Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hayseed

Today I realized just what a hayseed I am.

I made a comment on fb to Zee about how I don't see how she does it. Living with neighbors so closely packed together. I think she must have rolled her eyes a bit when she mentioned to me, it would be no different than living in New York, LA, or any city.

I had one of those "doh" moments when I realized just how stupid my comment sounded. Of course Zee was right, it wouldn't be any different for anyone else, but it would be different for me.

I am a country girl. I have always lived in a rural area. Either in the country or in a tiny town, the closest thing to a traffic jam is when two combines meet on the road.

Sometimes I forget that the rest of the world isn't like my world. I forget that things move at faster paces, and people travel from parts all over in just a matter of hours. Whether by plane, train, or automobile, the amount of travel and the speed at one gets to their destination, is quite a marvel.

I have never been on a plane. Never been on a train. Never took the subway anywhere, in fact my main mode of travel has always been by car. The first vehicle I ever learned to drive was an old Ford pick-up with huge extended side mirrors. A leftover from it's previous camper excursions. It was two toned, unless you count the rust and then it was three. It had the old dimmer switch on the floor, and cruise control was not an option. It served me well though, and if I learned one thing on those back roads of Nebraska, it is never to drive on a dirt road when it is raining.

Today when talking to my mom, she mentioned her sister had called her and talked about going on another trip. She already has a trip planned to Europe in a couple of months, but now she was thinking of a second trip. A trip to Australia. My mom has two sisters who both travel a lot in their retirement. They send her postcards from Alaska, Peru, Africa, and their latest cruise ship travels. Every year it's a new trip, a new destination. Sometimes those two sisters will travel together with their spouses, but most of the time they travel separately, Secretly I think it is so they can "one up" the other on their travel adventures.

I feel bad for my mom though. She never travels. Her big trip will involve driving to Omaha or Lincoln and doing a bit of shopping before heading back home. She doesn't even make it out of the state. Oh she has been places before, she lived in different spots around the country, but she doesn't travel like her sisters do. Being a stay at home mom for years, we never were a double income family growing up. Mom only went to work when we were old enough and my dad's health continued to decline. Even after the passing of my day, mom's finances didn't improve much. There were the bills and a funeral to pay for and home repairs to be made that had been put off.

I asked mom if she would like to travel too, and her answer was "no". I think a part of her would have said yes. It's hard to travel when you are single. One hates to feel like a fifth wheel, and every time she travels a short distance with her sisters to a wedding or family event, she swears it will be her last. I can understand her viewpoint.

Her body is the other culprit. Traveling involves sitting for long stretches, something she doesn't think she is able to do any more. When looking closely at her, you can tell from her hands she suffers the ravages of arthritis. Swollen joints, big knuckles, fingers that refuse to cooperate and stay straight, twist and turn in different directions. Her feet are even worse.

Sometimes I get a little resentful for her. I get irritated with her sisters that call to tell her of their trips they are planning. I get a little peeved that not only can she not afford the trips, her health and being widowed adds to her burdens of why she doesn't take big trips.

I envy those who travel. It sounds like fun, it looks like fun, but it's something I never put as a priority for me. I blame it on the practical side of me that thinks of the cost and just what I could buy or invest with those funds. I can't swim, so cruises don't float my boat. I am afraid of heights, so flying is beyond my reach. The thought of traveling on a subway daily makes me feel claustrophobic.

I don't think I have much of that wanderlust in me. I keep hearing Jim Stafford's words echoing thru my mind of "taking a trip and never leaving the farm". And no, don't worry, I am not given to smoking anything funny or rolled, those silly lyrics just seem to fit my mindset on traveling.

I think back on Zee's comment today and wonder if I shouldn't make more of an effort to travel more. To become less set in my ways and if I shouldn't make myself a little uncomfortable with something new. I look down at my hands and can only mentally compare them with my mom's. So far, my fingers are straight...well except for that little pinky finger that curves in a bit on that joint. Some days I do notice a little swelling in some of the joints after a few hours of weeding or string trimming.

Some days I feel to old to travel, and other days I feel like I should think about traveling before I get to old. It's something I will have to talk my practical side into though. Who knows maybe one day I will even get onto a plane. Some days I look at my mom and can't believe at one time in her life, she didn't just fly in a plane, she flew one. Now that is what I call traveling...

 

31 comments:

  1. i go drugmart- wendy's findley is that considerd travlin -- rofl -i just enjoy being anywhere -but don't like crowds - -yes i could live in a comfy cave - as long as i had a pretty nirghbor lol-and a dog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to see places but I don't like to travel. I'm a homebody, I like to sleep in my own bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mother always told me to travel before I got to old to enjoy it.... I stowed away into America before I was born, mom and I traveling as passengers on the ship my father worked on.... first plane ride was at 3 years old to my mother's homeland Germany, my most recent plane ride 2 months ago, to visit my only son and DIL where they live in Istanbul... [go see my pictures]
    I love travel.... there were LARGE stretches in my life where planes were out and cars were in.... and as I get older, I 'feel' too old to go through the sometimes weary process of flight... but once I get going, I am always glad to be on my way!

    my new husband [we flew to Hawaii to get married] does not want to travel far, but I am dragging him here and there when time and money permits... I don't want any 'thing' anymore, I don't need any 'thing' anymore, but I do want to travel more....

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is nothing wrong with being a homebody.... everyone is different....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vic:
    Well, I used to be a travelin' man but haven't left this Island for almost 14 years. The furthest from home I've been in that time was about 100 miles - a cycling trip. Perhaps I'll get the bug again someday, I have vague thoughts of driving across Canada again. And going far enough north to be above the tree line. Perhaps...someday.

    When I was cycling yesterday I got to a place where the only human sound was the distant rumbling of a tractor. And the smells of "the country"(including pig poop)took me back to my rural kidhood i. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have traveled some, but not much . . . I have done one cruise, been to Canada (briefly) and Mexico (also briefly) but like oz, I like my own bed, my own bathroom, my own space. I have friends who travel extensively and I love hearing about their adventures, seeing their photos, and listening to their excitement, but . . . I am content with that. Oh, I sometimes dream of going to Alaska and hiking a glacier and seeing the Northern Lights or visiting ancient ruins in South America like Machu Picchu (however you spell it) . . . but I don't know if those things are really high enough on my list to ever really happen . . . I loved the Grand Canyon (and would rather go there than Las Vegas) . . . Yosemite and the redwood forests in Northern California . . . Mt. Rushmore (and I still think that the Black Hills are the most gorgeous place on earth) . . . I would love to see the autumn colors in New England some day . . . snorkel in the gulf of Mexico . . . but . . . honestly . . . my travels always revolve around people, more than places . . . People matter more to me than sights . . . My husband was in the air force and spent those years flying all over the world, and he got his wanderlust out of his system, and I am content . . . so . . .

    Who knows what the future will bring . . . ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to teach you to swim...

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol Yar, what if you just had a pretty dog could you make do? lol...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit I am spoiled...I like the creature comforts. It's why camping isn't really high on my list. Why suffer with no a/c, running water AND bugs when you can go to the Holiday Inn? lol..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can understand that. The older we get, the more stuff we acquire til we look around one day and think WHY in the heck did I buy all of this stuff that is just collecting dust? I guess it's the frugal part of me that feels the need for something concrete...

    ReplyDelete
  11. When people post pics or talk of the part of the world they live in, that is when I think that maybe I should reconsider traveling. I know there is amazing stuff out there, stuff that shouldn't just be seen in a picture...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think part of it is the age thing too. Some view traveling as something to do while younger to get it out of your system. And some as they get older, view traveling as being something last chance, to see the world before they die or are unable to...

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah...swim the fishes...I know paybacks when I see it....Seriously, those science experiements I did on you over on Trudi's page weren't so bad... Your eyebrows have almost grown back and the limp is way less noticeable now. Eventually you will stop lighting up when I use the microwave, and the buzzing in your ears is really a trapped mosquito...Honest! :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh come on... it is important to prevent dehydration.

    Besides, I am a walking neon signboard now so the least you could do is to let me teach you to breathe underwater.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just remember Dorthy. She traveled to The Land of Oz and soon discovered that there "is no place like home".

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a wonderful Blog Vic ,I love to travel but we live in a town and I have to get out to see the countryside . You and Sally are the same she is not happy with flying as for cruises that a no no ,You stay as you are and enjoy you way of life as for you Mum that was the was to travel to fly the plane .

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you should do whatever makes you happy. That is travel to some and home for others etc. I love to travel and see things. I hate flying but the lure of the USA over rides that. There are only certain places I will go. Yes, it does cost money but as my mother died at 67 I am taking no chances - it has taught me to do what you can when you can and dont wait for later life if you can do it now. No one knows what tomorrow will bring. Do what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We kinda sound related Vic ~ i hate to leave my home even to go to the store. I'm not a shopper and travel is well out i hate crowds and i have not gone much north from Atlanta. I did move to Oklahoma for a while but it didn't take me long to move back home ; ) It was just ment for me to be at home so when my family travels they have somewhere to come ; ) Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not slamming you Vic because I know exactly where you are coming from and couldn't agree with you more.
    One of my pet peeves in life is when people use the Name New York and the first thought that comes to mind as a response is the city. I have traveled some of the world while in the military and found that response everywhere.

    I grew up in New York. Not the city. Our home was surrounded with corn fields and apple orchards, Cow pastures, fields of alfalfa, potatoes and glads. I learned to drive on an old Ford Tractor and then moved up to the farm international rack track loading the days work every evening or as the sun came up feeling like I was the king of the world being allowed to drive. Our roads were dirt that were maybe sprayed down once a year with a tar mix to hold the dust down. I never knew much about the outside world until I did join the military. I never traveled much unless it was to a farmers market or to visit a relative.

    It's just that New York City is such a very small piece of New York State but when it comes to recognition, the city gets all the credits. It's one of the reasons why the rest of the state resent it. The city itself squeezes the rest of the state dry in so many aspects. Taxes being at the top of the list.

    Some say LA and we all know where they are talking about. Why not say NYC in referencing that other place, lol?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a wonderful chatty blog, Vic and I only saw it now, was working my way through the inbox and nearly missed it.*grins* this time difference is killing me.................when you post I am asleep and vice versa ................

    I understand where you come from, though I have travelled quite a bit in my life. Originally from Denmark and emigrated here at only 20, had already travelled Europe so now was Africa's turn, that is as far as I got though except for a business trip to Maui, Hawai in 1998 and back and forth visiting my family still in Denmark.

    I am content, with my new life after many years of unhappiness, my husband and I work from home, so together 24/7, I love that. I toodle around in my own little bubble of happiness, not really hankering to go off anywhere else any longer. Just the thought of having to travel all the way to Denmark again, gives me red spots.................putting it off. Going to the shops can wait till tomorrow and today I had to kick myself in the behind to get out to see clients, I breathed a sigh of relief as I turned in the gates to home. Maybe time to do something drastic about it, sell up , buy a caravan and travel, oh no wait, I did that once already LOL...............would love to do that though. What we would live on is another story................

    If you do get the hankering, come to South Africa. I have loads of room here, we are thinking of making the house into a bed and breakfast now the kids have all left home, seems silly having 5 empty bedrooms. Really, just hop on a plane.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol Sharon, very true...and she did pick up a kewl pair of slippers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Robert, not being able to swim has me reeling at the thought of being surrounded by all of that water while on a cruise ship... Well then there is the whole Titanic thing too,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is so true, and deep down we all know that inside of us, but we still find ourselves putting things off til it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have to be in the mood to shop. Some days I dread having to go to the store, especially if I know it is going to be packed with people. The rudeness of grown adults just floors me some days....(don't even get me started on lazy people and shopping carts,lol)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah I am guilty of thinking of New York City any time anyone says New York. And I would have to go back to view the comment made of fb to see if Zee said just New York or if she said New York City. Either way, it is my fault for just lumping all of New York in with New York City...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I will add it to the list!;)) I have to admit, that by chatting with a lot of people here on the internet, hearing them talk of their countries is what makes me rethink and consider traveling to see their part of the world. A lot of amazing things to see and experience. I am not sure if I could buy a caravan and travel. I always have nightmares about being broken down on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vic. You talking about your mom pulled at my heart. I miss my momma. I have lived on an Island for two years. Been halfway around the world, walked the streets of New York and I would rather be at home then any place. I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks and am going back there in two weeks. That's my favorite place to visit. Those hills just make me feel at peace. I do watch out for banjo's which would take me out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Until I chatted with friends from New York..I knew of it only as the city..the typical picture..very tall buildings, the Statue of Liberty. ( I did say NY Vic) Then I chatted with a man who said he lived in NY and had no neighbours within 25 miles of him lol. It was an education. We at this distance perceive only what is usually potrayed. I have lived in very small towns ( when I worked, I was posted at a lot of strange places around India)..I have lived in Mumbai, which they say is a lot like NYC...big metros in India like Delhi and others..I have lived in the country too. And even now when I visit my daughter I prefer to stay at their farm house rather than their town house. But travel is my PASSION..it was my ambition to become a travel journalist..I wanted to travel all over the globe and take pictures, write about the places, cultures, lifestyles, food. I have travelled far and wide all over my country..which is no mean feat as it is a very large country. And a couple of other countries in Asia. But I have this dream to travel to Uk, Europe, NZ, Aus...and parts of Usa to meet some friends I have made online. I also want to see Africa..China..Afghanistan (most picturistic country, but sadly dangerous now) If I had my way, and the money...big money..I don't like low budget travelling..I'd be on the next flight out NOW!! I am not scared of travelling alone..a friend would be a bonus ofcourse..( coming Vic? ) But I know with my kind of disposition, I would be making new friends all along..I even chat with the room service guys. Noone can be alone in a world full of people. Pray that my dream comes true, and I get to see a few places before it's too late. I am saving and working very hard on making it come true.

    ReplyDelete
  29. there was some fun moments, but the small space eventually gets to you. We moved around South Africa with a construction company.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hope it does Zee! If anyone deserves it, it is you!!.... (I will want your autograph if you become famous with your travel pics and writings)...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ah, that wouldn't be as much fun as being able to pick your own destinations... I can see now why you might give it a try again if you had a choice of where to travel ;))

    ReplyDelete