Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Entry for January 09, 2007 - Odds and Ends...



Wow, here it is the 9th of January and I am finally getting around to writing a blog entry. I had good intentions of starting the year off with a blog and seeing if I could write a little something each day. I know a few people who manage to write a blog for each day AND still manage to make it interesting and humorous. That is the part that worries me most. Trying to say or post something that won't have the rest of the blogworld glassy-eyed or suffering from narcolepsy- (making mental note to look up that word for correct spelling).

We all have that one drawer in our house that seems to collect everything. Mine usually contains rubberbands, a clothes pin or two, a pair of pliers, sometimes a screwdriver, and twist ties. Those little bits of paper covered metal used for closing up bags... or whatever. I think if I were to count them all up I would have enough to line one wall in my kitchen with them. Well maybe not, but my kitchen is small and I do have a mountain of them. Why I keep them I don't know. I guess it's a sense of,... I might need them later....

I do that a lot. Hold onto stuff I don't really need or want. I have been reading in some blogs about people who spend the winter cleaning and getting ready for spring. If it's cold out or snowing, I don't get that urge. It's only when the days warm up and I can throw open the windows that I get that urge to toss and do some deep cleaning.

I sat here for awhile this morning, wondering and thinking what to write for my blog entry. I haven't got much of a clue yet as I type here at the keyboard. Yesterday I was going to post a recipe for bread pudding...the idea, curtesy of Suzi and her blog on the evils of bread. I will post it at the end of this blog.... The bread momentum thing may have passed but I will tie up one loose end with it's posting.

Odds and ends....

They never seem to go away. I skimmed thru my e-mail and it took awhile. I have a few people I owe an e-mail back to, and two people I need to e-mail to check up on since I haven't heard from them in awhile. I have one old time chatter who out of the blue IM'd me and I need to send her a few bits of info....by the way...WitsEnd says hi to all of you that remember her from the old days of chat.

Do we ever get caught up?

I got to thinking that I really need to simplify things. I think life is easier and more orderly when things are simplified. I am thinking that maybe I should move into a smaller house and have less stuff. But then I wonder will I have less stuff, less junk, or will I just have bigger piles in a smaller space? It's hard to let go of stuff.... We need stuff, we want stuff, or at least we think we do. I was looking for a pic for this blog and I searched thru all my bookmarks for a site on free photos. I have so many bookmarks. They started out orderly. Search engines...garden sites...computer sites..graphic sites...and then, things got a bit messy. I have bookmarks outdated, websites no longer listed, stuff I needed info on at the time but I don't now. It's hard to go thru bookmarks. They were flagged at one time because they were of importance. Hmmmm, to purge them or not? I never know when I might need that website on Dr.Suess books, the url on Boyd Perry collectibles, or the site bookmarked on albino squirrels again.

So much junk and loose ends. I guess the new year 2007 should be a year for cleaning up loose ends for me. To categorize and prioritize what is of most importance. I didn't make any new year's resolutions, but that is not to say I won't change or at least try to change things a little. Everything can use a little improvement, myself and my blog as well.

So I leave you with one loose end tied up.... my recipe for bread pudding....just for you Suzi.. (wink)



Vic's Bread Pudding

3 slightly beaten eggs
3 cups of milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups of day old raisin bread that has been cut into cubes
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup raisins

Combine eggs,milk,vanilla,cinnamon, and salt. Stir in bread cubes. Stir in brown sugar and raisins. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 x 3 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown and center is cooked.

Caramel Sauce

1 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup evaporated milk (or cream)
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine brown sugar and cornstarch together until well blended in a sauce pan. Add milk, butter, and vanilla. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Serve spooned over warm bread pudding with a dollop of whipped cream.

* caramel sauce is also good served on raw apple cake or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment