Friday, July 28, 2006

Entry for July 28, 2006

The sky is falling! The sky is falling.....



Well not really,...but bats are.



According to a news article on the web, bats are suffering from the long heatwave and are dropping...



Bats... it's the last thing in the world I would have thought about writing in my blog today.



I caught a bat once.... years ago with someone else. We found it in an old building. It had flown in thru an open window. It had  just sat there in the corner, hardly moving. We  scooped it up in a jar and then transferred it to  a bigger jar...You know, one of those big 1 gallon glass jars you buy big,fat, juicy dill pickles in.



I was quite proud of my new "pet". I tried to do my best to keep my new pet bat happy. I kept it in the dark during the day in a closet.... I threw bugs in the jar for it to eat...but it was not happy...it just hung there on a stick.... Two whole days of bat ownership was all it lasted. The novely had worn off.



The shortest relationship I have ever had with a pet...or otherwise.



I decided to part ways with my bat... I waited till it was dark....took my big pickle jar (with bat) outside and carefully opened the lid and dipped him out. He just sat there...on the ground, motionless. I began to wonder if the bat was injured and that is why he hadn't moved much. But then he moved. Small quick steps on the ground, like a tiny airplane on a runway taking off. He rose into the air and flew several feet before making a U turn back towards me. Now why he was flying back towards me I am not sure. I don't know if the street lights confused it, it was trying to get it's bearings, of it it was just "buzzing" me for having to spend the last 48 hours of confinement smelling dill pickles.



Now I know they say if you love something to set it free and it will come back to you. Only problem with that thinking is that I didn't want it flying back to me....I didn't want my rabid,vampire, blood-thirsty bat flying back AT me...



He flew on past me and that was the last I ever saw of the little bat.



Now it was a hot day today in Nebraska, and as I peered out the door this morning, I scanned the skies for anything flying,....anything falling...



How was I suppose to mow and trim the yard if there were going to be dropping bats? Would I have to do yardwork under the protection of an umbrella?....and what would the neighbors think........again? I could see me trying to  explain to them the perils of dropping bats,... and they should keep an eye to the sky and be prepared to take cover.



I bit the bullet....I sucked it up....and I did yardwork today... minus an umbrella.



There were no bats dropping from the skies today...... but a grasshopper did come close to winging me.







 

Comments

(3 total)

HAHAHAHAHA! I sat here giggling and my other half eyed me with suspicion (sp?)...that was hilarious vic...I can just see you being "winged" by a grasshopper....HAHAHAHA!!!

Friday July 28, 2006 - 09:58pm (EDT)

Ms viccles, my guess is that the bat you jarred then de-jarred was intoxicated by the briney pickled smells it endured...what bat WOULDN'T be? Possums, now that's another matter....apricot nectar...ooooooh yes! (ps...I hate to think what yard work would have done to those pink boots, bats or no bats!) (hugs)

Saturday July 29, 2006 - 05:04pm (EST)

This blog will just have to be let go with out a batty comment from me Vic....I am just giggling too hard!

Sunday July 30, 2006 - 01:27am (EDT)


No comments:

Post a Comment