Sunday, July 15, 2012

Nerve

They took it. I know they did. I didn't see them actually take it, but I knew it, I knew they were the culprits.

I heard a door slam very early this morning. Then another, and another. Hoops, and hollering and laughter. They were at it again. The kids, well technically teenagers, were across the street next door goofing around at just after 5a.m.

I wasn't surprised, they are there all hours of the night some week-ends. Usually they come at midnight and stick around til 1 or 2 before taking off home or other parts unknown.

But this morning they were there early just before daylight. Just before it was light enough for me to go search for the Sunday paper.

Of all the nerve! I knew they took it, they knew I knew that they took it. They knew I was watching them. I didn't trust them, first my paper, then who knows what next. Usually I pay them no mind, kids will be kids was my motto. All kids hung out and drank beer at some part of their adolescence. Other than picking up a bit of trash and empty beer cans the next day I usually had no problems with them.

But they had crossed the line. They had stolen that most sacred of things, my Sunday paper. I think they knew they had erred in their ways too. They didn't stay long. Just long enough to drink a few beers, play in the cornfield across the road and toss ears of corn at each other. When it was lighter and they had left I went in search of my paper.

I found it, ripped from it's brightly colored orange plastic wrap. It was rumpled, damp from the wet grass and looking a bit forlorn but it was all there. I bundled up my paper and walked back across the street feeling like my paper had  been violated. Gone was it's new fresh paper smell, it felt dirty and used and I was half way tempted to toss it and get a new paper. But that would have been ridiculous. So I read my paper half hearted-ly but it didn't feel the same. My quiet, idyllic Sunday morning had me fuming.

I noticed there seemed to bit of that going around on the internet lately. Mr. Oz posted yesterday about a lady trying to make off with some shirts at his garage sale. Already at the cheap price of a dollar, she evidently thought the deal wasn't sweet enough.

I read on a fellow face booker's wall about their neighbors sneaking over and stealing the rocks from their rock garden so they could build a fire pit. I was glad to hear he did get his rocks back, but it makes you wonder just what are people thinking?

My mom came thru the door the other day very agitated and upset. "What's wrong", I asked. "They are at it again", she replied. "They are driving thru my yard again". It's the same old story from last year. There is a guy in town who has a 4-wheeler and likes to drive it thru her front yard. There is an alley way up at one end of her yard, and a private access road down the hill at the bottom of her backyard. Across from it, is another piece of land that is all timber and brush and it also belongs to my mom. To the South of her is a farm field, and to the North of her is the road that curves around a corner.

The 4-wheeler guy likes to drive down the alley from his yard and drive thru her front yard, behind her chicken coop and another shed to drive down the access road into the farmer's field and into the wooded areas beyond. Most times he just drives thru the front yard, but he will on occasion drive thru her back yard, a couple times, even thru her garden in the early spring and winter. He will maneuver his way thru the wooded area, driving thru the other plot of land of hers and end up back on the road, making giant circles.

Last year when my brother lived here he had a talk with him and it stopped. Well, now that my brother has moved from the area it has started up again. I guess the guy feels he has nothing to fear from a little old lady. He would be surprised to know that little old lady wanted to put up an electric fence and hoped he would run into it. I had to talk my mom out of that. Even though it would give her some small satisfaction it would be dangerous. I warned her about him getting clothes-lined. He could be seriously hurt, and even though he was trespassing he would sue her for any injuries and would most likely win. That is just how our justice system seems to be any more.

It makes you wonder just what in the world is going on? Just when was it that the world started being so indifferent, so callous, so self absorbed to think that anything goes. If they want something, take it. If they see an opportunity for personal gain, take it. It's not just from the current younger generation, it's everyone.

You wait patiently in line, someone always tries to cut in, and then acts indignant when called out on it. Driving the speed limit and following the traffic rules, somebody passes around you on the shoulder of the road so they won't have to obey the limit behind you. It's the people that steal flowers from your yard, steal parking spaces from the handi-capped, pocket items accidentally lost by others. It's a constant sense of entitlement and believing that rules don't apply to them, or their kids, or their pets, or anything that would inconvenience them.

It drives me nuts this lack of basic good manners. This lack of integrity and doing the right thing, and recognizing boundaries, and of what is just right and wrong.

Today the phone rang and upon answering it, was the blaring pre-recorded political message by a current presidential candidate. I could only put the phone back on it's cradle with a little more force than usual. I could only mutter under my breath about telemarketers and the like calling on a Sunday. Of all the nerve!

34 comments:

  1. You've got SOME nerve Miss Vic!!! But you're still a wonderful chocolate covered frosty, pink treat! ;-)

    Everywhere you look it seems like the people who lie, cheat and steal and take advantage of others are the ones who win. Everyone wants a piece of that pie. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's time to buy some cheap nails and drop a few here and there for those jerks driving on other people's property I don't answer the phone if I don't know the number in the caller ID..... and you are really right, what has the world come to???

    ReplyDelete
  3. To add to Ms Owen's suggestion... try driving iron pickets down... just low enough so they cant be seen... typically, the 4 wheelers have very thick wheels, so you need bigger 'nails' to puncture them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never understand why people who do not respect others don't know that treating each other with kindness and respect feels so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely agree - what *has* this world come to? So many people nowadays seem to be a bunch of rude, arrogant, selfish jerks that think they are entitled to anything they want. And it's mostly the young people. I think it's mostly that they've been spoiled. Mom and Dad didn't want them to have it as hard as they did, so they spoiled them. Thanks folks!!

    I like your mama's way of thinking - but I think she needs an electric BARBWIRE fence. ;)

    Or, she could just step out in the yard and fire a shotgun in the air - that should get his attention...

    *sigh* But yeah - you're right - she'd probably get in trouble or sued by the arrogant jerk.

    Seriously though, I'd put up no trespassing signs, and call the cops every time he drove across my yard if I was her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom needs three things

    1) A "No Trespassing" sign
    2) A good rifle with ammo
    3) Rifle lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure seems so, and it's not like we can blame parents who coddle their kids and refuse to make them behave, so often it's the adults themselves who have no sense of crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We talked about that, but that won't work as she drives a riding lawn mower to mow the yard, she would be her own worst enemy,lol... She needs to put up a fence, but one that is more than just an electric wire. Something she really didn't want to have mow and trim around or have the added expense of...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, that would probably do the trick, if it weren't for the fact she mows with a riding lawn mower. She really doesn't need to hit those with the mower, she already hits rocks and sticks and other things that become lethal projectiles,lol...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is sad Sharon, people are just out for #1 and it doesn't matter to them, how they achieve it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought her two signs to put up, but I am thinking I should have gotten a couple more, one for each side or on both ends of her property lines. She already has talked to one of her neighbors and asked them to call the police if he is back driving his 4 wheeler when she is gone at work or shopping, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, "she will shoot her eye out"... And darn it, if she hadn't already given all of dad's old guns to my brothers. She just has to bite the bullet and start being a little more mean. Some people when you give them an inch, they take a mile...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Someone needs to have a serious TALK with the trespasser and tell him to respect his neighbors property lines. Maybe a nice policeman could go over and convince him that it is not nice to DRIVE ACROSS OTHER PEOPLE'S LAWNS without their permission. Good grief. The nerve of the guy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow....like really.....wow

    yeap..i agree...your mum needs to sprinkle some nails...something to sort out those tires....call the cops atleast....def. !

    and you need a dog ...that sleeps outside..!

    ReplyDelete
  15. sending Kenneth over to slap that oke silly with a cucumber.................wait you don't know that story, so might not understand...............hang a sec..................

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://klintm.multiply.com/journal/item/541/WARNING-THIS-BLOG-IS-LONG-SO-MAKE-YOURSELF-COMFORTABLE-FIRST...............................

    my gosh had to go right back to April, the cucumber story is about in the middle of this long novel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is all over the world, not just the youngsters, older people too. No manners, no patience, no empathy with other people. You must see the road rage we have here at times....................shuh, I get a finger thrown at times............... unbelievable how people behave and no respect for older people at all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol, so that is the story of the cucumber! lol... I didn't know I was growing lethal weapons in the garden, I feel the need to post a warning now. Thanks for the giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The brothers need to bring back the guns - and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, she probably should have another person, mainly another "guy" talk to him. It is a huge pet peeve of mine that women are often dismissed by men and are taken advantage of. My mother wouldn't be having this problem if it wasn't just her but my dad or a brother living there also. People take advantage of those they view as weaker, plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  21. that is the story, so beware when you see someone holding a cucumber, he might be South African and clap you one around your ears with it. I still laugh when I think about my son, 25, hopping around all indignant..............can so see it. It will be a story told for years and years together with the story of him asking Russell for Lobola......................that child!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The guy just needs a good old fashioned beating.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This really disturbs me, Vic. I hate seeing older people ran over by thoughtless punks of any age. Is there any way she can put heavy lawn furniture in the path he takes? (I do that here to discourage my own bunch from making tracks through my lawn) lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vic. As ya said kids will be kids and to a point it's acceptable but at another point it isn't. A shotgun was mentioned earlier. When my friends & I were stealing watermellons one night the blast of a shotgun brought an end to my watermellon stealing. My yard/property has had all the corners properly peed on/territory marked and I protect my little slice of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol Geoff, I only nick beers from you and Misty and it's only to give to my slugs as I can't stand the stuff... Care to contribute? I think I spied another chewed leaf on a hosta...darn pests! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think we are going to go shopping at the local farm/ranch store this week and check out the price of welded wire fencing or panels. Something easy to put up for now in his direct paths. Having to fence in the whole yard with vinyl or split rail would be a fortune...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lol Guy that must have been one tall cup of coffee for all four corners (wink)....

    ReplyDelete
  28. "Just when was it that the world started being so indifferent, so callous, so self absorbed to think that anything goes???"
    All went to hell and back when the strap was removed outta the schools. Down the drain went Mr. Mrs. and Miss too.....Fear and respect sure made a kid think twice about bullying.
    Might be too costly to run a nice picket fence down the side of the alley access.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I remember as a kid, when starting first grade at a new school, my parents on their first meeting with the teachers gave them permission to whip my brothers and I if we didn't behave in school.... I think the main thing that is different now, is that teachers don't have that kind of support from parents. There are rotten teachers out there, but I think the vast majority really do want to do their job and challenge young minds to learn...

    ReplyDelete
  30. "I think the main thing that is different now, is that teachers don't have that kind of support from parents."
    I think Vic that is number one on the list....I see this all the time. example...maybe only 10 parents out of 300 don't show up for home and school meetings...YOU get this happening in every kind of situation...like town meetings...event meetings...Seems like it is always the same few who come.
    It takes a village/town to raise the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Exactly Misty, and when parents do show up, they immediately are on the defensive and won't even entertain the notion that their kids do/did anything wrong ....

    ReplyDelete