Thursday, September 25, 2008

Safe Haven

 This morning I read with interest a story in the news about Nebraska's Safe Haven Law. This law, also found in many other states, was put into effect to help prevent the abandoning of new born infants. The mother after giving birth and unable to care for, or not wanting the child, could walk into a hospital and drop their infant off with no questions asked. I am sure this law has saved many babies lives across the country. It lifts a burden from a mother that might be unwed, unemployed,or  unable to cope with the demands of a baby.

Most states limit the amount of time a mother can drop off the newborn infant, some only give the mother 72 hours. Some states give the mother a month, and some states have set the limit to one year of age. Nebraska's Safe Haven law doesn't specifically have any age limitations set. The past week and a half, area hospitals have found themselves with a bit of a quandary. Two young teenagers and one pre-teen were dropped off at local hospitals by their parents, and last night a father walked into an Omaha hospital and left all NINE of his children, raging in age from 1 year to 17 years old.

I have to admit that one of the first things that ran thru my mind, is that they should have insisted on the stipulation that the father get a vasectomy upon leaving all of his kids. Nine kids....wow...I had to wonder on how a parent could just one day decide to give up nine kids. There was no details given in the case, and I tried to think of every scenario.... An illegal immigrant? A homeless or soon to be homeless man? Has the economy gotten just that bad that raising nine kids is impossible on your own? Was the father baby-sitting and they got on his last nerve?....and where is the mom?

A sad story, and out of those nine kids my thoughts seemed to dwell the most on the 17 year old. Seventeen is almost an adult, but not quite. I couldn't think of why give up the 17 year old kid? At seventeen, they are self sufficient, or on their way to being self sufficient. Was the teenager  rebellious? Into drugs? Running with the wrong crowd? At 17 you aren't going to be the first kid to be adopted. One more year and then the teen will most likely be out on their own. Not the greatest start in their adult life. No one has to worry about babies though, everyone wants to adopt babies. But at 17 you should be in your senior year in high school, thinking about graduation and college, senior prom, class rings, and your biggest worry should be about having a pop quiz in history class. The economy is tough right now, for a 17 year old with nothing and no family to fall back on for support, emotional and otherwise, is daunting... I felt bad for the kid...

I know Nebraska's Safe Haven law will be getting an overhaul after this last case. Limits will most likely be set, and older children won't probably be included. I have mixed feelings over it. If it keeps a kid off the streets, or prevents the abuse of a child, who cares about limits? At the same time, I know that given the option, most parents will be tempted to drop off their kids at local hospitals the moment they turn into those sullen, backtalking, disrespectful, hormonal imbalanced teen-age semi-adults. Here take my kid, he/she is driving me nuts.

A safe haven... everyone should have one. A place to go when there is no where else to turn. The economy gets any worse and I may turn myself in... afterall, I haven't really grown up that much....

22 comments:

  1. I read the story and it made me mad too....it seems like kids are becoming disposable," hey I don't want them, let someone else care for them"...I don't think some of the kids running around having kids think of them as humans.....it is something the have, oh look its sooooo cute.....but then the babies grow up and demand time, money and patience.....There are more grandparents caring for their grandchildren then ever before....When did it become "OK" become pregnant as a teen?? Is it like a status symbol?? Like the pocket puppies or a cell phone?? Sorry this one touched a nerve with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vic:
    Wonderfully written, as usual. The problem I see here is that HOME is the usual safe haven, "the place where when you show up, they have to take you in." A quandary, indeed.
    Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't imagine what the older children are thinking. How it might make them feel. Panic? Angry? Worthless? What a horrible thing to have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! 9 kids! Maybe it wasn't the kids on drugs but the parent or dad who dropped em off! It really is a sad story Vic....great blog!
    The worlds crazy! In alotta ways!
    I gotta agree w/yah too on the older kids. Everyone wants babies, even when they go abroad for em'....I feel so sorry for the older kids. Wut a world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good meaningful blog Vic ty. Noone should have kids unless they are mentally and financially prepared to raise them well. Birth control is now known to everyone..if they are old enough to have sex..they should be old enough to use birth control methods too.Unwed mothers, teenage mothers..sooner or later do face problems...and the kids have to bear the brunt of it. Being 'unwanted'' or being a ''mistake'' is a terrible feeling. I cant understand how a man could go on having NINE kids..he should have stopped after the 2nd one if he had any sense. Its no wonder some of the younger generation have warped minds. I dont see that 17 year old growing up as a normal person. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even with these laws, you still hear of newborn babies found next to dumpsters or in doorways... so sad... as for the 17 year old and those old enough to understand what has happened, this is going to affect them emotionally for the rest of their life... but you don't have to worry Vic, Mtn and & would take you in {{{mopsy hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have ya too vic but you will have to find yr way here first !! that is sad though I dont know of any place like that here . Its not a normal thing to happen here babies being left .

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a safe haven for you in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read about this yesterday too. Kid's of today are throw away kid's. It's a shame that a parent can't accept the responsibility of raising them. Sometimes I agree with other countries limiting how many children you can have, I don't know if that still goes on or not but it should here in the US. I tend to think that many children are born because one or both of the parent's don't want to get out and work so the more kid's they have the more they get from the state. It all makes me sick to my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sad I cant imagine life without my kids but when me and my oldest ended up on the street i nearly handed her to the state. I instead held her tighter. she was 1 and so cute oh my . I am glad God let me keep her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know no one wants to hear about way back when but then (when I was growing up) families took care of families. If a neighbor was having bad luck all the neighbors came to help. A kid then did not hear of drugs and very few got in trouble. Now its the parents in trouble and paving the way for the kids to do the same. I can not imagine how a kid would feel to be thrown away. Yea, Vic you can come here and stay. I know then I would never run out of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. People do desperate things in desperate times. The government doesn't make it easy for someone who has nine kids to find help. I don't know this man's situation but think he had reached his limits and had to leave the children knowing they would have food and a roof over their head. Let's pray for him and others in this situation...I thank God he did not leave them on the street or even worse. I hope all states will find it in their hearts to be compassionate...it's not the fault of the children no mater if they are 17 or older...some are able to care for themselves , sadly some are not...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd have to agree with Dixie...not only does the government NOT make it easy, in retrospect, it seems to me that the government has created most of the problem...

    They offer aid in a place to drop off one's children, when they should be assisting people in keeping their children...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yea ! I agree with ya too, Suzi ! and Dixie too! I don't have any kids just my hoovers, I would be happy to take ya in Vic, tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a tangled web this one is. I agree with you and the mixed feelings. The safe haven was not established for something like this. My heart goes out to all of those children, I don't care what age they are. It reminds me of the great depression and that scares the hell out of me. Poor houses and orphanages were full, everyone lost. In this situation I think the parent needed to account for his actions. If there is abuse involved the adult needs to be turned over to the court system.

    I had not read anything about this particular situation and it blows my mind. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Canada has safe havens and it seems to work. I haven't heard of that story but geeeeee maybe the parent needs some psychological intervention with group help available.
    Great post Vic it makes one think - a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Has a visual of Viccles wearing a little pink dress, with a little white pinafore...black patent leather Mary Jane's, little white socks, folded down, with pink lace around the top...sitting on the steps of the hospital...waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here is a link on an update from the news on this story, at the bottom of the news article is a couple of links giving a few more details of the story.

    http://www.ketv.com/news/17591420/detail.html?rss=oma&psp=news

    ReplyDelete
  19. [Last week, Gary Staton made national headlines when he left his nine children at Creighton University Hospital, saying he fell apart under the responsibility of raising the kids after his wife died of a brain aneurysm.

    "I hope they know I love them," Staton said last week. "I hope their future is better without me around them."]

    I knew there had to be some reason the man couldn't care for these children and he I think he's a good soul who tried to do the best he could for these children. He did leave them in a safe place and did not abandon them in the streets or at home with nothing to eat. My heart goes out to this man and I hope God blesses him and his family. Whatever the circumstances the children should be top priority in this nation of plenty...after all we send tons of money and relief to other countries that hate us....why can't we care for our own?

    ReplyDelete
  20. This may sound rather stupid Vic but looking at the case of the father and nine kids.... If a man who was divorce twice or more and had the duty to provide child support , wouldn't getting all those kids to a drop off point, turning them over to the state, be turning over the child support obligations to the state? There are a lot of scumbag parents out there and lawyers that have about the same moral fortitude. I am sure that given an opportunity like the one presented it will be taken advantage of.
    I wonder if the mother or mothers of those 9 kids knew what was happening?

    ReplyDelete
  21. According to a couple of articles I have read on this case, the mother died a year and a half ago. The father sounds like an overwhelmed caring dad in that link I posted above, but if you read some of the earlier reports, the father did NOT mention to his in-laws he was giving the kids up and he was just at their place the week-end before. (The in-laws are now trying to keep the kids.) The father and his wife were investigated several years earlier for child neglect and I think in the long run he just wanted an easier way out. There was one more kid who was 18 and too old to be left. I think I would be asking everywhere and everyone for help if I was about to lose my whole family...

    ReplyDelete