Saturday, April 18, 2009

Fruit and Nuts

 

Ever eat a pine cone?

It's been a while since I have heard that catch phrase from the Grape Nuts cereal commercial from the early 70's. But on this rainy morning I found myself googling Euell Gibbons for a pic for a blog entry.

Euell, that is quite a name and if I would have thought of it at the time I would have googled the name it's self to see what in the world it means or stands for or if a couple of parents just had a wicked sense of humor in calling their child Euell. It's not a name you hear any more, and I am guessing it won't make a resurgence in popularity any time soon either.

It was an interesting read on Mr. Gibbons though and I never knew much about the man except from his commercials for Grape Nuts cereal and the spoofs you saw of them on the tv variety shows from my early childhood. It does have me curious to read some of his books now on edible wild plants, but I just can't really see myself scouring the roadside ditches for lunch. A quick snack of wild roots and tree bark just doesn't sound all that appealing. I've been spoiled in this modern day of convenience, and that really came to light this week when I had a potluck dinner to attend and the theme for the evening was .....vegetarian/vegan.

Now I don't have a problem with being vegetarian, in fact I even gave up red meat for about a year and a half while in a health kick a few years ago. I embraced Yoga, wheat germ, and said No to processed junk. I've changed a bit though and now I say yes to everything, well almost everything..

You would think making a vegetarian dish would be simple. But it proved a challenge as I poured over cookbooks and googled on the internet. Vegetarian wasn't too hard, but going totally vegan with no cheese, milk, butter, etc. was proving to be difficult. Cheese and I had bonded, going cheese-less was almost painful. I finally decided on lime honey fruit salad and granola. Easy dishes and something that didn't require anything too out of the ordinary, like tofu. Tofu just makes a person cringe, no matter how you try to say it...

I am happy to report that my dishes were given two thumbs up and everyone else skirted around the tofu as well. I will admit, as I sat there and ate carrot and cabbage wraps with Thai peanut sauce, baked sweet potatoes and onions, cooked cabbage, more cooked cabbage...(there appeared to be a cabbage theme that night) ...that I was missing the beef. If only those veggie wraps were beefy and cheesy burritos I inwardly moaned...with extra dollops of sour cream. It could be low fat or fat free just give me the sour cream my mind screamed.

I am spoiled...Spoiled by all of those things that aren't good for me, but that we crave. I like my veggies but like most of us do, we considered them a side dish and not the main source of our meals. It's like an automatic switch in our heads, that being told we can't have something, we automatically crave it. I don't eat that much meat, but once told I couldn't have it, the moaning started.

I survived though and it wasn't all that painful,.... (well except from the gas and bloating from all of that cabbage)...

Thanks Euell for trying to get us to go back to our roots and eat our veggies. I can't always promise that they won't have cheese sauce on them though...

 

Recipe for Granola:

4 cups old fashioned oats

2 cups shredded coconut

2 cups slivered almonds

1/2 cup canola oil

1/3 cup honey

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 and 1/2 cups (1pkg) dried cranberries

Mix the nuts, oats, and coconut in a large zip-lock bag. Mix the oil, honey, and cinnamon together and pour on the oat mixture, seal bag and shake til the mixture is thoroughly combined. Spread out mixture on a large sheet pan and bake in a 325 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until lightly brown all over. Stir the mixture while cooking several times to even browning and prevent burning. Remove from oven and continue to frequently stir while cooling to prevent it from clumping and sticking to the sheet pan, Add dried cranberries, mix well, and store in a tightly covered container.

 

Honey and Lime Glazed Fruit Salad 

 1 - 20 ounce can pineapple chunks, in juice, drained, (reserve juice)


 2 - 11 ounce cans mandarin oranges, drained


 2 large bananas, sliced


 2 kiwi fruit, peeled, halved and sliced


 2 cups quartered fresh strawberries

 1 and 1/2 cups green seedless grapes

 1 and 1/2 cups red seedless grapes


 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel

 Juice of one large lime, (approx. 4 tablespoons lime juice)


 2 tablespoons honey

 Drain pineapple; reserve 1/2 cup juice.

Combine fruit in bowl. Stir together reserved pineapple juice, lime peel, lime juice and honey. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Makes a very large salad and can be cut in half.

 

29 comments:

  1. Hi Vic:
    Read recently that the average American eats two pounds of red meat per day. Also read recently that 60 % of Americans are overweight, with half of that total being obese. Think I'll skip the beef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have beef maybe once a week...... most of the time its chicken... the recipes sound good......though NOT diet !!!!!! (or good for my diverticulitus ) :((

    ReplyDelete
  3. <<< Is making juice reservations . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can be cut in half? What if I only want 7/16???

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a complicated and confusing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pssst lookee Um. Vic said "sliver".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lets mix that reserved pineapple juice with a bar of cream cheese and pour over all the fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I am complicated....and confused most days...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I eat beef about once a month, and when I do if it is not in a very small amount I feel like I have the whole cow marching around in my system.

    I also hardly eat anything fried, and I have more energy than when I was in my 40's. But one thing I have noticed, was without all that fat on my body I exchanged chubby cheeks for deep wrinkles. I am sure if I didn't use sun screen people would think I was a walking prune.

    Enjoyed your post and am going to try your looking recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could handle not eating meat but as you said Vic, doing without the eggs, cheese and milk just isn't any where in my agenda either. I can live off of pasta and bread. I drink about a half gallon of milk daily. All that veggie crap substitute is down right horrible. Just the smell of that soy milk reminds me of the stuff the kids burped up all the time when they were babies. I don't need that churning around on my insides. I can handle a little tofu diced up and used in something like a hot and sour soup but I won't mold my turkey out of it and baste it with beet juice and then have it jiggle off the table with everyone laffing at it.
    When they did Euell's autopsy they probably found his intestines packed tight and torn to shreds from all that fiber he consumed.

    The way I see it, the critters I eat have vegetarian diets, so it must be healthy for me to eat them....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I like veggies, pork chops, ham, ribs, steak, a good hamburger, pot roast, and all the other stuff too! It's also time to lose 30 or 40 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was alright until you got to the menus, then I decided you were just a sadist at heart. No correction a little red headed sadist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have been feasting on wild morels and ramps for the past two weeks. I grew up eating wild foods and still harvest quite a few different things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moi? lol now how am I a sadist mkchippy? Don't tell me you have a penchant for tofu? lol...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Moi? Now how come I am a sadist Mkchippy? Don't tell me you have a penchant for tofu,lol...

    ReplyDelete
  16. If your more health concious when you make your granola try this.. toast all your ingredients in a roasting dish in the oven on a very high heat ,stirring often, .Toast the oats first then sunflower seeds sesame seeds and whole almonds ( or slivers) shelled peanuts, lastly coconut, and what ever else in that line you want. DON'T ADD OIL coconut toasts quickly.so be careful..In a (saucepan/pot) boil for 3 mins honey.depending on the amount of dry ingredients but for about 2llbs boil 1/2 cup of honey and after 3 mins add the juice of a lemon and quickly pour over the toasted ingreds and mix. Mix well, add all the dried fruits you want and mix now and then till its cold to stop it from sticking. The lemon juice makes the honey go hard and when its cold it is a lovely free flow mix. I add currents, raisins, pineapple ,apricots, honey glazed banana chips and papya NO oil means less fat and its truely lovely, it cuts down on the calories.I make this for the back packers lodge i work in and its world famous !! Its basicly dry roasting /toasting

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds yummy, Glenda. I'm gonna make some.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The cabbage is all that sounded good to me. I guess I have ate enough of that that it doesn't cause gas. lol Thank God for that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Waits for Vero to make 21lbs of granola.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooh thanks for the tips and recipe Glenda, that was the first time I ever made granola. I will definitely give your recipe a try, sounds yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow Vic you are so talented ...now fess up how many chocolate chips made it into that ganola...was good to see the old tree huggers name again or was that tree chewer lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. NOtices Euell is wearing plaid....... is that where you get it from Viccles???

    ReplyDelete
  23. go for it vero . I make 4 lbs at a time for the Treehouse...I see I wrote 2llbs ..Oops its 2lbs sorry.....typical me...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like Vero's idea to mix reserved pineapple juice with a bar of cream cheese, yummmy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gee that Mac has an eagle eye! I didn't even notice the 21, Glenda. ( I think Mac is hoping I'll share)
    Don'tcha just love cream cheese in ANYTHING, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Did you know that plants are actually a living thing? (raises eyebrow and gives you that blank look). They will twist and turn to get the best position in the sunlight, they shy away from flames, hate loud noises like rap music, flourish on soft music and through evolution have designed to protect themselves by growing fruit to leave the plant itself alone.
    Soooo how about some cheesecake to go with that fruit salad while we bow our heads and give thanks to the varied plants' offerings of their fruit - snort.

    ReplyDelete