Sunday, August 27, 2006

Entry for August 26, 2006

 

 

 

Feeling Girly....



Our local county fair was this past week and one of the contests they have, is a beautiful baby contest. It's not like a real pagent. People just send in pictures of their babies and small kids and then they are voted on to see who is the prettiest baby. It costs a dollar to cast your vote and the winning tyke wins a savings bond.



It's hard to say one baby or kid is cuter than another. All babies are cute. Considering it costs to vote and anyone can stuff the ballot box (or in this case buy the ballot box), I didn't think it was a fair contest to begin with, so I didn't vote.



I was never in a beauty contest, I never aspired to be in one, it never interested me. My cousin was in one though, when she was around 3 or 4. It wasn't a big pagent or contest. The girls stood up on stage and wore their pretty dresses and the judge would ask them a question or two. Nothing on world peace, I think at that age they were more concerned about where their next animal cracker and apple juice was coming from.



There was one little girl on stage that cried and cried the whole time. It had a domino affect on all the other little contestants. My cousin didn't win, she came in third. I am sure it was in part, because of her own confused whimpering. I don't know why those mothers wanted their daughters on stage to be admired. They were all pretty, but did they need some kind of confirmation? I thought the whole thing strange, but then I have never been a girly girl.



As hard as my mother tried, she never could quite get me to be that girly girl.



When I was 5 or 6 years old, my mother enrolled me in dance class. It never did quite succeed in making me more graceful. I sucked at tumbling. Ballet was a nightmare. My most vivid memory I have of dance class is being dressed up like a big yellow and pink lollipop for our dance recital. We wore yellow body suits with pink ruffles. Yellow satin fabric covered big cardboard circles that we tied around our heads. My favorite thing from the whole experience was my bright banana-yellow tap shoes. They started out black  patent leather,  and my mom had to spray paint them to match my outfit. They were still sticky while I tapped on stage with all of the other lollipops,  to Shirley Temple singing the "Good Ship Lollipop".



Every year for Christmas, till I was the age of 16, my grandmother bought me a doll. I wasn't crazy over dolls but she bought me one anyways. I think she thought all girls love dolls, or needed dolls. So I had my share of Barbie dolls. But my Barbie dolls never dated Ken. They never rode in the big pink Barbie van. Nope, my Barbie dolls played with G.I. Joe, and cruised in his camoflaged jeep....and she was a commando.  Maybe it was just me, or maybe it came from having three brothers. It's hard to be girly surrounded by boys.



My favorite toy was not a doll,but a pink furry monkey. It had white plastic sneakers on it's feet, and it carried a plastic banana. My mom had to take some comfort in knowing that it was at least pink.



When I was in kindergarten they took a class picture. My mom spent a long time fixing my hair. It was teased high in the back and it curled on the bottom....and I had bangs. I hated my hair. It felt like I was wearing helmet once she sprayed it with hair spray. I thought for sure the reason I had to stand in the back row was because my hair was too tall. I am pouting in the picture,( and no do not even ask, it will not ever see the light of day... or this blog.)



I guess some girls aren't as girly as others. It is on a rare occassion that you will find me in a dress. I don't wear a lot of jewelry and I don't have 500 pairs of shoes. I am too practical.



The other day I was out shopping. My niece had a baby... a baby girl. I found myself inexplicably drawn to the  rack of pink and ruffly dresses.



Maybe inside of ourselves, part of us really does want to be girly.... Maybe we are suppose to like ribbons and bows.... Something in our genentic make-up that makes us like pretty things and sweet fancy dresses.



I did pick out an outfit that was pink and girly....and just to be safe, I got one with yellow duckies on it too.





Comments

(18 total)

awwww. You lil tom boy. Girls like you were more fun to be around when I was a kid. Girly girls whined too much.

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 12:30pm (CDT)

You sure you weren't pulling their pigtails? lol

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 01:23pm (CDT)

now Vickles....how could ya not be girliefied with that cute pink frilly dress and pink hairdo...even if ya do got a unibrow??? snicker

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 05:11pm (EDT)

My G.I. Joes usually commando raided my sister's Barbie fun house and hot-wired the corvette and took it for late night joyrides, with several of Barbie's friends of course. What's interesting is that Barbie didn't have any boyfriends like Ken or whoever, and my G.I. Joes found this interesting, too. It was like R&R nightly at my army camp. LMAO!

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 03:16pm (PDT)

I agree with Jim,.. tomboys were more fun and could pack quite a punch...but that pink furry monkey sure had a major psychological effect on ya..ha ha

Sunday August 27, 2006 - 11:13am (NZST)

Mahvin....it's time to put the GI Joes up and stop living vicariously thru them,lol,lol....

Gloggy!! I am not bananas...it only seems that way,lol,lol....

(don't make me take your picture frame away from you and let ya fall over ya cute little gnome,lol)

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 07:13pm (CDT)

  • JD
  • Offline

Is zat yoo in the pitcher up there?

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 09:03pm (CDT)

Now, I really want to see that kindergarten picture! I have three sons and one daughter and she was a tomboy, too. Very athletic. But, now she DOES have loads of shoes. I call her Imelda. LOL.

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 10:28pm (EDT)

Lol JD, nope that is Shirley Temple...thank goodness I didn't have a dress like that,lol

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 09:29pm (CDT)

Lol Judy, nooooooooo you don't...it's buried way deep, along with the lollipop kid pics,lol

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 09:30pm (CDT)

you taka away mya picture frama... I stompa on ya chocolata..and leava mya cute gnoma outa ziss... comprenda!!!!

Sunday August 27, 2006 - 02:54pm (NZST)

I was/am very much tom-boyish, but I confess, I have no idea how many pair of shoes I have. JD sez 8,942 pair, but we all know he lies!

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 10:10pm (CDT)

Lol gloggy....who knew gnomes could be so sensitive?....Don't worry if ya fall over, I will stick you upright so it just looks like you are lying down and waving,lol...

New job for ya tomorrow JD, count Cyn's shoes....(just don't wear any of them)

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 10:15pm (CDT)

ROFLMAO! You just lit the fuse on something there, Vic. No telling what he'll find snooping around in Cyn's closets. Hahahaha!

Saturday August 26, 2006 - 09:30pm (PDT)

I'm with you Vic...I hate frilly, girly girl stuff! I, personally, don't think I'm a "girly girl" but some of my friends would perhaps disagree with that one as I have a bathroom that could stock a Walgreens comfortably LMAO. Hey, I like "smelly stuff" what can I say!? I still don't like frilly stuff...pffft...

Sunday August 27, 2006 - 01:59am (EDT)

  • JD
  • Offline

Let's see here ... 3415, 3416, 3417 ..... I'z gittin' dizzy.

Where's mah kal-kee-later?

Sunday August 27, 2006 - 11:01am (CDT)

We have a pink monkey with a plastic banana to thank, Viccles? We're forever in its debt. (((((hugs)))))

Monday August 28, 2006 - 08:59am (EST)

I was a girly-girl-Tom-Boy.

Is there such a thing you ask???
Why sho nuff. I loved lacey socks...wore them while climbing trees and building forts. Shiny new sparkley shoes?...wear well while walking in sinking clay creek banks. Then ya have frilly princess dresses....makes ya look all feminine while you whomp your brothers friend for whistlin at cha. I'd put my live frog buddies in the same drawer that I kept my Barbies in. Took me a few times before I realized why they were all dried up the next day...sigh.

Monday August 28, 2006 - 08:09am (EDT)










 

No comments:

Post a Comment