Friday, June 29, 2012

My Five

The picture to the left is of my favorite tree. It's a tree I planted around 20 years ago. It will hopefully still be standing, straight and tall when I am long gone. It isn't my favorite tree because it is the prettiest (though it ranks near or at the top), it is because it is the tree I sit under the most.

I have a small round picnic table with four benches, and at the end of a day outside, or even at the beginning of the day, I like to sit on one of those benches and lean back against the tree and enjoy it's cooling canopy.

I can see all of my backyard from underneath the tree. I can see my garden, most of my flowers, and down the hill from my vantage point. It shades my hostas, bleeding hearts, ferns, and other shade loving plants. It has a special place in my heart.

It is one of my five.

I use to read a column on Omaha, about "My top 5". Five things were listed of what that columnist loved most. Inspired by a blog written by SemisweetSouix on a similiar premise, I thought today would be a good day for a blog of my five. It's Friday after all, and nobody should have to think too hard, or feel to pressured to write something really witty.

I know most list their family, friends, and pets so I am taking them off the list, they are a given. It can be hard to narrow down a list to just five things and for some people they draw an immediate blank. For those taking part in the 30 day blog challenge, I know it may seem like an uphill battle at the moment with the days ahead of us blogging. So feel free to list your favorite five things as well if you are needing an idea or subject for the day.

If you are a music lover, you could list your 5 favorite songs, singers, band. If you like to cook, your 5 favorite dishes. If you are a movie buff, list your favorite 5 movies. If you are an avid reader, 5 favorite books or authors.  If you are a fellow gardener, list your favorite 5 plants (variety names included please, I am anal like that,lol). You get the idea.

My favorite 5 things...

1. My tree of course, and all things garden related.

2. Chocolate, it pretty much ties with #1, but most of you who know me already knew that.

3. Linens and glassware. I have a thing for pretty linens and glassware. I am drawn to them like a magnet but most of the time I end up buying them for gifts instead of keeping them myself. Tablecloths are a particular weakness of mine.

4. House floor plans. I love to look at house floor plans. When I am bored on-line I can be found googling new house plans. However, I am never satisfied with the original plans. I ALWAYS have to reconfigure the floor plan so that it makes more sense to me. At times I wonder if I shouldn't have considered being an architect. It's all that icky math stuff that nixes that idea.

5. Anything art related. I like to draw, to paint, do pottery, and all of that other creative stuff that keeps my hands occupied. I don't do as much as I use to but that needs to change. I need to just find a space and designate it just for that purpose.

So there you have it, from the top of my head without a lot of thinking. My five.

What's yours

36 comments:

  1. I will share mine here coz I already have several draft topics written for today's -30-
    1. My iPod, I keep it with me 24/7..except when it is charging or I'm in the shower :)
    2. Wifey's cooking! - and I mean everything she makes.
    3. Having morning coffee sitting outside on the porch or on the bench in front of the garden.. Looking down the hill!
    4. The internets! All of them!
    5. My friends.. here in Multiply never never Land.

    Love your list too Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list John....Never had an iPod, but might have to look into it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does best 5 count as a blog..or is this a different game? I like your 5's. I wish I knew how to do pottery. Linens and glassware....show us some pictures sometime. I should show you an old glass that was my Grandma's she used to keep spoons in it. I Keep feathers in it. Any artwork you wanna share with us? Interesting about you and floor plans. And chocolate and a best tree...that is a given. Right? : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. wht ????yarslop not on the list???? well my #1 is ---- can't say that! #2 cookin and eatn-3-campin 4 poochie and woods hiking 4 canoeing and kayaking - 5-enjoying life

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife ,son ,daughter,caravanning and all my friends

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh vic, I LOVE your trees . . . I love love LOVE trees, and it is funny, as we are looking at houses a lot lately, I am immediately drawn to neighborhoods where there are tall, mature trees . . . LOL I even think 'oh DANG . . . that would be SUCH a great climbing tree' even though as a gramma, I don't really do much tree climbing these days . . . Still, that DOES 'make' a house, for me . . . One of these days I WILL have my ultra cool tree house . . .

    I also am addicted to floor plans. LOL . . . in cleaning out boxes and boxes stored in my closet in preparation for this move, I have rediscovered DOZENS -- maybe HUNREDS -- of magazines of floor plans . . . I swear, I am GIDDY . . . It is like having an unexpected Christmas! My husband is less thrilled, since this discovery has WAY slowed down my effectiveness at dejunking and weeding out or doing much of anything else at all . . . But DANG . . . How do you NOT look through floor plans and make little changes to each one?!?!???

    And I love drawing . . . painting . . . sculpting . . . etc, too. I am not very crafty, but anything else, I love . . .

    I am still not sure how anything I posted inspired this, though . . . but if I did, I am glad, because this was delightful to read (and did I mention that I love, love, LOVE your tree?!?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 1st attempt ever at pottery was making an ash tray in art class as a kid. Could you imagine them teaching that in school these days?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tree Vic. Thinking about the 5 thing,I'll have to see if I can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ??? have you climbed that tree yet viccles?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Sharon it counts as a blog. Just was trying think of something that anyone could use if they didn't have an idea for a blog today...plus reading the answers it is fun to see how we are all alike and different!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol Yar, I figured camping was in there somewhere ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a few days ago when you listed so many things ...hmmm was it on Tuesday? I am going to have to go back and look. I love trees and always try to find a spot to squeeze another one in each year....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol Mac, maybe they can call it a candy dish now....or horizontal pencil holder? lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to reading your list Mr. Oz!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gimme a boost Yar, either my legs have gotten shorter or the tree has gotten taller ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nah... you would put chocolate at the top! G. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vic,
    I'll try for five favorite things excluding family which as you said is a given. I like your tree.
    #1. Solitude. Favorite place for that would be sitting or walking in the Ozark woods preferably by a crick. The sounds of the woods and critter activity in the woods is very calming to me. Except if I should hear a banjo.
    #2. My stuff. I collect knives (been fascinated with them since I was a small boy) and have made many knives. Pretty good ones too. Some of my collection is more than I can reasonably afford but they make me happy. There are a couple hundred knives within 15' of where I am sitting. I also collect paperweights, salters, kaleidoscopes, and pretty glass. And lots of other stuff that my wife may call junk but I love my stuff.
    #3. Memories. Memories tend to go straight to the good things and pass right by the bad times. Memories of the good, fun, funny, warm fuzzy things are very pleasing and I like to keep them close.
    #4. A good book by a good author. That is a cheap trip to anyplace ya wish to go. As entertainment goes a book gives more bang for a buck than anything I know. I read slow so I get a little extra.
    #5. Science things that are a bit over my head or way over my head. I enjoy being exposed to practically anything new or old that is science.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I should've planted a tree every decade of my life... sigh!!!

    You were a very bright child.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One good thing George, you can start now... even if you don't own any land to plant, you can look into donating a tree to a local park, a neighborhood revitalization project, a school, etc.

    (being from Nebr, the home of Arbor Day, you get taught early the value of trees)...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like that idea. George Mandom will be famous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They don't buy my merchandise... they always get them free. I am out of GM mousepads and fridge magnets.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw man...what about coffee mugs? Do you have any of the GM coffee mugs left?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those were too expensive. I have GM decals though, and I think I still have GM pencils, you can use that to stir your coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am already slow....and need to get the lead out..

    ReplyDelete
  25. I could be mistaken, but I don't think that counts for fiber...

    ReplyDelete
  26. That’s a pretty nice bunch of 5 Vic.
    My hubby and my troop surely head the list. I could not imagine my life without them.
    My bedroom would rate the top of the list of materialistic things. I love my bedroom and now I can include my ensuite if Sylvie gives me permission. Yep she has still made it her territory.
    I also am drawn to glass, that’s why my bedroom has all tinted glass tops on all furniture. Needless to say my shower is all glass. My sun room’s glass shelves #4 my sun room.
    #5 Early morning coffee on my patio/ my land and the peaceful feeling it brings.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fess up, Sylvie thinks you did it all for her, and she will maintain that opinion til the day she dies,lol... Nice list of your 5's Trudi, I noticed they all have the same theme of sorts... a place to retreat too. What can be more wonderful than that? Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've not thought of it that way ha. But you're right now that I think of it. Have you thought of becoming a psychologist? Lies down on the couch and adjust pillow. You see it happened a long time ago .... erm I think you'll need a bigger pad to write on it's going to be along story :D lol
    ps. I think it also shows I must lead a fast paced work style where I desperately need a retreat to get away to .... crawls on hands and knees exclaiming my agony on my very expressive face :P

    ReplyDelete