Friday, November 2, 2012

The Pontification of Me...



I had a bit of a giggle when typing the title for this blog. Having just started this new blog page and moving all my old blogs over here, few if any actually know that I have this new blog. Writing any sort of new blog entries has me feeling like I am actually just talking to myself. And for some even stranger reason, I sorta like it.

How weird is that? I think we all have varying degrees of weirdness about us, and what we may think of as strange or odd will seem perfectly normal to someone else.

The other day while out shopping, I was parked next to a guy in what looked to be a very new pick-up. The gentleman was elderly, most likely retired but what caught my eye was the way he walked. One of his arms appeared stiff, and then at the wrist the hand bent backwards at a sharp angle. It had me wondering if he had an injury, stroke, some sort of recent accident that caused the odd looking appearance of his arm and hand.

My curiosity was even further piqued when I saw him take the lid off a trash can and peer down into it's depths and reaching in to sift thru the garbage. Out his hand came with his prize of an aluminum can. He bent down again and had to insert his head and shoulders completely in the trash in order to reach the bottom. Out came two more cans. He took one aluminum can and placed it in his bent back hand, and carried the other cans with his other hand. As he walked, his stiff arm was stuck out in front of him. He walked back over and placed all of his cans in another trash receptacle in the back of his truck. He contined thru out the parking lot, walking to each trash can in front of each store til he had visited them all.

It had me more wondering just what was his story? Was he collecting cans to pay for his new vehicle? Was he collecting cans as a hobby? Had he always collected cans? Was he needing to find any resources possible because his financial situation had changed? Was he just frugal and not afraid to get a little dirty to collect a few cents?

It's hard to know what one's story is when all we see is just one side or facet to them. A bit like here on the internet. We only know a part of someone really. We never truly know their whole life story unless they decide to share it with us. Even then, a part of us may be hesitant to believe everything one is told on here. There are those who embellish, there are those who put up a facade, and those who just want to show one side of theirselves.

I can be guilty of that sometimes. I want to log in every day and just be the fun girl without any problems or worries. I want to be silly and amused and not think so hard some days. I want to be able to seperate myself from myself, sort of like this blog I write. It is just a part of me that comes out when I sit facing this keyboard.

It's my story, it's me, and it's okay if I am the only one who can hear my inner voice that types these words from time to time. Maybe it's a bit selfish of me, maybe it's just self preservation, or maybe it is just the pontification of me....

1 comment: