Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Hair Story and Other Traumas...

It has turned into a rainy, stormy day today and my original idea of walking around posting pics of what I saw for the day had to be nixed. The storm clouds have parted for a bit and the sun is trying to come out but more storms and rain are in the forcast and if I am being truthful, I am feeling a bit on the lazy side today.

I have enjoyed reading all of the blogs so many of you have been posting and have found myself lurking on people's pages that I hadn't known about before until finding them on other people's blogs. So thank you to those that have joined in the 30 day blog challenge and a special thanks for all the smiles and giggles.

Reading some of those blogs this morning got me to thinking how things are viewed from different perspectives, and how those perspectives change as we get older. When we are younger those perspectives we form seem to be so much more influenced by what we experience than as we age.

Chatting with my mom the other day we somehow got on the subject of my childhood and how I and each of my brothers all turned out so vastly different. I am not sure why that is other than genetics of course, and how two people can experience the same thing and come away from it with a different view of what originally happened.

When my twin brother was back last year, I listened to him tell a tale of something that happened when we were youngsters and it floored me to hear him have details so different from what I remember. Chatting with my mom later I asked her if she remembered things happening that way. She said no and that what she remembered was closer to my observation.

It had me wondering if while we are kids our imaginations somehow weave their way into our life experiences and color the whole picture so we are left with something that isn't black, white, or grey. That our minds somehow trick us into thinking something happened but never did.

Or I could be totally wrong and just have a twin bro that is a bit of a wind bag and each time he tells a story it gets bigger and bigger. Yeah, I can type stuff like that since he isn't privy to my blog (grin). I can't really blame him if that is the case, it's in his genetics, something he most assuredly got from dad's side of the family.

Somehow my Mom and my conversation turned to hair, coloring, styles, etc. and I mentioned my kindergarten class pic with my awful looking hair. The first words out of her mouth were, "oh, but it was so cute"....."Cute!" I cried, "it was traumatic". My mom only giggled, something moms do when they know they are responsible for that fiasco.

I don't know what in the world possessed my mom to tease and back comb and tease some more, my hair into a big bouffant. It had bangs, and a bow, and she curled the ends out in some sort of a flip thingy. I just remember the pulling,tugging, combing, and the cloud of hair spray fumes before I was declared ready to go to school on picture day.

I walked with my neck held stiffly. My head felt funny. I was afraid that any sudden movements might cause my hair to collapse, my neck to snap, or some other sort of major catastrophe. Upon arriving at school, my real insecurities kicked in. I tried to quietly remain in a corner out of view, hoping and praying that nobody would notice. That nobody would notice the first thing I noticed when I got to school that morning.

My hair was styled the same way as the teachers. I had...."old people's hair". Now I am sure my teacher wasn't really that old, but in the eyes of 5 year old, all adults are old. I had old people's hair and I was afraid the rest of the class could see it too.

When it came time for the class picture we were arranged on the aluminum bleacher type steps and I was instructed by the teacher to stand in the back row. I was sure it was because of my big hair. My big tall hair, that they wouldn't be able to see past. It never dawned on me as a child we could have been arranged alphabetically. I was sure it was because of my big tall old people's hair.

I read Sharon's blog this morning about going to her daughter and grand daughter's dance programs. Most kids love to dance. Most kids are not self conscious and dance like nobody is looking. I was not one of those kids.

It was another of those ideas of my mom that all girls should take dance lessons. It may have been her pathetic attempt to have a girl who liked girly things. Surrounded by boys, I am sure she thought it was her only chance to have a girl who she could bond with over clothes, and make-up, shoes, and all things girl-like.

I sucked at dance class. I have blogged before of the horror of being dressed as a giant yellow lollipop, tap dancing across the stage to the songs of Shirley Temple. I was not coordinated, I was not outgoing and could dance like nobody was looking. I just wasn't cut out for tap dancing. I just don't think I was cut out for anything that required coordination.

One of the things we had to do in dance class was also some acrobatic moves. Each student was to somersault all the way across the floor matt to the other side of the room. Not so hard you would think. I don't know why it was so difficult for me, but it was a catastrophe.

I would somersault once, somersault twice and somehow end off on the side of the matt, on the wooden floor. I couldn't somersault a straight line. It continued all the way across the room. Somersault, somersault, fall off the matt. Get up and walk back over to it, or crawl my way back and somersault again. I don't know how long it took, but it seemed like forever. Even worse when the whole class knows your somersault shame. I haven't somersaulted again to this day.

Silly stupid stuff like that, stays with you when you are a kid. It continues with you as you grow older. Things like learning your teacher isn't really leaving the room to make important phone calls or do important teacher things, but to go to the office to smoke. Things like catching bugs for your required insect bug collection, only to drop it while getting off the bus while on your way to school. Things like being called to the front of the class to solve a problem the teacher had been discussing while you had been doodling on your desk trying to look busy. Things like throwing a baby shower for a pregnant classmate because nobody else was going to. Things like finding out one of your best friends was gay and died of aids before you could see them again at a class reunion. All kinds of things stick with you when are a kid. They make the biggest impressions on you.

I feel sorry for the kids of today. They are bombarded with so much, that those things don't have a chance to make an impression on them. Those numerous things that just seem to make them immune or oblivious to the important things of the world around them. They develop a shell of indifference, a barrier to the constant onslaught from the world.

I think we should make more of an effort to realize the impact things have when someone is so young. I think we should just stop making kids into adults before their time. I think we shouldn't expect kids to make more mature decisions than we make ourselves. I think bouffant hairstyles and somersaults should not be attempted by anyone without some sort of warning or caution. No matter how good of an idea it sounded to mom or dad at the time...

23 comments:

  1. LOL You always manage to make me smile, thank you for that! And wouldn't you know that *I* created my own 'bouffant' hair style, though not at five years old! LOL

    My sisters and I do that, remember the same incident in VERY different ways, I think it's just a matter of perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were a fan of the bouffant....You know now that we will ALL want to see your bouffant hair style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Photos certainly exist but *I* don't have them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol...yeah, I am claiming that too (coughs)..

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Seriously, I have very few photos from my youth, they were lost in storage when I moved to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...that was hilarious! You did bring back many memories for me too....I too took dance lessons with my older brother and cousins. It was free..well....I thought it was when I was a kid but I have since learned it was payment for the "stash" my uncle gave them every now and then. Either way, I can tap dance and do a little bit of ballet and you haven't LIVED until you tap danced to a disco version of Star Wars!!!

    This blog got me thinking.........and laughing......thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have given me an idea for my next blog (it is HARD to come up with something every single day!) . . . I see, though, from your avatar photo that while having a bouffant hair style at FIVE may have been traumatic that teasing it in to a Marge Simpson style as an adult has somehow become very natural . . . and as to the pink color? Mom can rest assured that she FINALLY got her girly girl . . . ;o)

    This was a thought provoking and DELIGHTFUL read . . . and I am glad for your 30 day challenge because THAT is what made me brave enough to finally sneak on over to your blog! =o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No wonder you went the way of "science" experiments. Dancing was too boring for you. Did you dissect your brother?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yw!! :))

    Star wars disco eh?....Now that would have been much cooler than "the good ship lollipop".. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you were brave enough to sneak over! I consider my blog an open blog for anyone to read and comment on. What is the point of blogging if nobody is allowed to read it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, but he does still blame me for his thumb getting cut with a fishing knife and him having to get stitches when we were little kids ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great blog, Vic. I agree about letting kids be kids while they can be. And I am sorry for your troubled experience dancing on stage. As much as we are a family who loves dancing....if it is not a welcome experience by a child, then that child should not be made to partake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I write to serve my art!


    LOLOL Yeah, RIGHT! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sharon I was just a shy awkward kid that had two left feet. I still am to some point! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhhhhh do you have some??? We could color together! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought they were called coloring books! ;-o

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well they would be coloring books if I had more than one crayon....Never sit next to a kid on the bus who eats crayons... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vic,
    Thanks for the story. It brought back memories. I have written about growing up years and wondered as I was writing if the stories were true or something that over the years I had come to believe. At my 50th. HS reunion I saw people that were part of my stories and on the ones that seemed to be the best candidates for embellishment my schoolmates brought the things up (they don't know I wrote about the stuff or anything else) and they remembered exactly as I had. So now I figgure my BS is BS and true is true. I hadn't seen these friends for 50 years or more. Glad I went. Billy (he says formerly Billy and now is Bill) was voted least likely to succeed. He could have probably have written a check for the rest of the classes gross worth.

    ReplyDelete
  19. He was fooled into thinking it was a mere accident. If he didn't move away, you would have practiced lobotomies!

    ReplyDelete