Sunday, June 8, 2008

O' Pioneer...

 When I was a kid I use to love to read stories on the pioneers and read about the hardships they faced. I found it fascinating that they just packed up and moved westward to unforeseen territory and dangers to build new lives. It took guts, determination, and a strong will to forge that path. It seemed everything they endured, and life in general, was full of hardships with endless work just to survive and eke out a living.

They were tough, those pioneers...

I remember sitting at my grandmother's table and listening to stories of hard times, and what people did just to keep body and soul together. My grandmother would often tell stories of her own mom's life and all the work she did around the farm to keep it going. I knew my great grandmother, I grew up and always remembered seeing her sitting at my grandmother's, her daughter's, table. She was always dressed in a cobbler's apron over a cotton dress, hair in a bun,... and she would just sit. It was hard for me to visualize her as the woman my grandmother spoke of. My great grandmother would point at things she saw that needed to be done......swat that fly...sprinkle the paprika on the deviled eggs, ...and other small insignificant details she saw while sitting. She didn't seem so tough, she just seemed old. I guess she really was when I think of it.... no wonder she sat, she must have been tired.

My great grandmother was a school teacher for a year or two, eventually married great grandpa, and they then moved to one of their farms. Their folks were rich, and they were rich, until the great depression and they lost all but one small acreage. Great grandpa was a jack of all trades...a truck driver, a barber, he also broke horses, but if there was hard work to be done on the farm, one of the hired hands did it or great grandmother. Listening to my grandmother speak of her mom, it amazed me, ...she amazed me. Great grandpa would fell the trees and great grandmother worked the wood up by herself. She milked the cows, she grew a huge garden, planted trees, ..it sounded like she did most of everything, and I am sure she felt like she did too. She was to me, a pioneer...a strong pioneer woman like I read about in my books. She was strong, she was fearless, she was fascinating...

The other night I got to thinking about those pioneers in our past when my electricity went out and I was without those modern conveniences we have. It was storming, skies were brewing, rain was falling, there had been talk all day of monster storms that could erupt. Tornado watches had been issued, flood warnings, wind warnings,... all kinds of warnings ...

I watched the skies, and the layers and layers of angry clouds roll past. I watched them til it became too gray and rainy to see them any more. I wandered thru the house, hoping for the smallest glimmer that the electricity would flicker back on. I couldn't find a battery operated radio, I couldn't listen to the news, I was cut off...all alone from the outside world and I was.....bored.

How in the world did those pioneers do it? An oil lamp, lit, didn't give off enough of a glow to do any thing. How they managed not to go blind by using them to work by in the evenings is beyond me. How did they fill their evenings? Or did they? Did they just go to bed once it got dark? It was hard for this nightowl to comprehend. Usually I adore sleep... there is nothing better than curling up and taking a nap on rainy days, or staying in bed as late as you can on a week-end morning....but I wasn't tired... I was bored. The storm raged...and I fumed, peeved at my inconvenience of no conveniences.

So I did what all good pioneers would have done in my situation. I grabbed my tiny flashlight and made my way thru the house. I perched the flashlight carefully on the counter and I dug in the cold darkness til I found it. Moments later I was back perched by the window, peering into the darkness, the flashlight and two scoops of chocolate chip ice cream by my side.

I had saved the ice cream from certain melty oblivion... Okay maybe the carton didn't seem that squishy and I had to put a little more muscle into scooping out that first scoop, but it wouldn't go to waste. Everyone knows how fast ice cream melts...or would be melting soon in my powerless fridge. After awhile I finally just gave up and went to bed. Ten minutes later and the electricity came back on.

I had persevered. I even in fact felt a little pioneer-ish. I had kept my sanity, I had survived the storm, I had been totally powerless,....for an hour and fifty-five minutes...


This pioneering stuff ain't for sissies...

 

 

20 comments:

  1. Its what you get used to, each generation is different but each survives in its own era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Vic, I loved the Pioneer stories (and still do) I have a set of the Little House books that are in tatters from being read so much.I still read them but I find I know most of the pages by heart so it really isn't that entertaining any more.Somehow, living that close to the land, in spite of all the dangers and hardships, gives a peace of mind that cannot be found any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh girl! You should be a write I swear! I know them pioneer days were sumfin, we're sooo spoiled by modern conviences, and when the electricity goes out you really realize it! Great blog! And funny too....ie: scooped ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are still hundreds of villages in India without electricity...by sunset, you see the ladies lighting up the spirit lamps...no gas...wooden stoves, sometimes they use dried cow dung patties as fuel..they work in the fields all day, come home and draw water from a well by hand...wash their hands and feet and start looking for veggies in their little patches to cook an evening meal of flat breads and a veggie to go with it. They collect dried up Neem leaves and burn them to fumigate their homes against mosquitoes.They sit around a large tree, smoking and chatting..one can hear a lot of laughter at times, and the kids run around playing with sticks and stones.They have no Tv..no music systems..no recreation...yet they seem happy enough. I sit for hours watching all these activities at my daughter's farm..where a village still has no electric supply. We have sent out several appeals to the Govt to give them a power supply, but these things take time. Any country..its more or less the same..cultures may differ, but survival patterns are similar. I wish I could paint and capture these moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heck the last severe power outage we had I was going nuts because I needed my coffee. I fired up the BB-Q thank goodness we had a full tank. Made coffee and cooked breakfast for the gang as with small kids bottles needed warming also. I lit my oil lanterns the night before and you are right they don't give off much light let alone try to read by or sew. As long as we didn't open the fridge or freezer we had approx 24hrs before things would start to melt. We had no power for about 10 hrs.
    Thank goodness Vic you had ice cream to soothe your woes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stories as well
    I can't imagine the hardship they had to endure
    but I'd love to be slapped back in time for a wk
    just to see the water so clear and the air pure
    thanks sweetie for this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when we had a severe winter storm that took our electricity for 7 days...Thankfully we had a gas heater and a gas grill. at least we could prepare a hot meal, maybe not the kind we were used to but that week it seemed everything was more appreciated. I melted snow on top of the gas stove and warmed it enough to give my then rather small children a bird bath. I thought I'd go absolutly insane that week. The one thing I learned is that when your neighborhood is out of power, they will make their way to your house to eat and stay warm. Somehow we managed to not kill each other that week. Lord knows I threatened to..... And as for ice cream.... we made snow cream!....so I guess the human kind will find a way, lol. Glad to hear you survived the storms. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dounds like tent campin to me lol- still wonderin why did the bring uncle john and aunt lizzie in da house?love ur blog - is nice to be seld sufficient isn't it - - so many other people in ur pockets now adays- -wow and no mention of chocolate- too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vic, this was wonderful. I could smell the old wood stove and feel the chill of the morning air. That was a time when men were men and women were men. lol. My husband and I used to do historical re-enactment of the 1800's...how I miss those days. It makes me wonder what the women 200 years from now will say about us. Perhaps it will be, "I can't believe they used to cut people open to fix medical problems, and can you imagine eating food out of a can? Yuck" I hope that is what they are saying and not..."I found a live fish in the river today, we will have a feast of tree bark, fresh grass and rock baked fish."

    ReplyDelete
  10. When the going gets tough, the tough get ice cream!!!!!! great read Viccles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this blog! I also loved the pioneer books and the old southern novels. I do not approve of slavery but those southern belles sure had it made. I could live with someone to run and fetch for me but not under those circumstances. Still to have someone out there cranking that ice cream freezer...... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember my mom telling us about the hard times. But also I remember when all we had was a wood stove to cook on and having to get our baths out in the shed as there was no indoor bathroom. I was 13 years old then and hard times had hit us good. But I learned how to cook on that old wood stove and would love to have one again to prepare a big meal on for all my family. During our ice storm in Dec. we had to use those Kerosene lamps or oil lamps and it was useless to try to read a darn thing. I did have a gas cook stove and for heat we boiled water all day and all night just to keep the house warm. Now that might be the last hard times we ever have to experience in my lifetime ever again and I won't regret it as it did get mighty boring. The best part of the whole experience is that Joseph and I would sit up for hours talking and listening to the tree's cracking and crashing to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy I still have the old oil lamp that I did my homework by. Our little "holler" was one of the last places around here to get electricity. The scent of kerosene burning brings back so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A power outage does make you appreciate what we have sometimes. I guess they did go to bed pretty early. It probably wouldn't seem so hard if it is all you know. I imagine they were happy to have a well. Many people had to haul water.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh I just loved this blog Vic! You should write books.
    Ditto on the Little House Book series Vero...lol.

    After my hubby and I purchased our land in East Tennessee Mountains (35 years ago) we put a small mobile home on it. We were sooo young and broke that it took us over a year to have electric and water brought up onto our place. No phone service and there were no cell phones either. We hauled all our water and cut and burned firewood for over a year for heating and cooking. My Family members were over 870 miles away from me. I remember the loneliness and boredom while my hubby worked. Thank goodness for Laundromat's...lol. Hey...I should blog about this sometime. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wondering if we may have to go back to the pioneer ways in order to survive today. We are so dependent on fuel and it's getting more impossible to purchase it and basic necessities with each passing day. I remember my parents and grandmother talking about how hard things were when they lived through the Great Depression ....looks as if it might come to pass again:(:(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember my Grandmother saving every little mustard and ketchup packet, sugar creamer...etc... even those little bowls you got your biscuit and gravey in from the fast food resturants.... I couldn't understand why she did that. My Mom said is was because she lived through the great depression and remembers being without so many things... I guess that sorta would make you not waste anything.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wait..I always bring back extra plastic spoons from the icecream parlour and aircrafts too. I use them in my spice jars lol. Sshhh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that's a great idea...I won't tell. lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always thought the narration of the Donner Party was amazing but Vic you need to write. You have a sincere knack to write about the days we all love to hear about, read about and visualize.
    Great Post!!

    ReplyDelete