Monday, August 7, 2006

Entry for August 07, 2006

"Oh I believe there are angels among us

Sent down to us from somewhere up above

They come to you and me in our darkest hours

To show us how to live, to teach us how to give

To guide us with the light of love"



.........From Angels Among Us by Alabama

(Don Goodman-Becky Hobbs)



No this isn't going to be a blog about religion,

everyone has their own beliefs and I respect that.



No, this blog is about a real angel,....or the possibility of one.



One that I saw, that I talked to....that I walked with..... and no they were not dressed in a white robe, with a bright white glow.There were no wings....and there was no harp music playing.



It was a very warm summer's day several years ago in Nebraska. I was on my way to visit  a guy about some life insurance. A friend of mine had just started a new job selling life insurance, and well.... see a previous blog post about me being unable to say no.



I drove to my appointment and I parked my car across the street from the business. It was in a section of town that I rarely frequented. It was one of several small business tucked into a back side street. I got out of my car and walked across the street and started walking up the sloped parking lot to the business,when I heard a  very small voice.



I turned, and there was an elderly woman, who had to be at least in her 80's if not older. For being such a warm day, she was dressed in a long dress that went to her ankles, it was sleeveless, and in the most shocking shade of tangerine orange. Her grey hair was piled high on her head, and she had on big,cheap,plastic earrings that dangled from her earlobes. She was caring a parasol to block the hot sun,..which is not so out of the ordinary.....if you lived in the South....But in Nebraska, no one carries a parasol, and certainly not one with a big ruffled edge.



She asked me if she could take my arm, and if I would help her across the parking lot to the hair salon so she could get her hair fixed. The hair salon was right next to where I was going. I don't know why, but at that moment, a quote I knew since I was a child popped into my head. "Beware of entertaining angels who walk among you".She certainly didn't look like an angel, but for some reason that is the first thing that popped into my head that warm day.



I helped the old woman across the parking lot, and for our very short walk together, she repeatedly thanked me for my help. I told her it was no problem, and I then went on to my appointment.



When I left the insurance agent, and got into my car, I sat and thought of the elderly woman in orange. Such a colorful character....How did I miss her while driving up to my parking spot? How did I not hear her, till her small voice asked for help?



I thought of her thanksfulness for such a small deed.... It was not out of my way...., it didn't cost me anything. Yet to her, it was a kindness.... A kindness I probably would not have recognized on my own.



I got to thinking, in my life, were there other angels I had missed? Were there others in need of my help, no matter how small.....did I do what I could to help? Or was my head down in my own thoughts, oblivious to there needs?



I think we all know of someone. Someone who's life and deeds would qualify them in our minds as an angel here on earth. A small child  living with an illness,..... A wise and caring teacher..... Someone who has lived their life with such grace and dignity thru some of life's worst trials.....So many people we come across daily.



What if some of them were truly angels? Quietly going about their business, coming into our lives to challenge us to see past ourselves? Helping us to see, even the smallest of gestures, can make someone's walk a little easier,...Help someone realize they aren't so invisible in this world of ours.



No,...it wasn't a typical angel I saw that day.... Most would say it was just an old woman.



But I like to think that it was an angel....that there are angels walking amongst us...



....dressed in bright tangerine orange, wearing big plastic baubles....and carrying a parasol.







Comments

(9 total)

I'll tell you right here and now Ms Viccles, that you are a ray of sunshine on many a dark day. I don't think I'm alone when I say that life can be a weight, something to endure rather than savour, at times. I log on here most days and on the rare occasions that I'm in the doldrums, if ANYONE can lift me high through the magic of a smile, it's you! Please don't ever underestimate your wit, your caring and your wonderful humour, dear lady. I'm not at all religious, but if 'angels' means folk who know only how to improve cloudy days, you are one and I thank you with all my heart. (hugs)

Tuesday August 8, 2006 - 12:07am (EST)

Errr one other thing...my imagination is running WILD here...you with your pink bouffant, fluffified dress, and pink uggh (named that for good reason lol) boots, arm in arm with the lady in the tangerine dress and big plastic earrings and carrying the fluffy-edged umbrella would certainly have been a wondrous sight! :D

Tuesday August 8, 2006 - 12:13am (EST)

lol, someone call the fashion police...I am sure between us we must have had at least a dozen violations,lol

Monday August 7, 2006 - 09:22am (CDT)

I met an angel once...well actually I didn't meet him...he helped me...you've given me a blog vic....I can't write all my thoughts you've made me remember in this box...yes I believe in angels...even tangerine orange dressed...plastic baubled earring angels...now I gotta go write...I apologize for taking your angel theme...but you opened a floodgate of thoughts...hugssss

Monday August 7, 2006 - 10:58am (EDT)

Take it and run with it Angie....All angels are for remembering

Monday August 7, 2006 - 10:40am (CDT)

You are a dear angel with your pink boufant hair, frilly little dress and matching pink boots. Yup Vickles, angels do come in many sizes,shapes and colors:):) Thank you for spreading your wings and dispensing your mirth most everyday.

Monday August 7, 2006 - 04:48pm (EDT)

That was a cool story. Yeah Vic, your an angel too. Look at that lil halo hugging your pink hairdo. Awww, c'mere you lil angel. lol

Monday August 7, 2006 - 09:24pm (CDT)

Lol Jim....it's just shiney tinfoil.... (but it sure does make a good conductor when it's lightning out,....lol)

Monday August 7, 2006 - 10:52pm (CDT)

Tinfoil schmimfoil..it's still a halo dangit.

Tuesday August 8, 2006 - 07:32pm (CDT)













 

No comments:

Post a Comment