Friday, December 22, 2006

Entry for December 22, 2006 - Three French Hens....



Well here it is....three days before Christmas. No my blog isn't really going to be about three French hens, but I had planned on doing a blog of Vic's 12 days of Christmas starting with my 12 excuses for not having anything done, and then ending with one Christmas tree in it's box. Time got away, I still don't have everything done, and the tree is still in the box out in the top of the garage.

But I have made progress....

Tuesday afternoon I was a woman on a mission. I hooked up with my mom and we were going shopping. We were both going to get done. I use to think two heads are better than one when it came to shopping. We would divide and conquer. I am not so sure we conquered much except for our checkbooks. I was in the mall, looking at scarves and matching hats. They were funky, and glittery, and wispy, and just the kind of thing that would be perfect for my two nieces. It's hard to shop for kids that are no longer kids, but still aren't quite teenagers either. I put the scarf back on the rack to get another one, the first one was missing it's tag. In less than the span of 2 seconds, the scarf was snatched up by an elderly woman in a grey coat.

I hurried over to another rack to look at sweatshirts, the woman soon followed me. She peered over my shoulder and then looked at the other side of the rack directly across from me. There I was in the mall being stalked by a little old lady. I was ready to call for security, and have them rush in with their tazer guns and haul her away. But I soon realized, she wasn't stalking me......she was desperate. She was another one of those panicked last minute shoppers who hadn't a clue. I wanted to yell across the rack at her, I can't help you... I am in my own shopping H E double hockey sticks. I ended up loosing her in the baby aisle but I did pick up a cute pink furry jacket with matching teddybear hat with ears.... No, the jacket isn't for me, but for my brother's newest grandbaby.

I went to the post office to mail two packages. I stood in line forever. Monday was suppose to be the busiest day for the Post Office, so I figure Tuesday shouldn't be as bad. When I finally made it up to the desk and handed over my two packages I was asked how I wanted them sent. I refrained from retorting thru the mail...duh... Then the postmaster rambled thru the different kinds of shipping. Five to seven business days it would be 10 bucks, or if I wanted I could get guaranteed delivery for the next day for 30+ dollars. I looked at the package that I had just insured for 50 dollars and mumbled I will take the first one. Good grief,... take it by the pony express at those rates, just so long as it gets there before the kid grows out of the clothes is all I ask.

I came home and wrapped and wrapped in a frenzy. In between breaks I would make more candy for plates to be delivered this week-end. I checked over my list, crossing off things I just wasn't going to get done. I made big slashes thru all the cookies. Everyone makes cookies, forget the cookies, I would concentrate on just the candy. I got to looking over the stuff I had made and realized hmmmm, I have a lot of chocolate stuff. Fudge, cherry mash, peanut clusters, they all had chocolate. Chocolate mint bonbons, coconut bonbons dipped in chocolate, was there anything I had made that didn't have chocolate? I spied the peanut brittle...ah ha!..no chocolate. I started to figure up all the pounds of sugar, and butter, and chocolate I had used, and I winced. I would be personally responsible for at least 50 people in the tri-state area putting on 2 pounds from the sweets. But I blew it off....it's Christmas, you can't have Christmas without chocolate. I am sure Sue and Mike of the blogging world will understand. I did have visions though, of them tieing me to their bowflex as some sort of torture device and making me row or ski, or whatever it is that a bowflex does while they cracked the whip and whispered fiendishly in my ear..."no more chocolate". I want to yell out that I have cut back, I am not making cookies that has to count for something!

Or I thought I wasn't going to make cookies.... Zim posted not one but two blogs on gingerbread. Doesn't she know that gingersnaps and molasses cookies are my favorite Christmas cookies? I got to weakening and told myself, okay just one batch of gingersnaps for me. In the next minute I was telling myself ...no...no more cookies. I still don't know which side of me will win that debate.

I finished all my shopping, and all the wrapping is done. I sat down and wrapped till I got every parcel encased in bright paper and ribbons while jamming out to Stevie Nicks, Heart, and Bon Jovi....no Christmas carols for me this year...I am caroled out. My packages are all piled up around....the lazyboy. I had a small moment of giggling fits while thinking of stringing lights on the recliner, but I got control of myself. Eventually I might get the tree up,..... I still have time.

As I sit here drinking my diet coke, I mentally pat myself on the back. Surrounded by all that candy and I haven't gotten into any of it. Well, I did have one peanut butter ball,... but peanut butter is good for you.
Still, I have resisted, I will pack it up and give it all away.....Okay I might have licked a spoon, or a bowl along the way.... There might be just one or two sticky fingers.

I really should get back to work. Still have pretzels to dip and toffee to make. Plates to make up, and a tree to find.

One more sip of my diet coke....and I am off....

.....to secretly lick the chocolate off my keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment