Friday, December 29, 2006

Entry for December 29, 2006 - The Party's Over...


The party is over,... before it has even begun...

Christmas is finally over. The presents all unwrapped, the last of the Christmas cards no longer trickling in the mail. The tray of sweet confections looking sad and forlorn and almost empty, pilaged for coconut bonbons, peanut butter balls, and the cherry mash. Bright Christmas lights still twinkle in the night from far off houses down the block, but somehow not as festive looking as when they first appeared. My new little Christmas tree, how proud and tall it stood for it's few days. Soon after the holiday in the middle of one day,...it just fell over and went..."kerplunk", as if to say,.... it is done. The party is over....

Well, that is til New Year's.

I have never been one to get too excited about the New Year. Most years I don't even stay up til the stroke of midnight. It's just another day to me. I have been reading blogs on the history of celebrations and traditions and superstitions, and I don't think I have done even one of them. I have never had black eyed peas, eaten greens, or followed any of the suggestions for a prosperous new year. Perhaps I should, perhaps there really is something to it, but then again perhaps not.

This year though, I am prepared. I have bought my bottle, or dare I say "bottles" to ring in the New Year....

My bottle of aspirin.
My bottle of Tylenol.
My bottle of Ibuprofen.
My bottle of cough syrup
My bottle of Pepto Bismal.
My bottle of vitamin C tablets.

Served along with a dose of hearty appetizers of Sudafed, Nyquil, cough drops and a large box of kleenex.

I got an extra present at Christmas,.... someone gave me their cold and flu.



But the party must go on.....Prop me in a corner somewhere, and stick a mirror under my nose from time to time to see that I am still breathing.




"Cough......cough.......groan......kerplunk"




No comments:

Post a Comment