Sunday, November 25, 2012

One Month...



It's hard to believe it's only a month til Christmas. Thanksgiving was just a few days ago, and yet it doesn't quite seem like much of a holiday season yet. Thanksgiving was a quiet day here, with plans for the big turkey day postponed until today, and then again postponed til next year.

The turkey got a reprieve and continued on in it's cold storage until a near future date when it will make it's appearance with promises of leftover bits for days. I didn't mourn the turkey deficit as much as the flakey deletctable pies that never materialized. It's the one time of year that pies seem to be in abundance, and as I read blog after blog of people and their pies, I had the smallest twinges of pie envy.

I missed the pumpkin, the pecan, the chocolate and coconut cream. I missed the big dollops of Cool Whip or ice cream topping those calorie laden bits of flakey goodness. But I will get thru these next few days of pieless-ness and will concentrate on the upcoming Christmas season instead.

I didn't hit the stores on turkey day. I didn't hit them on the much touted Black Friday. I did however sneak out a bit this morning and just as quietly headed back home with just the smallest of purchases with promises to myself to finish the holiday shopping later this week, or next, or whenever.

I am not going to panic this year. I have a few things bought and if I run out of time or energy it will suffice. I am trying not to go crazy like I do some years and spoil people rotten. They are rotten enough and my continued efforts to spoil them even more seem futile and wasteful.

I need to prioritize just what is important and what needs my attention the most. I need to do some holiday baking for the neighbors that I do year after year. I tell myself every year after all of the mess and hassle it will be the last, but a part of me sticks to tradition, and a part of me hates the thought of disappointing anyone with just an impersonal gift card. It's the one part of the holiday that I still think should be at least more than just a desperate guess or spin of the wheel of gift possibilities. It's just hard to buy for some people and it's hard to put a price on the goodness and value of friendship and neighborly courtesy to those nearest to you.

So I bake, and stir, and assemble those sugar laden plates to say thanks. Whether they are truly appreciated, I don't really know. I think they are, but sometimes I wonder when I hear others say, "I don't bake or cook because I don't need it". Seriously, do any of us really NEED it? Nope, but I do think that a little bit of decadence given to others and to ourselves is a good thing.

That said, I am sort of glad to have missed out on turkey day. I can now hoarde all of those future caloric possibilities in the form of fudge, toffee, and that midwestern favorite - cherry mash. It's the thoughts of all of those confections that also makes me think it would be a good time to diet to prevent those thoughts of justification, "it's Christmas mentality" that allows me to sneak another piece of fudge, and another, and another until I am quite sick at the mere sight of anything sugary.

Christmas and holidays are such odd times. The are laden with expectations, stress, and guilt and yet we embrace them with such a fervor. I am hoping that this year if I lower my expectations, cut down on the stress, and try not to be so hard on myself, that the holiday season will be a better experience, at least for me.

So hear is to the upcoming holiday. Bring it on. I have girded myself with reality and common sense and unless I take some sort of direct blow of a super sale with 75% percent off, I think I will make it.
If not, I will stay huddled underneath the tree and refuse to come out until after the 1st of next year.

6 comments:

  1. I am not sure why you skipped turkey day.... but skipping some pie is almost a crime!! Your attitude about it however is just fine..... Now where do I sign up for your home made goodies? I personally rather have a small plate of homemade goodies than any thing else!

    You could have always picked up some turkey breast slices in the deli, or in the fresh meat dept. ~ to cook them.... and bob evans makes mean mashed... I had to think small, and light.... so those fresh breasts and a tub of mashed, and some other 'instant' fixins had to do for our Turkey day... and a store bought pie was devoured by the step kids when they came to visit. My neighbors sent over some homemade pie slices and that was hoarded and loaded with redo-whip, later in the night... lol....

    I didn't do any black friday shopping in person or on line... I don't need anything that bad, and like you, its time to cut back some.... My gift list is small however and maybe that makes my shrinking attitude like that... lol... what ever it is, for me it's about the lights, getting my tree up later this week with help from a friend, and plugging them in... that's the best part of Christmas for me... ;-) big hugs my friend.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I forgot to put that part in about why no turkey. Every year it is a balancing act with my brothers, their families and my mom with schedules. Holidays are never celebrated on the actual day around here, and that doesn't bother any of us. So per usual, some were working, some were out of town, and it was the non-traditional meatloaf for the day.... I still might have to break down and have pie though! ;)

      Delete
  2. I had no Thanksgiving dinner either .... *sniff* .......but I did have people for a huge big dinner on Saturday, got carried away rather, my theme was Italian, so easy to overcook, yum yum ..........so where is the chocolate, my friend?

    For some reason this blog sounds so sad, darling, are you okay ?
    you need to chat or rant or rave, you have my email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs you Crazy Dane :) No not sad, just tired and we have just begun the holiday season! Strength! lol

      Delete
  3. Whoohoo Vic'str!! connection confirmed.

    this new place is kinda like having a body transplant.. feels a little itchy and differnt dosen't it? I'll survive i'm sure as well as you.. look at you posting already.

    just wanted to say -hey- and come on over anytime.
    k..?

    jm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to reading your new blogs!...(got a back scratcher?lol)

      Delete