Saturday, June 16, 2012

Newest Foxy Neighbors...

It's been ages since I last wrote a blog and I did have plans to write a blog last week. But those plans went awry when I wasn't able to capture a decent picture of my newest neighbors that have moved in.

I was taken completely by surprise when I opened up the back door one day and spied across the road a fox and her three young kits. A mad dash for the camera and a few clicks was all I managed before they dashed down into a drainage culvert. Still learning about my new camera, I didn't have it set on the proper settings and my results were just a blurry pic of several reddish blobs. I was so disappointed, thinking my opportunity had come and gone.

Yesterday morning, there sitting in the middle of the road was one of the foxes. It was strange to see it out in the middle of the morning, but I am guessing the overcast skies and the rain shower the night before had the foxes out searching for food this morning. I was able to catch a few quick pics this time before it darted back into it's temporary den of the drainage ditch.

I am still hoping to get a pic of all of them together before they move on. At the moment they seem quite content to live across the road, but I know it won't be long before other neighbors see them and get to talking and run them out of the neighborhood. There is a part of me that thinks, how kewl to have such neat neighbors, and a part of me that worries for their safety. So many people are unyielding in their views of living with wildlife so close. I can understand their concerns if they have small outdoor pets, chickens, etc. I have no qualms though and am more than willingly to peacefully coexist with them next door.

It is hard to explain my recent affection for my neighbors. They have captured my attention and I find myself looking at the window often to check on their den. I am realistic enough to know that they are responsible for their own well being. No feeding allowed by me. To do so would foster a dependence on an easy meal. Perhaps in time my fascination will wane and my feelings could change for my new neighbors, but for now I am enamored with them and am being quite a nosey neighbor.

 

19 comments:

  1. So there you are, my pink and frosty treat, I've missed you! I've even had to take up strawberry-banana smoothies in order to sooth my cravings for frosty pinkness! ;-) When you mentioned "foxy neighbors" of course, I thought you must be referring to me but these are quite cute as well, they DO have rather large ears though! ;-o

    Good to see you, Vic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vic,

    I'm happy for you and your new neigbors. I have seen quite a few foxes in my life (both grey & red) and am always impressed with them. Once when I was a kid out stomping around in the woods I came across a mother and her kits. They were so cute. If I had foxes in the neighborhood they would catch feild mice and other pest and hell yes I would buy them a chicken every week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHH BOYYY!!!! I am so excited Vic you have a new camera. I am so looking forward to many, many more wonderful pics from you. These of the fox family are awesome.
    Oh thanks for sharing Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, it's like having one of those PBS wild life shows right outside your window. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good shots viccles -theyre precious

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not surprised you are enar- enarmo- in love with those little ones - he's a sweetie, he's a cutie. We also have red foxes here but I can't allow them inside the fenced off area. They only get the packages every spring (vaccination) other than that we're not allowed to feed them either.
    I must say you have mighty fine neighbours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if you move in next door, I swear to ogle you ALMOST as much as I do the foxes ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be good George....no petting allowed. (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen a few foxes before with a farmer's field next door on one side of me, but it's the first time I had seen one stick around for so long. I am thinking part of it is because it had been so very dry here and they were on the move looking for water. I have been setting out water for the squirrels and birds and always have a couple of buckets of water filled for watering planters the next day. (The neighborhood dogs appreciate them as well).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Misty, I have a lot of learning to do. For digital cameras being a simple "shoot and click", there sure does seem to be a lot of differences ot learn from a regular 35mm....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know! I could easily live in a forest, I love being surrounded by nature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can certainly understand that Trudi. One of my neighbors mentioned that stray cats are often the victim of foxes... I had to do some googling on them and was surprised that foxes also eat fruit, and grass. Hopefully they will clean up under the fruit trees this fall so I won't have to pick up any rotten fallen fruit, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are lovely... I would be scared tho as I have 3 cats......they have a huge area to roam in so a fox wouldn't be my favourite neighbour at all...very sweet to look at tho and I understand your joy at them being there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. they are cute.. I have not seen foxes where i am.. but there are coyotes..
    as a general rule both like chicken dinners so I would not be happy to see neighbors like these. so i will just look at your pics here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They should typically be skittish. If they come up to you, it is time to get away!

    ReplyDelete