Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mindful....

There is something that has been weighing on my mind for quite some time. It started over two years ago when my grandmother was becoming unable to stay alone by herself.

Several family members took turns taking her in their homes or staying with her for a few weeks at a time, to help her with her forgetfulness. She couldn't remember things she had just completed. She couldn't remember if she had bought something and rushed  back to town to buy multiples of what she already had. She would forget if she had taken her medicine and would take more doses than recommended.

She was failing, and eventually she had to be placed in a nursing home so she would have round the clock supervision. When she was here, I was a bit of a basket case. As much as I love, admire, and respect my grandmother, she drove me nuts.

She would ask the same thing over and over. She would ask repeatedly why she was here and to take her home. She would become anxious and frustrated and retreat to her room, only coming out for meals and to use the bathroom.

But most of the time she was up at night. Searching for an over the counter medicine she had become addicted to. It was something she didn't think she could live with out. I would hide it, only to have her searching the cupboards and drawers until she found it. I spent my nights lying in bed listening and when I heard her get up, I was up too, chasing her down and prying the bottle from her hands. It was a nightmare.

It's not something that is going to get better either. She continues to get more and more forgetful. And we all fear the day that she will forget who we are. It may not come to that, but it is a distinct possibility. It's depressing. It's more depressing when I realize that her daughter, my mom, is starting to show some of those characteristics.

She forgets things. They may not seem like big things, but they are starting to be numerous things. It has me worried. It has me worried it's hereditary and she will be just like her mom. The alternative is even worse. Her dad had Alzheimer's. A tall lanky farmer, who could do anything, eventually becoming a shuffling shell of a man who seldom spoke. Once in awhile a smile would come across his face and he would mention something in his low deep voice that took some deciphering to understand what he had said. He passed away at 76, unrecognizable of the man he used to be.

This growing old stuff sucks. I have tried to impress upon my brothers that I can see big changes in mom. I can see her growing forgetfulness. I hear her tell stories that she gets mixed up and  confused about the details. I see her nervousness and growing frustration with small, insignificant things.

She's fine, they always reply. I can't seem to impress upon them that down the road, and quite possibly sooner than any of us expected, there are going to be some big changes. Decisions will have to be made. Acceptance of things beyond our control.

They think I am making much to do about nothing. It seems to be a recurring theme in my family. When there is something that is hard to accept, or a problem that they don't want to face, they pretend it's not there. They get that from mom. She does that quite often. She did that when grandma stayed with one of us. She would make excuses to run errands or wander off to do something that required her "immediate attention". I felt like I got left holding the bag quite a bit in grandma's care.

I think she just couldn't deal with it. It was easier to just ignore the problem. Hoping that somehow if we don't address it, it will resolve it's self on it's own. It seldom does and a person just ends up with additional problems.

There are going to be big changes coming. Maybe not so soon, or maybe sooner than I think. It has me anxious and worried of just what will happen to her or to me.  What have I inherited from my mom and her parents? Will I inherit more from my father's side of the family? Have I inherited dad's problems as well as mom's problems? As I age, will I have good physical health and lose my mind? Or will I have poor health and be sharp as a tac? Which, if given a choice, would I prefer?  Which is the lesser of two evils?

It makes me mindful of my mind, and me telling myself that it will all work out somehow. I guess some things really are genetic.

 

30 comments:

  1. They do say this is hereditary Vic...but you can do things to help prevent/slow this down by eating very healthy, exercise, get your blood checked regularly...Clogging of the arteries has a bit to do with memory loss.
    I know it is hard to do but try to act like whatever your mom says it is the first time you have heard it. This way you won't get her confused/frustrated. In the beginning it is hard on them trying to understand why they have trouble remembering.
    I understand your frustration you have with your family members ignoring the facts. It could be scaring them or it could be concerning them as to how much they will be asked to help...
    There is help tho. The Alzheimer Society can help you by providing information, resources, education, support and counselling.
    So don't be to proud a person to ask for help from these folks.
    Research them.
    Thinking of you Vic. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Vic, unfortunately denial IS more than just a river in Egypt and many people live there.

    It's SO hard to watch those we love slowly disappear like that, the person who was my grandmother was gone years before she died, it was heartbreaking.

    For you especially, since you aren't showing any symptoms but for your Mother as well I would certainly look into various ways to increase your intake of antioxidants such as omega 3s and vitamin E among others which there is mounting evidence that they may slow down and even reverse the onset of dementia. Glenda's Mother had severe Alzheimer's so it is of special interest to us.

    Here's a link to a pretty good overview of some of the supplements which seem to be most effective, I think resveratrol is worth looking at as well.

    http://www.therubins.com/aging/condefer.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was heartbreaking to read, because my MIL has advanced Alzheimer's . . . and for years we were at first amused at the stories she told (one of my husband's brothers -- ALWAYS the same one -- had sneaked down 1200 miles to steal her check book register or planted bugs all over her house or something equally bizarre . . . That was baffling, then a little amusing (as in WTH?!??) and then sobering and scary . . . We lived the closest (two hours away) and my husband drove down every weekend for a year and a half to take her for groceries and spend time with her to make sure she was okay . . . When that wasn't enough, we found a companion that would go over every day for six hours, to make sure she ate, took her meds and had someone to drive her anywhere she might need to go . . . then that companion had to be overnight . . . When that was no longer enough, we moved her up here with us. Even all that contact had NOT prepared us for how far along she was in the disease.

    She couldn't be left alone at all . . . she, too, wandered the house at night and hid knives and -- inexplicably -- kleenix boxes everywhere in her room . . . She KEPT sneaking out to go to her gramma's house (which she insisted was JUST down the road . . . in reality, clear across the country . . . She called people who had been dead for twenty years at 2 am, and left post it notes on our front door "PLEASE HELP ME . . . I am being held prisoner" . . . It was AWFUL to watch her turn from a bright, charming, very social woman into a vacant eyed, slack jawed vaguely familiar looking stranger . . .

    She has probably had at least moderate Alzheimers (and now she is definitely advanced) for at least seventeen years . . . She is 89 and physically still strong and fairly healthy . . .

    I don't know which I would choose . . . strong mind, frail body or frail mind, strong body . . . but I don't think that we really GET to choose . . .

    Either way, getting old is NOT for sissies, that is for sure . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vic, Wish I could share some of the load you carry on your shoulders. When I was 11 I had to help take care of daddy. He has such a strong presence before the stroke it was hard to accept that he needed care from the family.
    I have a bad history of heart problems and I am racing tto get the house fixed up and everything else fixed up before I become unable. (that may be a long time before I become unable to work and need care) I have a 40 year old son living at home because he is diisabled with a rare disease with no cure. I must leave him a place to live and make sure he has all he needs when he can no longer depend on me. I'll be 70 in Dec. and am good and strong and plan to continue that way for many more years but we don't get any gurantees.
    The above comments have good caring advicce for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, getting old sucks Vic. Especially watching those before us go through what someday we will have to go through ourselves. We can dwell on it, dwell on illnesses, what may be in our genes, death, the burden that we may someday be on others...... Or we can just keep living, one day to the next.

    If you ever start losing your mind, you do have something that those before you didn't. Internet instinct. You are programmed to log on. The virtual world will always be here to remind you of what you may forget. Maybe not personal things but at least it's something. Just don't forget your passwords. That could be Hell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers for you, Vic. I sure do understand your heart in all of this. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the hardest thing for me to ignore. I don't want people to be confused when she gets confused and tells them something wrong, yet I can't very well correct her in front of others either. I realized a long time ago, I am going to have to let the small stuff slide. When I was talking about something the other day, my mom was adamant that I was completely wrong on the issue. She was abnormally angry about something so trivial I just had to clamp my mouth shut and let her think what she wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link Mr.Oz! I have it bookmarked for reading thru more thoroughly. The info on the gene linked to alzheimers was especially interesting and I will have to do some googling.
    Mom was a big reader of Prevention magazine early on and she has been taking vitamin E and gingko specifically for her brain power. At the moment I don't take any supplements but I should look into that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it about kleenex?! My grandmother also hoarded kleenex and paper towels. It was nothing for her to go thru a box every 2 days. Even though I emptied the trash can in her room on a regular basis, I was shocked to find when cleaning after she left, she had placed used kleenex in the dresser drawers. I don't know if she was saving them (she did hoard everything) or if she was confused on where to put it, even though the trash can was right by her bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can really understand where you are coming from there Guy. Mom and I have had numerous discussions on her doing the big things now on her house, because she will have to quit work by this fall. Not having the added income, and with her failing health, she won't have a lot of the resources that she has now. I want her to be able to live in her home and enjoy it as long as she can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah the internet really is a gift in some ways. When I have questions, google is just a few key strokes away, and there are a ton of support groups on here. None of us know how long we have or what the future brings, and that is a blessing. I don't think I would want to know...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Sharon! I know you are busy with your mom too and I hope that she is coping well...

    ReplyDelete
  13. *hugs* I will wheel you around when you are unable to walk, chew your food for you when you have no teeth, and shout loudly in your ear when you are unable to hear what is on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL . . . you know, I can't decide if that is really REALLY romantic, or just deeply disturbing . . . ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. aw sweetsioux, when you get to know me you will find that I drip romance like a dish rag.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks George, and I will do the same for you! We will probably end up lost somewhere, but "have wheelchair will travel" will be our motto!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahhh..that is just George...sweet, sweet, distrubed George.... ;))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just give as much love as you can , Sally said that I am like that now .You have all our prayers

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ANOTHER metaphor that leaves me scratching my head . . . ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. George has that affect on people....

    ReplyDelete
  21. No wonder you are bald from scratching your head, Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am picturing him pushing you around, chewing your food, then spitting it into your mouth, screaming in your ear and dripping all over the place . . .

    LOL . . . romance at its finest . . . ;o)

    It is a VERY funny mental image, and I am enjoying the chuckle it provokes . . . =o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. He is devoted....or is that demented?....(scratches head again and watches more hair fall out)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think we generate enough material to fill the $1 romance novel bin. Not sure what picture to put on the cover though... one of Vic holding my hand (after she first cut it off) or the one of her turning me on (when she flips the power switch to send electricity through my head).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Go with the last one George, go for the shock value ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Only if I am holding your hand ;)....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Robert, I have a feeling you have that selective hearing disease. Most guys develop it after several years of marriage ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I know you like getting a head of things.

    ReplyDelete