Sunday, August 13, 2006

Entry for August 13, 2006

Yesterday I read a blog that didn't set well with me.....It rankled me.



As I sat there and read it, my finger was itchy and ready to hit the reply and post a comment... but I didn't. It was 12:30 at night and I knew I was tired and that I would be posting from an emotion, from the top of my head, and I might have offended the blogger.



I try to be open minded. I try to see all sides. And when politics are involved there is always a  difference of  opinions.



So I went to bed......and it still rankled me.



I hate politics. Everyone takes them so personally, that and religion. So when you combine the two of them, it is especially volatile, worthy of some extra thought, some extra care,...a tiptoe of a fine line between disagreeing and offending.



I reread that blog today, trying to keep an open mind. I could sense the writer's frustration, his scorn, his  belief of plots and conspiracies of all that is going on in the world today. I could see where he was coming from, or tried to see where he was coming from. But in one area, one very important area,... I think he had a blindspot.



We all do....we all have a blindspot.



He talked of Muslims and how thru their religious beliefs they were incapable of killing and of violence.

Muslim the word itself means "Peace".  They believe to kill or take your own life is a sin. It is in Christianity too...."thou shalt not kill".... You can't get any plainer than that.



But there are those who try to get around those teachings, and claim it as an act of heroic martyrdom.

To take one's own life in a suicide bombing and killing others in the act is a sin. Yet to claim it for reasons of jihad (holy war) they see it as a commendable way of death, and one which they will be rewarded for in the after life.



It's still killing......no matter who's book or text you are looking at, or how you twist it to your beliefs.



I think that is his blindspot, believing for religious reasons, that it is impossible for Muslims (or for that matter any religious sect) to kill. Killing for religious reasons, in the name of religion, because of religion, ...has been going on for hundreds of years.



That blogger went on to imply that all of these "plots", whether 9/11, Afghanistan, Isreal,  were just that...plots. Political conspiracies cooked up by Americans, President Bush, Tony Blair and others. Now I don't doubt that there are things going on in our government that we don't know about. Just as there are in every other country's government things their people don't know about.  I think if we were to know everything that is going on in this world today we would be afraid to step out our front doors.... and sadly it is already like that in some parts of the world today.



Our President Bush isn't very popular...It sucks to be him...Many people question him on his policies, his choices, his actions.



Me? What do I think of him?..... I think he is just a man..... A man who on 9/11 felt like he was sucker punched. A man who felt like he was knocked down, and he came up swinging at anything and everything in his view. The only problem is...he is still swinging. It's hard when you are blindsided, you are so mistrustful.



It's like that though...mistrust....when you don't understand or know the other. And it's going to be that way till you try to understand, and more importantly, you have to give them a reason to trust you.



I saw Elvis....he really isn't dead... He was at the Leisure Lanes bowling last Tuesday night.....and Jimmy Hoffa was keeping score.



Plots......conspiracies...they are everywhere. They say here in the US that the newspapers are controlled by the Democratic party. So naturally anything they can print that will make the Republican Party and the President look bad will only further their party's agenda in the upcoming elections. I don't know if it's true, but there is an awful lot of negativity today. They never seem to report the good things... I know there have to be good things happening today.....somewhere.



Congress bugs me....even more than the presidency. A presidency is only as good as the people the President surrounds himself with....and he has made some bad choices. He will continue to pay for those bad choices for the rest of his term.



But Congress....it really bugs me. Two political parties...both so loyal to their party that they will do whatever it takes to promote their party.....even if it means destroying a part of the bigger picture. They forget they were elected BY the people FOR the people.....and shame on them for that.



The blogger questioned if all of these blamings on Muslims was a plot...He wanted proof... proof of everything. I don't think he will find it. Not because there is or isn't proof, but because of the blindspot.  I think for some people, okay for a whole lot of people, they don't want to believe some things....it just makes it easier not to believe....or to just believe what they want to believe.



I hate politics......I hate talking religion.



But I love my country.



I think it has an inherit goodness in it's people.



I think it is the best place in the world to live.....



and that's my blindspot.







Comments

(5 total)

Mine too Vic and to borrow a line from a song by George Jones " When you runnin' down our country, hoss you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.

Sunday August 13, 2006 - 04:07pm (EDT)

Dearest viccles, you fleuro pink precious person...I do so love you, your way of thinking, and your bravery in standing up to be counted, by ALL peoples. Thankyou.

Monday August 14, 2006 - 08:08am (EST)

I think the key to most of the problems with this world is time. Time brings change. Change is what most people are afraid of. The problem is, change takes place at a very fast rate these days. More has changed in the last 150 years than the 5000 years before it. I remember in the 6th grade a teacher told the class, as we were discussing the world at the time, that the people of Russia and China were just like us. Our goverments were the only thing different. She said in time those people will change their country. I never would have thought that Russia and China would be like they are today. Even though China is still a communist country they realized they had to make changes in order to make their people content. In todays world you pretty much better be able to accept change. The computer and world wide communication has kicked it up a notch. What all the governments of the world have tried to hide from their inhabitants are becoming harder to hide. I think most people that come to America aren't just wanting to live here. They want the way of life. It's not just the American way of life. It's the modern way of life.

Monday August 14, 2006 - 01:47am (CDT)

I agree and applaud you for your stand...and how do you do it and still manage to look sooo cute...all pink and frilly?....hugssss

Monday August 14, 2006 - 06:54am (EDT)

Hey Vic,
I am proud of you for standing up for what you believe! Not all people can do that. It was an interesting blog you wrote.I agree with you also.Have a woonderful day!

<3Hugsss<3

Monday August 14, 2006 - 09:08am (PDT)








 

No comments:

Post a Comment