Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sinking blog...

(trying to keep up with two blog pages, I will most likely just copy and paste the same blog on both blogs...so if you keep up with yahoo 360 it will be a repeat for you.... )

 By now most of you have been reading about the fate of Yahoo 360. Blogs have been posted, comments have been left for they Yahoo Team blog page, and some have even abandoned ship and jumped to a different blogging site.

A whole year, that is how long I have been blogging. I was finally getting into the groove of 360 and sailing along quite well til hitting a bit of a snag, well a really big kinda snag.....

I mashed into an iceberg called Yahoo.

I have been reading blogs about 360's demise, other blog sites, and a general feeling of dissatisfaction. Most comments I read viewed 360 as a spot for the more mature blogger. Other sites like Facebook, MySpace, and Mash just weren't cutting it for the aging baby boomer bloggers.

We want substance. We want blogs on us, of home, of family, of work, and of life. Simply put we want it simple. A simple blog page to write and post comments, navigate easily, add friends, photos, and still be able to add some personality to our blogs. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't learn much about someone with glittery smiley faces and quick hellos. It's the blog that you write that tells me about you. Even the simplest of entries can tell me if you like to cook, like to garden, like to parachute out of planes or if you just like a good joke. The joke appears to be on us though with the latest Yahoo blog team entry.

I find it quite interesting that an entry was made on their blog page on August 10th, and it wasn't till October 9th they posted a new blog on "360 question's".... "let's talk" in the entry title....and talk we did, so many comments, hundreds of comments. I wonder how long it took for them to read them as it was nary a week later they were posting a new entry about 360 and it's demise....Pardon me, they really didn't come out and say it but tiptoed around that direct question like a well seasoned politician. Were they on vacation between August and October? Wow, they accomplished so much in that weeks time between postings this month. Not only did they want to talk about our concerns but then had miraculously formed a whole new idea of a blogging experience that would be an improvement over 360. I don't think those team members of the UK blogging team have been doing any better. They snuck over to the American Yahoo blog team and copied their blog word for word. I would be outraged at such plagiarism. It makes you wonder, just who is on that team and how big of a team is it? Maybe there is only a handful of people behind the scenes of Yahoo. Perhaps the person who could do his best Tony Blair impersonation was given the job of being the UK Blog Team captain. Maybe it's the same for the other foreign blog teams as well. They guy who had curry for lunch could do the India blog team page, and the other guy who once ate vegemite could be the Aus/NZ blog team captain. Or maybe there is just one poor computer geek forced to make imaginary friends and blog team members as he tries to vainly blog along and appear to be more than one person. Any way you look at it, it's not leaving people with a very good sense of Yahoo and it's practices.

Many bloggers have looked for greener pastures. I went ahead and created a blog at Multiply.com. At the moment I am trying to learn the ins and outs and quite frankly the coming and going has only multiplied my headaches. I picked a simple page theme that I liked that has martini glasses on it. I might have to change it already, Bubs is worried I have become a lush over all of the blogging drama. I can assure you all I am not a big drinker if you happen to wander over to my blog page. Once I figure out how to do some customizing it will probably change. .

I am not abandoning the 360 ship though. I still log onto 360 first thing in the morning when I get on the computer. E-mail most days is a distance 2nd and with the new blog on Multiply.com it may become an even more distant third. I refuse to lose any of you. Whatever ship or blog page you will be on, I will be there, .... treading water behind you with my floaties.

5 comments:

  1. WOW Vic after all the headache you ended up putting a smile on my face...Thanks and right back at ya sweetie...Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a smart idea..lol See you can blog in two places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hands Vic an aspirin...now, how did you get a picture on your blog, Missy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not so sure that ship would sink if I hadn't just peed my pants! You nut!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi...I'm just getting started here. I'm ticked about the whole 360 drama. >:-/

    ReplyDelete