Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Entry for August 15, 2006







Instructions not included.



Have you noticed lately, that nothing seems to come together? Everything now comes in a box in a lot of pieces that needs to be assembled.



My computer desk came in a box. A long slender box of pieces that were marked A,B,C and so on, with that plastic bag of assorted fasteners.



I laid all my desk pieces out on the floor, I didn't know if I had everything or not. I would have to check the instruction manual. That big thick book that came with instructions in Spanish and French, and when you flipped it over, English. Now some manuals come with pictures, and I was lucky to have instructions with pictures.



It took  some work though, even with the pictures. Trying to hold part A together with part B, while screwing on part C. It takes a little maneuvering, a little sweat, and choice words. It always looks so easy in the pictures. But with the help of the instructions, I got my desk together, and so far it hasn't fallen apart...knock wood, or imitation woodgrain, or wood product.



I like to cook sometimes. If I have a recipe, I think I can attempt to make it. So last Christmas I attempted to make old time fudge. I found a cookbook with a recipe and I followed it. I did everything it said.... and it didn't turn out. So I got another cookbook and another recipe and this time, there were pictures to go with  the recipe....step by step pictures. I followed those pictures...I followed those instructions, and my fudge never did set up. You needed a spoon to eat it. Some instructions aren't foolproof.



My little nephew loves Legos, so I got him some for his birthday. He likes the kind where they morph or transform from some thing into something else. He opened up his box of parts and the room full of adults sat around and tried to help him put it together. Part of the lego kit we couldn't figure out how to assemble, so we passed around the instructions. Before we could figure it out my nephew had snapped it together. I guess we weren't as much as help as we thought we were.



I had to get a new push mower this summer and of course it came in a big box. I only had to assemble the two piece handle, put on the throttle cable, and four wheels. That didn't sound too hard.



An instruction book was included that also included the instructions for two other models of mowers made by that company. So it was up to me to dechipher which model I had, and which parts I had. After a lot of time and frustration I finally came to the conclusion the holes had been drilled on the opposite side of the picture shown. It didn't help that I had parts left over. Sometimes instructions aren't always the clearest.



I am reading Vero's blog on how to insert pictures into your blog. Once she mentioned anything technical or anything with "html" in the sentence my eyes glaze over. It's not her....it's me. Some things are harder to comprehend, at least for me. I have to reread things twice, sometimes three times before I catch on. Sometimes I need the instructions, the pictures, and a tutor.



I like to watch those remodeling shows on tv. I often think if I had all of those tools I could do that too, that it doesn't look that hard. I don't know who I am trying to fool. I know I would need instructions on just learning how to use those tools as well as the other instructions and more instructions for those instructions if it were anything on too big of a scale.



Life's hard. It would be so easy if we could see the big picture. To know how things are suppose to fit together in order to get the finished product. We do have some instructions...be nice to others...follow your conscious...do the right thing....etc.



The more I think about it, I wonder if we are suppose to start out with those basic instructions and when we get to that part where it gets confusing and the picture isn't very clear, that maybe we are just suppose to wing it. I wonder if when the parts don't all appear to be there if we are just suppose to make do with what we have. I think maybe I don't really need all those fancy tools that I think I do. I think the only tool I really needs is.....a spoon.



It makes it a lot easier in life for those times when we need to eat crow......or fudge



 

Comments

(14 total)

LOL ...Hang in there, Vic. I promise after you read lesson 3 you will be a pro at putting pictures in your blog. (Now read parts 1 and 2 very carefully.

Tuesday August 15, 2006 - 08:15pm (EDT)

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...I come to this blog just so I can drool over all this chocolate.

Tuesday August 15, 2006 - 08:17pm (EDT)

Lol vero....I promise I will read lessons 1 and 2 over again... hmmm that was the one on the horse or dolphin right? wink..lol

Tuesday August 15, 2006 - 07:25pm (CDT)

I say "wing it" now, lets have some fudge :D

Tuesday August 15, 2006 - 08:24pm (CDT)

I still haven't put any pics in flicker. lol. I'm like you Vic. Some things I must not be genetically wired for. Instructions.....sheesh,and don't even talk math to me.

Tuesday August 15, 2006 - 10:26pm (CDT)

I'm so technically challenged...even the "dummy" books are a pain...but I love fudge so pass it around...:D

Wednesday August 16, 2006 - 06:58am (EDT)

Still puzzlin out just WHAT Jim IZZZZ wired for. (chuckle)

Wednesday August 16, 2006 - 11:46am (EDT)

Watchin and laffin at Vic typin in vain , over and over and over... "Hi ho, Silver, Awayyyyy!!!" into her address bar.
Psssstttt...Vic, Not THAT horse!!

Wednesday August 16, 2006 - 11:48am (EDT)

Lol Vero I have been lurking at your blog for the final lesson on inserting pics... but I started to get a headache when ya mentioned that "html" stuff again.... I might have to go lay down...and eat chocolate...lol

Wednesday August 16, 2006 - 11:29am (CDT)

I'm still trying to figure out what picture you are looking at?
Wing it????? Vic you've been wingin it ever since I met you.
Give up with instructions...dig deep into ya pocket...pay the store to assemble whatever it is you insist on buying unassembled.
:-)))
Dixie

Wednesday August 16, 2006 - 04:40pm (CDT)

I told possum just the other day that i thought you wrote with voice, vic - but the only voice i can hear when i read this one is andy rooney!

Thursday August 17, 2006 - 08:48pm (EDT)

Lol umbumble...my voice isn't that deep!...egads! and if I start looking like him....somebody lend me a paperbag,lol...

Thursday August 17, 2006 - 08:26pm (CDT)

Strewth viccles! You mean the specs, the toof-braces and the pink bouffant aren't enough? No paper-bag in the WORLD can compete with those. You are so special, just the way you are! (((hugs)))

Saturday August 19, 2006 - 09:57am (EST)

Aw shucks poss....digs toe in the dirt....

Friday August 18, 2006 - 07:33pm (CDT)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment