making everything from scratch. My family members prefer my pie to cake any day.

    If you haven't decided yet...I'll vote for the real pie! :-) Go ahead and make the fake pie, but find some kids to give it to...they won't know the difference...yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last pie I made was a Banana Cream pie from my own bananas!!! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Baking pies is not a trend in India..some people do in Metro cities but I am sure noone has even heard of a pie in our villages. We get pies in the posh bakeries at hotels..or made to order, or in some quaint towns where the Brits established them and left them as a legacy to their anglo indian cousins. But..we have somethings similar..we bake stuffed breads..sweet and savoury...sometimes with a flaky crust too. With sweetened lentils, dates, fruits, chocy, pumkins..sweet potato or palm sugar. We also bake in an oven or a Tandoor,or pan fry stuffed breads, with layered dough....which is an art here, with chicken or meat mince, eggs, veggies, potato, garlic, chillies, onions, greens. My mum used to make a yummy chicken pie with cheese and white sauce in it. I used to bake like a dream many years ago...now anything I bake, even the dogs turn up their noses at it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's been ages since I made anything like that, it is easy to get out of practice....

    ReplyDelete
  19. you do write such a lovely read, Vic, I could get quite addicted to this you know...........................Pies ??? mmhhmm, I am not really a cake person, so any sweet pie might be wasted on me, though I do at times make an apple pie for the family dinner parties.............from scratch. Now a chicken and mushroom pie, would have me drooling at your door and begging for a slice...................but I would rather have chicken and mushroom stew with a slice of fresh home made bread with it. I bake all our own bread myself.

    I say bake the man a real pie, he seems to have deserved it and you know you want to bake a real one, then you can eat the fake one yourself, you know you want to???

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hot apple pie with warm cream and a slice of OLD cheese....yummy. Nothing like a real homemade pie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol, you are not helping! Yes I know I want to, but I don't need to! lol....well...maybe just a slice ;))

    I admire anyone would bakes bread, I have tried it a few times and my results were okay, but like a lot of things, I think I just need to practice more..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never eaten cheese with apple pie, but I will try and save up any old bits of cheese for you Misty......

    hmmm, now this hunk here I am not sure if it started out as blue cheese or was actually cheddar trying to confuse me by changing color... but, here ya go, have ya some cheese for that pie ....(wink)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vic, If I was the guy next door you could bring any kind of chocolate anything and I would like it. If and when I loose 5 more pounds I will make my specialty desert. Blackberry/blueberry dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you don't use that chocolate pudding, Vic....I could eat it for you and get it out of your way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol Sharon, if you were closer I would say come and get it!

    ReplyDelete