Friday, June 22, 2012

On and Off, and the Confusion Between the Two...

Adjust vent cap, screwing knob one, to one and a half rotations before starting.

Press button on.

Push choke lever to "run" position.

Press primer bulb 5 times.

Push choke lever down to choke position.

Grab cord handle firmly and pull til feeling some resistance slowly, and then pull firmly while holding down throttle level on handle.

Repeat til engine appears to start and move choke level into "run" position. See manual for additional information if engine fails to start.

Sounds easy enough doesn't it? I have to admit that there are times I always seem to skip a step. It never fails that at least once or twice every season I have problems starting the mini cultivator or the string trimmer. I will yank, and yank on the pull cord. Mumble a few incoherent words and grunts. Wait a minute, and yank some more. I then push it aside with more mumbles of "it is probably flooded" and let it set for a few minutes before trying one more time. By the time I have exhausted my arm yanking power and am out of the mood to do the work, I notice I have skipped step 2. Yes, the easiest most obvious step of the whole instruction book....Turn it on.

I'd like to blame it on today's manufacturers. The constantly are trying to improve products, claiming more ease for the homeowner. It all sounds nice, but I have come to the conclusion that added steps add more confusion. Yes, pressing an "On" button is confusing for this home owner.

In my defense my old tiller never had an "on" button. My old string trimmer never had an "on" button. The both just had a throttle and a choke button and there was no need for much else. 

I LOVED my old tiller and string trimmer. I had them for years, they were like old friends. Dependable, broken in, no worries, so easy. They died on me though. They fell apart and left me having to search for replacements. 

I searched and searched for my old models. They had been phased out, newer updated models taking their place. Models with extra steps and "on" buttons.

I hate "on" buttons. They are confusing! When there is a button that has a "0" on one side and a "___" on the other, which is the "on" and which is the "off"? The "0" can stand for "ON" or "OFF". And that stupid line, does that mean it's running or does it mean it's cut off? I can never remember. I have to recheck the manual at least twice each season to remind myself just which is which. Whatever happened to just using the words, on and off? The choke lever is almost as bad with more lines used to determine the choke position. 

I blame it on China. I blame it on them not knowing English and that manufacturers are using lines to stand in for words. Less mistakes on their end, if there are just lines. I hate lines.

In fact I hate shopping for new tools and garden equipment when something breaks. I am always frustrated and cranky by the time I get home. I grumble and complain about the lack of quality steel tools. I hate the sticker shock of a spade having a 60 dollar and up price tag. I hate painted cheap metal tools that can't seem to hold a sharp edge for me. I hate tools that are spot welded instead of constructed of one piece. I hate new and improved which has come to mean cheap and cheaper, except for your wallet.

Today I had planned on doing some string trimming but the grass is wet. I may do it later this morning if the grass dries and it doesn't get too hot too quickly. First though I will have to hunt down the manual again. It's that "0" and "____" thing again. I think I have a mental block. I just can't ever seem to remember. I think while I am at it, I will look for a magic marker so I can write the words on the little button.

It will be easier for me....easier than an "0" and a "___"

 

32 comments:

  1. You just have to think in binary, that's where this comes from, the line represents a 1 and the 0 well, you know. . .

    In binary 1=ON and 0=OFF . . . EZPZ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Math?! Now math is involved??!!.... I am doomed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Well yeah, but it's only TWO numbers! ;-o

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda, where is Glenda...I have a feeling she would understand this better where I am coming from ;))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm strickly a visual learner type person. If I have to read directions then you might as well forget it...I'd be of no use to ya viccles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matter of fact I'd be your worst enemy. I broke 4 different electrical garden tools all within a matter of an hour. Top that. Pretty expensive day that was.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Metric tools? I hate cheap tools! Too.

    When i was a construction electrician we used to tease the noobs by asking them to fetch the electric hammer or the wire stretcher coz they cut the cable too short! it had them going in circles looking for these non existent tools! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A goat is the answer to string trimmer thing. And fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate complicated gadgety thingies too . . . My husband LOVES them . . . the gadgetier the better, but my eyes glaze over if something technical or mechanical requires more than just 'on' and 'off' . . .

    I TOTALLY get where you are coming from here . . . and I think guy's suggestion of a goat is great . . . of course, a weed whacker never poops . . . hmmmmm . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here I am!... I'm with you Viccles .. if you don't use them for a while you forget and I seem to forget most things.......now what was this about??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never even seen a lawn mower in my life;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. You ARE talking about a mower arn't you ?? (because one never knows..it could be a space ship or your new turbo powered broom)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love mowers when they start first or 2nd pull .. 3 pulls and i get annoyed, 4 pulls I get angry, 5 pulls i want to cry! 6 pulls I walk away and tell hubby to come look at this ***####**** thing..... cause I not doing it any more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Making mental note, not to let Misty borrow any tools.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that is just mean and wicked... I knew there was a reason I liked you! :))

    ReplyDelete
  16. If only those goats were more selective though about what they ate. Not sure I could train them to leave the flowers and shrubbery alone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can introduce you to mine...feel free to come visit and mow anytime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hehehe Glenda, some days I skip right to the ***####**** even when there is no one around to yell about it too,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL MY Glenda skips right you "YOU do it!" LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. You need a man around the house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Are ya volunteering George, because the pay sucks, I can't cook, and the cats refuses to let me watch anything but animal planet on tv ;))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vic.
    Congress could do something worthwhule and pass a law that things had to say "on" & off."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Zee you have my lawn mower and leave vic`s

    ReplyDelete
  24. I doubt I would ever get paid... Seeing how you were too cheap to use gorilla glue to reattach my arm after your failed science experiment. Now I have to keep moistening the rope you tied it to so it wouldn't dry up and break off.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey I didn't want PETA after me for using that gorilla glue....you know how testy they can be about such things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Also, you need a real rabbit to make a rabbit foot, I need my foot back.

    ReplyDelete
  27. But I already knicknamed you Thumper.....(pouts).

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm surprised you didN't try to make me lay colored eggs!

    ReplyDelete