Friday, November 2, 2007

Mirror, Mirror...

 Mirror, mirror on the wall.....I am afraid to ask who is the fairest of them all....I am afraid you will crack,...  you will crack up with laughter.

Have you ever thought what in the world we would do without a mirror? We use it daily to check our appearance, check for imperfections, things that need working on, and sometimes for backing up. No I am I not here to tell you that the object in the rearview mirror was closer than I thought and I ran into something. I do have mirrors on my mind today, and more importantly the reflections we see in them.

There are all kinds of mirrors. Vanity mirrors, compact mirrors, fun house mirrors, rearview mirrors, full length mirrors, so many mirrors it would seem we never tire of looking at ourselves. I have tried to do that today, see reflections both mine and others. Sometimes our mirrors tell us things we don't want to see or know. Sometimes we look in a mirror and see things nobody else sees. I guess that could be considered another kind of mirror, a two way mirror. Some reflections are fleeting, some are cloudy, some are invisible, and some are so distorted we wonder if it is the mirror's fault or our own.

If only we all could be happy with what we see in our own individual mirror. What you see in yours, I may not see in mine. Standing side by side looking in the same mirror would we both see the same reflection? Or do we see what we want to see reguardless of what the mirror is really telling us?

Everyone wants to look good, there is a reason we have vanity mirrors and why they are so named. I use a mirror every day to comb my hair, put on my make-up, make sure I look presentable for the rest of the world. Seeing the same face every day staring back at you, you wonder do I really look like that? Do mirrors lie? or is it just people and our minds? A mirror shows everything, every wrinkle, grey hair, pound gained or lost, it can be our best friend and worst enemy. It's just there though, to try and tell us the truth. What we put in that mirror reflects back on us.

A lot of things we have in our lives are a reflection of us. Our family, our friends, the people we surround ourselves with daily. They reflect a lot about our personalities, likes, dislikes, and things that matter to us. It would be nice if every person came with their own mirror. We could see not only what that person looked liked but what they reflect back to us. That reflection might be beautiful, it might not be so attractive, it might even be empty. But there would be just one view, ...the same view. It would be so  handy. The only problem with that theory is no two people see the same thing. You may try to reflect one thing, but someone sees it or you differently. Mirrors don't lie, but people can,.. and do. People and  their reflections can disappoint you in many ways, just like your own mirror.

Today I looked in the mirror and I saw a woman with tired dark eyes. When you looked in the mirror today what did you see?

18 comments:

  1. Oh my vic that was deep I need to ponder more on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to think about this one Vic..... I see my children's mother, my parent's daughter, my sister's sister, my husband's wife. I see many facets of my life, in the character of my face. I see 'me' the one person that has always been there for me, my own best friend.....uhhhhh I could use some more make up....

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly thought-provoking blog, Miss Vic! Well done!
    Funny, as I read it, I was looking around me, chuckling to myself.

    I collect antique mirrors...I have them, practically, everywhere...
    When people comment on them, I reply that they are 'self-portraits'...interestingly enough, I say it 'tongue-in-cheek'...for I never look in them.
    I bought them because of their beauty...some have beveled glass, some have amazing frames, some oddly shaped...and I wondered, as I purchased them, of the people who had owned them before me...who had looked in them before me...who were they?...what were they like?...were they happy?...sad?...young?...old? It always makes me smile to think about them.

    I used to be one of those people who, literally, 'lived' with my face in a mirror...or looking at my reflection in all the store windows I passed by on the street...how I looked was very important to me...I always 'needed' to look my absolute best...
    But, one day, many years ago, I asked myself, 'Why?'...I realized that I am who I am...I like how I look...and I am happy with myself.
    I stopped wearing make-up...my skin is better off without it...
    I don't need to look in the mirror to comb my hair...my hair does exactly what it wants to do anyway, so why bother?

    'Men look at themselves in mirrors. Women look for themselves'...~ Elissa Melamed ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. judging from I saw in the mirror this morning I saw a lady in need of a vacation, bags already packed and under the eyes. LOL Cute blog Vic, the best way to look in the mirror , is without my glasses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vic:
    To (mis)quote Paul Simon: "A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest." My mirror keeps showing me this old guy with a shiny head and a grey goatee, don't know who the hell he is but I wish he'd get out of my bathroom. Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now Vic, I say we get the whole gang together and go beat the chit out of the mirror and tell it to stop looking at us*winks and grins*

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW...what I saw this morning was HORRIBLE before coffee lol...but after that, I just saw some washed out old hag that hadn't had good sleep in days that needed to do something, anything, with her hair! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mirrors in my house consist of very few. I hate to look into one and don't relish one being over my bathroom sink cause what I see if frightening. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate mirrors and pictures of me. I feel like crying when I see them. ARG run it is me the monster that usta be under my bed. Now it is my reflection

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Blog Vic. My mirror..well what is left of it tells me I need a hair cut. The kind of mirror I need now is one of those that lights up and magnifies..Actually I can never get to close to a mirror cuz the focals don't focus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this hideous dark-eyed woman staring back at me! Aaaaaaggghhh! (leaps back in fear) Oh, it was just you Vic. Whew! Ummm, your vanity mirror cracked and now you need a new one. (scoots pieces over with paw)... How many years bad luck is that now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. well I wake up miss mary sunshine... hahaha me and the cats are happy..hubby wants us all dead,he is a freakin old grouch..that needless to say ....he get put properly in his place..!!! Love the lil girl in the "lookin Glass"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your philosopher came out on this one, great blog. I saw my mother in there a few years ago, but now there is just some old woman who follows me around. I have tried to make friends with her. I once drew a smiley face on the mirror with lip stick and stepped into the image only to find that she had a smile in the place where her hair line used to be. But alas, I couldn't fool her. She does not respond well when I play peek-a-boo with her, as I found she was faster than I, as she always beat me to the mirror first. Most mornings I just wish her a good day, and know that she will be there to help me brush my teeth before bed. But the time she is most happy is when her granddaughters are standing beside her playing with my cosmetics. Indeed she is a reflection of me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I look into the glass mirror I see my coffin coming a little closer. While writing this I am listening to the film The Doors which is on TV and look into my mirror the mirror in my mind and I see a lot of friends past a lot of songs a lot of feelings positive and negative, I see a life I once had, a love I once had who died and lots of summery days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...now I'm depressed..sigh..."Not"...lol.
    I too, like Suzi... collect antique mirrors. I have mirrors in every room but the kitchen. snicker
    They open up a room...and I keep starring into the very old ones waiting for someone from the past to shadow my image...giggle...BOO! Besides Vic...mirrors lie like the devil...I know I'm much younger...much taller...and everyday is a "good hair day". LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a big fan of mirrors. I hate being the first person I see every morning. I do not enjoy seeing whats looking back at me with tooth paste foaming out of my mouth like a mad dog and the bed hair all astray. Who was the first person to decide we should have mirrors in bathrooms? Was that you Vic, lol. I never could figure out why my wife spends so much time looking in a mirror and fixing her face as she calls it and then turns to me and asks how it looks. I never ever thought it was broken in the first place. Full length mirror have me all confused cause I always see them as circus mirrors. I never understood why people have them in their bathrooms. Specially if they are mounted across from a toilet. That's not something I want an image of me doing burned into my brain. Bad enough I have the tooth paste image.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL! This is a great blog Vic! I just stand further from the mirror these days. Otherwise I might be getting the duct tape out, and who knows what I will do then??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Vic:
    The only mirror I have in my (born again)bachelor pad is a tiny one I use to check for missed hairs while shaving. But I can remember as a teenager being obsessed with my appearance and unable to resist the call of a mirror. I much prefer my attitude now, ie: couldn't care less.
    Take care and be safe..

    ReplyDelete