Thursday, February 14, 2008

Romantic...

 

"Isn’t it romantic?

Music in the night, a dream that can be heard.

Isn’t it romantic?

Moving shadows write the oldest magic word.

I hear the breezes playing in the trees above

While all the world is saying you were meant for love.

Isn’t it romantic

Merely to be young on such a night as this?

Isn’t it romantic?

Every note that’s sung is like a lover’s kiss.

Sweet symbols in the moonlight,

Do you mean that I will fall in love perchance?

Isn’t it romance?

(instrumental)

Sweet symbols in the moonlight,

Do you mean that I will fall in love perchance?

Isn’t it romantic?

Isn’t it romance?"

( Lyrics by Lorenz Hart, music by Richard Rodgers)

 

 

What is romantic?

The past couple of days leading up to Valentine's Day today I have pondered on that question. Every person has different thoughts and views on what they would consider is romantic. I thought that for this holiday for lovers, it would make a good blog entry,... this romantic stuff. So one evening this past week after having dinner with my mom I asked her the question...."What is romantic?".. Our conversation didn't exactly quite go as I was expecting,... It went something like this:

Me: "Mom, what do you think is romantic?"
Mom: "What is romantic? I don't know any romantic men, all I know is rheumatic men".
Me:... (eye roll)...Okay well what do you think is the most romantic gift you have ever gotten?
Mom: "Expensive jewelry".
Me: "Expensive jewelry you consider romantic?"..."you don't wear jewelry hardly at all".
Mom: "Well getting the jewelry was a surprise".
Me: "So anything else you want to elaborate on stuff that is romantic?"
Mom: "I did date a few guys in my younger years, but I just wanted a good time".
Me:...(shocked look)" MOM, do you know how that sounds?"
Mom: "I didn't mean it like that, I just liked to go out dancing, dinners, movies, some guys wanted to be more serious".
Me: "So when I write my blog on romance, I can tell everyone my mom said she only sees rheumatic men, thinks expensive jewelry is the most romantic gift, and you only were out for a good time"..."do you know how bad that sounds?".
Mom"...(giggle)... "well I did have a few encounters in my life".
Me:.. "ENCOUNTERS??!!"...."MOTHER!"...
Mom: ....(giggle)..." I only meant I have dated more than I thought when I look back on my life when I was younger"...."maybe I have been reading too many romance novels"....(giggle).
Me: "Yeah I think so"....(eye roll).

So much for going to my mom for the source of romance. Having four kids I thought for sure she would enlighten me on to what could be considered romantic.

Off I went on a search for what is romantic. I was lucky enough to catch a few friends on messenger and I posed the question to them. I asked the same amount of men and women to make it more fair and then thought I would post the results from my survey of what is romantic.

I have to tell you I was shocked. Not shocked at the answers but by who gave me those answers. Would you believe that the more romantic and sentimental answers were given by the men? I thought for sure when I asked the question of them, I would receive answers back such as ....hockey tickets, powertools, and sex.. Okay maybe that is a bit chauvinistic of me to expect those kind of answers, but I didn't expect the level of "mushiness" from the men. Maybe they were giving me the answers they thought I wanted to hear, but I don't think so. When you get right down to it, men like romance as much as women. Some of the responses I got from both sides of the spectrum when asked the question "what is romantic" were:

Feeling special, feeling supported
What someone does
Cooking dinner for your lady while she is taking a bubble bath
A loving glance
Touching and holding someone's face
Kissing
Holding hands while walking
A gentle touch
A gleam in the eye
Watching sunsets together



Hearing their answers it made me think harder on what I thought was romantic and I was asked by one or two people on what I thought was romantic. I told them, what I think is romantic ....is the unexpected.

I am not just talking about spontaneity either. I think romance can be found in almost anything and in anyone. It can be said with flowers, candy, jewelry, greeting cards....and it can be said with just a smile, a touch or fried potatoes....

Fried potatoes you ask,....yes in fried potatoes. I knew a guy that would stay up waiting for his wife to get home from working second shift. When she walked thru the door after midnight he would have waiting for her a plate of hot fried potatoes,...one of her favorite foods. He did it just because....

I like that... fried potatoes....it's just so unexpected.... and romantic...

 

 

16 comments:

  1. Well, fried potatos would do it for me after a long shift at work. You can't, after all, eat diamonds.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with whomever said...'Holding hands while walking'...I think that's about as romantic as it gets...made more so by age...to see old(er) couples walking hand in hand makes my heart smile...THAT'S love...
    My grandparents were married 68 years, and they still held hands when they were out together...to be with someone that long, to know everything there is to know about them...and STILL want to hold their hand...I should be so lucky...Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um....I think when I win my dreamhome on HGTV, I'll spend some time w/Mr. Absolut, and find out what it means to be really romantic! LMAO! And of course, I agree w/all of the above. I'm not dead yet, so my romantic list, hopefully will keep growing. I just like the thoughtfulness of my hub. More then anything. My favorite candy bar sitting in my gas filled, newly washed car. Picking up stuff that I happened to mention I need or want. Finding perfume under my pillow. I don't need Valentines day, cuz he's always good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romantic, is when he would hand me a tissue when I would cry, and just hold me until I was done.
    Romantic, was a potato I found in my briefcase when I had a tough meeting, and he knew I would laugh and wonder about it, and to remind me life does not have to be so serious.
    Romantic, is when he would cry with me and for me. God I miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum... do I smell fried potatoes? Gets out plate and fork.. Vic if I eat fried potatoes with you does that mean I have to be yer Valentine? Oh well, what the heck.. where's the ketchup?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every thing taste good with Ketchup !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I'm back. Romantic ? Someone just being there when ya need them. Wish I would have thought of those fried potatoes. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Romantic is being thought of and three little words said more than just once a day. Little surprises any day of the year not Just Valentines Day. A wink, hug or a kiss any time of the day any day of the year.
    I luv fried potatoes. Vic are ya gonna surprise me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. humm, fried tators would have been good with dinner tonite........

    ReplyDelete
  10. Romantic is getting his phone call...just because he was thinking about me. Then he asks whats for dinner...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Romancic is being spoonfed HaganDas while soaking in the bathtub, or getting a love letter jigsaw puzzle in the mail one piece at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahhhhhhhhh love is a many splintered thing hehe love for me is when ol Sugar lips unloads the dish washer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I think the most romantic thing is a gentle pat on the shoulder and the words "I love you". I have that done to me often and that reassures me of my husbands love he has for me. I always tell him I love him and neither of us expects anything in return...if you know what I mean. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Puts on bib and waits for the fried potatoes

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's romantic when peeps share yer chcolate with intenet friends...........(blinkin all big eyed)

    ReplyDelete