Saturday, July 7, 2012

Closet Inspiration

Today I have had a hard time thinking of a subject to write for a blog. My mind was drawing a blank, nothing was coming to me. I was beginning to think I was going to have to brave the heat and go for a walk and just start snapping pictures.

But today I found inspiration in the most unlikely of places, my bedroom closet. There is nothing really remarkable about my closet. It's small and cramped and STUFFED to the brim with things I have held on to. I don't even know why I have the majority of stuff in there.

It's to the point, I can't even add much more to the closet. It's at it's capacity, over the limit in fact. I have cleaned it out in the past, but somehow it always seems to get back to it's current state of brimming over.

I am not a clothes horse, or I never thought I was. I don't buy a new wardrobe every year. I keep the same thing and wear it over and over til it gives out or I just can't stand to see me wearing into another new decade. It's that practical side of me that refuses to toss clothes that are still good.

I have clothes from 5 years ago. Clothes from 10 years ago. I have clothes that I wore in high school still in my closet. Why I haven't parted with them, I have no idea. They don't' fit, they are out of style, and most likely will fall to pieces the next time I wash them. Just like one of those rugs I washed last week, that left some of it's rubber backing behind. I am still picking out pieces of rubber that emerge when using the washing machine.

It's that stuff that we hang on to that has me thinking today that I hang onto too much stuff. I need to do some serious closet cleaning. I need to toss or donate those old clothes. I am not sure who would want to wear a sparkly boat neck top from the 80's but I am sure there must be someone. People will surely fight over the mauve pink blazer that seemed like a good deal at the time. Everything seemed to be mauve and dusty blue in the 80's. Well when they weren't rocking out their sparkly gold boat neck top.

It's not just clothes that I have in there either. There are shoes. Not a lot of shoes from some women's standards, just a couple dozen pair. I counted 3 old pair of sneakers right on top of a pile of other shoes that really could be tossed. A part of me rebelled and told my inner self those would make good garden shoes. All of my old worn out sneakers get designated as garden shoes. It's just a given and not up for discussion my mind reeled.

I've got to do something though. I have no place to put anything new. I don't have any room for what I might buy today or tomorrow or in the near future. I am just too busy hanging on to old stuff.

I tend to do that with everything. It's an inner hoarder in me that refuses to let go. I hold on to things from the past and squirrel them away so that they are always there when I need to revisit them. It's nuts.

I don't know why it is hard to get rid of some things. I don't know why I cling to stuff that is old and no longer relevant. Why am I giving it much more meaning than it deserves? Past hurts or perceived wrongs..let it go! Past disappointments or a case of "could of, would of, should of" throw it out.

It's the weight of all that stuff that I horde that keeps me from letting new and current things in. If I am truthful with myself, none of that stuff that I keep holding on to is serving me any purpose, other than to hold me back from the possibilities of something new in my life.

When I think about my closet, my bedroom, the whole house, I can mentally tic off on one hand the things that I absolutely have to have, or want to save. Funny thing is, none of those things involves clothes (well except for maybe a change of underwear).

Things I would save:

1. The cat. She is a living thing and has value over stuff.

2. My purse. Not because it is full of money, but because it has my identification, driver's license, etc. etc. I don't want the hassle of trying to replace any of that. (I could mark this one down to laziness on my part).

3. My great grandmother's school bell. It's a small brass hand bell from when she first taught at a country school. It has some monetary value that is outweighed by it's sentimental value.

4. Photos. I would want to save the photos. Pics of people of my past and present and the memories they bring to mind that make me smile and feel melancholy.

5. A large old crock. It was something that I bought at an auction years ago. One of the few times my father and I bonded over anything. A shared love of going to auctions and sales to look for treasure.

There are a few other things, but nothing that I really couldn't replace if I had the money. That seems to be the recurring theme a lot with me. I am always afraid that down the line, I won't have the money to invest in or replace what I currently have, so I hold onto it. Something I do with memories, and feelings, and situations as well. It needs some cleaning out too. I need to just hoard those few things that I value more than the rest.

1. Words of encouragement

2. A warm embrace

3. Kindness

4. Compassion

5. Strength from within

I feel the urge to clean coming on. I need to get garbage bags and boxes and organizers and all sorts of things to start the process. If I look and dig deep enough, I might find more in there than I knew I had. And maybe I will find those big gold dangly ear rings to go with the gold sparkle boat neck blouse.

27 comments:

  1. I don't buy new panties until holes start appearing in them

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have no ''closets'' as such.I have 5 bedrooms..and 21 ( I think..I tried to count) wardrobes in this house. This is excluding the 2 steel old almirahs/safes in dad's study. Each bedroom has 2 large wooden wardrobes and 1 large steel almirah/safe. Some are in the corridors..2 are in my passage..4 are up in my store room.I have an over 200 year old safe in my kitchen pantry..noone knows its there as I built a wood casing around it and my various steel containers of flour, rice, sugar and lentils sit on it. The safe is 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide..has 4 inch thick walls and was made in Uk..it cant be lifted as its over 400 kgs. And presently all it contains is a really old carved tea service..probably as old as the safe. All my wardrobes (other than the ones in my bedroom and dads bedroom) ..steel safes and smaller cabinets are filled with linen..extra clothes..mum's sarees..grandmas sarees..winterwear..curtains..silver..so much JUNK..which is too expensive to give away..and I am too sentimental about it to throw it out or sell it...so I'm going to let my daughter deal with it all after I die. But until I am alive..and I am ONE BIG hoarder...even my 1st loveletter..my mum's baby frock..my grammas wedding saree..my dad's first tux...etec etec..remains. The only things I throw out is bad thoughts, negativity and the urges to get even with people who have done me wrong. Pouts like Cyndie Lauper and screeches the song ''I'm a material girl''... (bye the way , nice blog Vic...and boy, can I ramble !!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a nice blog...I think we all have some hoarder in us

    ReplyDelete
  4. hoarder.... raises hand.... am guilty....

    many many years ago, I started a new motto in my life: nothing new comes in, until something old goes out..... [ I have this thing for collecting towels and linens.... and then never using them....]
    of course I just stopped buying things....
    and then came the time that I had no choice but to lean out my belongings.... it can be done, when we know what matters...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I collect valuable stuff. Others call it junk until they need some of it. Sounds like ya have Fibbers closet. Ya don't keep clothes too long. I still have my ARMY Boots from July 1962.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vic we must be sisters. I never wanted to use the word 'hoarder'...but you give me courage.

    See me standing at the podium: "Hello my name is Sharon and I am a hoarder."

    This is a great blog, Vic. And actually I needed to read this. I did just clean out a closet with the help of a grandaughtrer who is good at organizing and she helpd me 'get rid of stuff'. But we have a shed and a basement full of "stuff". You know in that closet we were finding lots of stuff I didn't even remember I had....and so if it was not of deep sentimental value, my Angelina said, "Grandma just let it go." But I needed someone there with me saying that to me.

    And you know Vic, you have just become a nice helpful voice in my head for the next cleaning out project. You made such good points, but as usual brought some gentle humor and made it possible to face a problem closet. And also with the mental closets. Thanks Vic. *hug*

    If you find the big gold dangly ear rings......please understand that we will need a picture of you wearing the ear rings with the gold sparkle boat neck blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just getting broken in by then huh? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can understand holding on to those things Zee, they are a bit of your history. A lot of stuff I still cling to has no sentimental value, it's just taking up space....

    ReplyDelete
  9. (sigh) some of us more than others,lol.... (waving hello...thanks for stopping by!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. underwear and tear happens

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to adopt that idea! It would certainly not increase my clutter any, even if I didn't get it all cleaned out. I could actually rationalize that to myself. Thanks!

    Hello bytheway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol Guy, I think you can safely assume you won't be called back to active duty, but I bet those Army boots would still out last anything on the market today. Closets can be treasure troves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeek! Sharon, it would cause all of you to have violent 80's flashbacks of "Solid Gold Dancers" and find yourself humming Hall and Oates tunes.... I can't put you all thru that, you might not make it back to the present. You could get stuck in the time warp. Oh the guilt I would have....(yeah, it would be a hideous pic,lol).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glenda told me today that I wasn't as bad as those people on TV that I AM a hoarder! 8-o

    She may have a point . . . and maybe you've given me MY blog for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol Oz, I was going to put in my top 5 most unusual finds in my closet, and ask if anyone could top them. I have a feeling more of you might be able to top them than I originally thought...

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL Yes, I might get you there IF I were willing to mightily embarrass myself . . . and I'm NOT! ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmm....being in the army and moving every two years and never really getting a proper house with enough closets....i really cannot afford to hoard stuff....every time we pack ....i try to go through all the trunks, boxes, wooden crates....everything...[ psst...i have 80 odd huge steel trunks and big crates extra and some 30 plants ] ....i even carry the stone benches each time we move...:))

    nah but....there is a method to all this...why i keep what i keep....see...the books i cannot let go....the plants i cant....obviously the furniture....linen....and old keepsakes....

    but clothes....toys....shoes....that kind of stuff i recycle yearly

    memories....?---hell never...i love being buried under the weight of my past.....:))

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved reading this blog . . . Cleaning out closets is like a treasure hunt . . . You find all KINDS of fascinating things . . .

    I especially loved this part . . . "I don't know why it is hard to get rid of some things. I don't know why I cling to stuff that is old and no longer relevant. Why am I giving it much more meaning than it deserves? Past hurts or perceived wrongs..let it go! Past disappointments or a case of "could of, would of, should of" throw it out.

    It's the weight of all that stuff that I horde that keeps me from letting new and current things in. If I am truthful with myself, none of that stuff that I keep holding on to is serving me any purpose, other than to hold me back from the possibilities of something new in my life."

    It IS very freeing, once you get past all the sadness and overwhelming hardness to let go of 'stuff' . . . Emotional baggage works the same way . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hung onto things and still do in a small way, but the one and only time I had to downsize/cleanout was moving from a 4 bedroom house to a condo/2 bedroom and no garage/basement to store stuff in. That was the worst experience I ever went thru. I only kept three things...wooden china cabinet my dad made me...wooden stool my middle son made in high school wood shop and a little rocking chair my grand daughter didn't want to part with.
    I've always hated spring/fall cleanouts my mum insisted I do. Hated to part with a thing. Mom was a tosser and dad was a hoarder.
    That one thing in and one thing out isn't in my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Must mention...many years back..I found in the pantry cupboard, a huge and heavy dark green cast iron contraption..it was a lump of iron..with a tiny slit on the top, and a longer slit at the bottom..and a rotating handle that turned around. All it said was "Made in Germany''...and for years we could not figure out what the hell it was. Until one day my dad's cousin visited us and he told me it was a bean slicer..to slice out fine french beans. Lol! What patience people had..to insert each bean, rotate the handle and watch it fall out all finely sliced at the bottom !! Needless to say I still have it somewhere stored away in a trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol Zee, I guess they thought it would be too dangerous to slice each bean by hand with a knife. I could see kids enthralled with feeding the beans into the contraption. It would be a good way to keep them occupied..

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a good one Geoff! Yes, Hope should be on the list too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this blog Vic , if I had to clean out a cupboard at home , I will still be there next year

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm wondering how many off those that have vanished around here are stuffed in one of Vic's closets? I know she will do whatever it takes to protect her hoards of chocolate and other candies. I know I'm not the only one wondering this but am shocked no one else has mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol Robert, Sally and I will miss you on that trip to Florida...we will send you a postcard ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Vero has not vanished...she is around here somewhere...maybe under that pile of garden magazines I keep saving? ;)

    ReplyDelete