Monday, July 9, 2012

Captain Kirk, Janet, and June

I've been hanging out with Captain Kirk, Janet, and June alot. They are sorta neighbors, sorta friends, but mainly they are hostas. They are some of the new hostas I planted this spring when putting in a new hosta bed.

They were just little things, small divisions, not even out on their own when they were shipped off to Nebraska to find a new home here. They seem to be adjusting well despite being uprooted from their old residence.

They are all a little bit different. It's what attracted me to them. Their blooms are insignificant being either white or lavender, but it's their leaves that make me giddy with excitement.

One day, they will grow big and bushy and make a splash in the border just by being green. They will be a bit of a tropical oasis in my backyard. Something only I will see. They are tucked in an area between the house and garage and unless someone walks all the way around the house, they won't see them.

But I know they are there. They are just there for me. It's that selfish part of me that wants my own retreat. My own vacation spot in my own yard. I liken it to people who cut flowers to bring them inside. Nobody sees or smells their blossoms but the person who placed them in their vase. It's like a secret. A secret beauty that we alone are privy too.

It will be awhile before they are mature though. They are facing adverse conditions with the heat and drought. The shade helps. The watering helps. The mulch is a life saver. I'm doing all I can to encourage them to grow and be happy and in return make me happy.

This morning I wasn't so happy. As I waited and waited for the rain predicted on the weather channel this morning, it never arrived. It was all going South, way South of me. I could only shake my mental fist in anger at the tv and threaten to never "Wake up with Al" again. Take that Al Roker.

So I drug the hose around and gave them the life saving moisture that they crave. Their tired little stems looking more life-like the more I watered them. I was mesmerized how the water beaded up on the textured leaves and glistened like little diamonds on their green pillow leaves.

We are close, my hostas and me. I know all their names by heart. Some are growing by leaps and bounds, and others are taking their time. Content in being the last to mature. Hostas come in all different shapes and sizes and all of the ones I planted were to be of close to similar size. Medium to large. Captain Kirk is being difficult though. The Captain appears to be a slow grower and I am hoping in time he catches up and dazzles me. So far, it's kinda iffy.

Janet has grown twice the size she was at planting. Her leaves though mainly green are starting to turn and show some promise of interest. She may be more golden by the end of the growing season. It's okay if she wants to, in fact I encourage her individuality...

 

June is a show off. June is getting so big...so bold...so colorful. She is going to be showstopper. She is going to be a glory hog, I can just feel it in my gardening bones.

There are two of the hostas that are similar, both sorta like cousins in the hosta world. There is always improvements and new introductions with all plants, and I already had "Guacamole" when I ordered "Stained Glass" as well...

 

 

I have tried to assemble a group of all stars. All star hostas, that will shine and stand out on their own. Each chosen for it's size, coloration and leaf form. "Jimmycrackcorn" was a must have. A bright goldish green that eventually with age will be sporting rippled edge leaves called "pie crust". I have developed a lust for pie crust. Evidently something else has too as Jimmy has been nibbled on by some perpetrator.

I don't take lightly to nibblers. I will take no prisoners, heads will roll, bug guts will be shed. Poor Jimmy, he will come out of it though. This just isn't going to be his year to shine.

"Regal Splendor" is going to be a splendor. It's leaves edged in a creamy loveliness. With my favorite hosta Krossa Regal in it's lineage, it can't lose.

I look at all of my new hosta acquisitions with the same critical eye. They need to grow, they need to thrive, they need to find their own way in the garden. I expect them all to succeed with a little coaxing and support from myself. So that one day they can grow up and become what they were meant to be... beautiful.

My eye can't help but wander over to "Striptease" and I find myself oooohing, "oh you are looking mahvelous dahling".

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic to be so gaga over hostas, but I can't seem to help it. If I could, I would plant a 100 more. For now I will just have to be content with the dozen or so I put in this spring. Til next year when I can find some place new to tuck in a few more, for my tropical oasis.

 

 

 

21 comments:

  1. I swear, reading these gardening blogs is going to turn me into a gardener yet . . . I think my thumbs are getting greener by the minute . . . I HATE dirt and bugs and having an aching back and dirt under my nails, but when I hear gardeners describe the beauty of their gardens and the soul satisfying work of planting and pruning and nurturing something inside of me is deeply moved . . .

    You paint such a beautiful, sensual, sensory-rich garden with your words . . . Now *I* want a garden, TOO . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start small, with a flower planter where you can see it daily. A garden doesn't have to be big. It just has to a be a little spot of something growing and living where it is planted.... Also putting the planter where you will see it daily will remind you to water it,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I never paid much attention to hostas but this was quite interesting, thanks for the tour, Vic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You named your plant Capt Kirk? Okay. I agree with Semisweetsioux...I hate getting dirt under my fingernails too..hence I don't garden. Love your passion for it though..and Vero's...such a fruitfull exercise even though sometimes just flowers are involved. Loved the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww I talk to my plants too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I talk to plants but thay still will not move ,so Sally has to move them .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your hostas! and I want them! beware of night stalkers..... lol...
    I moved to NC from Mi in 2009.... I had the most wonderful hostas all over my yard in Mi., an oasis as you say.... I brought ONE will me.... it transplanted well.... but the deer wander through here, and as soon as a few succulent leaves appear by morning they are gone! I need to keep it going until the fall, when I can dig it up and move it to a more sheltered area.... If I had my way, my back yard border would be all hostas and day lillies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the names for your Hostas. We have one...by the pond. And Vic, I am gonna pray for your dear friends, the Hostas. This is a lovely blog. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *smiling from ear to ear* ....such a beautiful blog. I love gardening myself, but I only do herbs and vegetables, I think Russell can identify with your hostas though, he trusts me nowhere the flower garden as I have been known to pull the flowers and leave the weeds, cause they were pretty lol....................hostas.............*grins*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol you can always get gardening gloves! Vero would understand... Vero has the same sickness... She is my enabler and I, hers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are a captive audience! The cat, not so much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol Robert, we can talk all we want to them, but most days they just never listen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am getting more into daylilies. I blame Vero fo that (I can type that as she isn't looking at the moment). My problem is wanting everything and just not having the time, energy, or space.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sharon, they need all the help they can get... me too come to think of it,lol. Hope you are having a good day today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some days after weeding I think it might have been easier to pull the flowers and leave the weeds,lol. Pics, pics, share pics! Wanna see your (and Russells!) gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vic. I used to do flowers but don't anymore. I wasn't very pecially my Esthergood. I do admire and appreciate you & others (especially my Esther) who plant and nurture beautiful flowers for the rest of us lazy people to enjoy, Good Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My part time cat listens to me when I speak. Your cat takes you for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do cats really listen? Or do they just appear to be listening while they contemplate?...

    ReplyDelete
  19. They do! When I say "Come here!!!" She comes. When I say "Time to go out" she knows its time for her to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I understand your fling with Hostas... I cant grow them here they don't like it.. I think its too hot or humid or something .. I really like them tho .. Yes cats understand and you can train them .. they just appear not to listen .. I have had a lot of cats that do as they are told .. my old cat I have now is very obedient! The young ones are not so good as the old one yet but they are getting there.

    ReplyDelete