Saturday, July 28, 2007

Entry for July 28, 2007 - Tieing Up Loose Ends...

I'm not quite sure how it happened that I have gotten so behind lately. Maybe from being sick, or from having too many irons in the fire, or maybe it is just out of pure procrastination that I find myself having to play catch up. The yard needs mowed, the garden and flower beds need to be weeded, the house cleaned for company next week ...and that is just stuff that needs done in my real life. On here I have e-mail to read, e-mails to send, blogs to visit and maybe a blog or two to write. Out of all of that, I decided on writing a blog. I don't really even have a lot to say, but I thought at least I am taking some kind of action today and at the same time I will be tieing up a few loose ends.

Loose ends, they unravel so easily when you are not on top of things. All week I have been intending to post a reply to Mac's Blog on his Ironic chef week for chocolate recipes. Now it is pretty bad when a chocolate lover as myself hasn't posted even one recipe for last Sundays' chocolate blog. So for you Mac, here is finally a recipe, and for all of the other chocolate lovers out there, be sure to post your chocolate recipe at Mac's. I know tomorrow he will most likely be on to a new ingredient, but there is always room for more chocolate!

CHOCOLATE MINT DESSERT

1st Layer:

25 Oreo cookes that have been crushed

1/3 cup melted butter

Mix the butter and cookies and press in a 9x13 inch pan and set aside.

2nd Layer:

25 large marshmallows

3/4 cup evaporated milk

Heat marshmallows and milk over medium heat, stirring constantly until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat and cool. When cooled completely, add six drops of green food coloring and 6 drops of peppermint extract (if using peppermint flavoring, add 1-2 teaspoons). Blend in one small carton of coolwhip in the peppermint/marshmallow mixture. Pour on top of the cookie crust layer and chill for several hours or until set.

3rd Layer:

Combine in sauce pan:

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup flour

6 Tablespoons Hersheys cocoa

Mix the dry ingedients together so they are blended with no lumps. Add 2 cups milk (or half and half) and cook and stir over medium heat till bubbly. Cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir a moderate amount of mixture into 3 slightly beaten egg yolks (make sure the egg yolks are room temperature). Immediately return to the hot mixture and cook 2 more minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Place in a bowl and cover with waxed paper to prevent a skin from forming on top. When pudding mixture is thoroughly cooled carefully spoon on top of the marshmallow layer. Before serving top with coolwhip (or whipped cream) and sprinkle more crushed cookie crumbs on top or crushed peppermint candy.

*You can use a box of cooked chocolate jello pudding mix for the chocolate layer, but homemade is much better!

(One loose end tied up....I feel somewhat better.)

Last Sunday I acquired a new house guest. An orphaned kitten given to me by my grandmother. I haven't a clue how old it is, but it is too small to eat canned cat food and I have been setting the clock to regularly bottle feed the poor thing. I have been hestitant to get too attached to it. I haven't even named it. I have some wierd sense of doom, that once I get attached and named the kitty, it will probably croak on me. But I realized the other day, I was already inadvertantly calling it a name.... I was calling it...."Stinkpot". I know, I know....what a thing to call a poor defenseless kitten. After feeling a few little claws stuck in my arm, stinkpot was the first thing I muttered under my breath. I suppose I should bite the bullet and give the kitty a name. It reminds me a lot of Poss's new kitty Miso, so I thought ...hmmmmmm, maybe I should come up with a similiar Japanese sounding name. So I thought a poll is in order:

stinkpot1">

stinkpot2">.

No comments:

Post a Comment