Monday, September 29, 2008

Birthday Gifts...

Thanks to everyone who sent me cards, gifts, offlines, and well wishes for my birthday yesterday. All in all it was a pretty good day except for the getting older stuff. Thankfully I made it to that (cough) 29th year milestone ....again.

Birthdays... I just  can't get excited about them. It's a reminder of time passing and getting older, and grayer and more cynical about everything. But this year wasn't so bad, it wasn't an extraordinary birthday, it was just another day...with cake. But cake is a good thing, and so are birthday presents. I doubt if many of you remember a blog I wrote last year on my three wishes. It was a blog about three different things asked for my birthday and ended up buying or making myself. I'm an adult, I should know by now, or expect that what you ask for you don't always get, it's just a fact of life. But this year...this year I am happy to report that I got my wish..I even got it several days early...

When having lunch out with my mom one day, she casually asked what I wanted for my birthday, I looked her straight in the eye and said... "I want several bags of topsoil/humus manure mix"... Yes folks, I asked for a pile of poo for my birthday...

I thought my mom was going to bust a gut laughing. It's not every day someone asks for a pile of poo for a birthday gift, but the practical and gardening side of me was in the need for some to amend a new planting bed. It took some convincing but I finally had her believing I was serious, and a couple of days later she drove up and proudly announced she had my poo. As I unloaded the bags into a wheelbarrow, my mom chattered on about the fact that not only had she got the stuff I had wanted but it was on sale...it was on clearance and was super cheap. My ears perked up...cheap poo? My mind already wandering about picking up even more bags of poo, darn why hadn't I asked for a bigger pile of poo?

By now most of you who are reading this blog entry are beginning to think I have totally lost it. Who in their right mind would be excited over bags of that brown muck? It's something I have noticed about me changing thru the years....I have become practical...very practical. Oh I love sparkly crystal, pretty linens, perfumed lotions, etc. But I find so much of those things tucked in drawers or cabinets, hardly ever seeing the light of day. They just take up space or need to be cleaned and dusted.

When I was asked for what I wanted, I was working on a newly spaded up garden bed. It needed the soil amended. It was what I needed for that moment. Next year when asked, I most likely will ask for something else other than bags of poo. But whatever I ask for, I know it will be something practical and be put to good use......And every time I work out in that new little flower garden I will have a giggle or two remembering the look on my mom's face when I asked for a birthday gift of a  pile of poo...

Happy birthday to me.....happy birthday to me....




27 comments:

  1. lol Vic you sound like me. Always wanting something that you really need. It makes common sense to only ask for what you need when you get older. I got an iron once but made my husband mad that he couldn't get no other ideas from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good day...Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to you...
    Happy birthday to you...
    You got what you asked for...
    You got bags of...oh, never mind. ;-)

    Any cake left????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol Vic..you are a riot. I coughed my ass off laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do remember your post last year. About the cake and the TV set. I am so glad you got your cake, and that the birthday fairy brought you lots of pooh. Sounds like when you ask for pooh, pooh is what you get. I think I will ask for some icky old candy for my my birthday. Happy Birthday beautiful Vic. Now get outside and go play in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well GF, I am pleased you got your wish this time lol however there is enough poo going around multiply that we could have sent you a truck load for sure LMBAO! Glad you had a happy birthday:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK this crept up without any warning, sorry but these are belated birthday wishes. Glad you got what you wanted for your big day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my i can relate to u viccles- don't even ned a bow needer - happy b-day darlin- and many many many healthy more - "HAPPY B_ DAY " first mate arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr break our da rum -huggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. WEll Viccles I guess this years birthday beats the chit out of a lot of them.........walks away thinking..hmmmmmmm where can I get a bag of poo in January.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue..ppl dont poo in January???!!! (Sprays the blog with air freshner)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hah I'm gettin scared we are so alike...Every year for Mother's Day I asked for a bag of poo too...Hubby hated it cuz that is all I wanted so he gave in....You seemed to have really enjoyed this year Vic. Big Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. actually Vic, it don't sound too wierd, I think as we get older we do get more practical. I can so relate to this! Almost every year, I get a tree for my bday, which I love! And again, I feel the same way....it's just anudder day....I tried screetching on the brakes 10 yrs. ago....lol...it don't work, and they seem to come faster every year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beats the crap outta me.........gets more air freshener.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol Vic, I asked for, and got poop for my birthday last year! Glad you had a good one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AND...it came all gift wrapped too...in that blue parcel with a ribbon....up there! Wow..fancy huh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Vic:
    I can relate, totally, to your tendency to value the practical and having just bought five bags of composted steer manure, to your praise and preference for poo. May the growing force be with you.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Vic......I asked for gardening tools for my birthday, and got them.......as long as I promised not to use them on the gift giver

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lights a bag of poo on fire and hides and waits for Vic to come out and stomp on it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday Vic - I often get a pile of pooo for my birthday and no I've never asked for it. Now I'll know where to regift hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy belated birthday, Vic. Wish I could send you a truck load... there is a stable bout half mile from me and I can get all the "poo" I want for free. I sure make good use of that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. here ya go Vic.........


    Sorry I had to Pooh it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Vic, I am sorry to do this to you but you might want to check out this website on poo ROFLMBO http://www.smellypoop.com/facts_about_poop.php

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonders how far anyone else got reading that poop site. I got about as far as the scotch tape and had to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you had a lovely Birthday Vic, Better not let Gloggy see this blog of yours, you won't live it down all this talk about poo!

    Also I'm sorry you didn't get your birthday wish, I have been on at Gloggy all week about coming over to multiply but with no luck as yet..... doesn't mean I haven't stopped trying.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok your the 1st one i've met that wanted poo!!!!!!! Hope your birthday was a good one!


    Spicecomments.com - Funny Comments

    ReplyDelete