Saturday, September 29, 2007

Entry for September 29, 2007 - Three Wishes...


I had meant to write this blog last night. Whether from it being just too eventful of a day for this birthday girl, or old age creeping up on me, I didn't get it done. I knew all of you would be on tenterhooks wanting to know about a day in the life of Vic on such a momentous occasion.

I got news for ya... birthdays aren't so hot when you get older. I know one should always be glad that you are having a birthday because it means you are still on this good earth. But birthdays aren't at all like they were when you were a kid. Anticipation of presents,and cards, and cake, and parties filled your mind when you were a kid. When you are older you no longer have that anticipation, that joy of a special day you consider all of your own. Being a twin, birthdays always meant sharing for me. First of all you had to share your special day and most often you had to share gifts, even your candle laden birthday cake you had to share. I wish my scanner was working so I could upload a pic I have of my 7th birthday. There in front of my twin bro and I are two cakes, yes TWO cakes with candles. My grandmother, wise woman that she is, always made it a point to bake two cakes, one for each of us. I think she knew that birthdays were special, especially to a child. Nothing says birthday more than your own cake.

Yesterday my mom wanted to take me to lunch for my birthday. We were discussing in the car on where to go to eat. Upon spying one of her favorite eateries she asked about stopping there for my birthday dinner. After we had eaten, my mom pulled out a small notepad and a pen. She is notorious for making lists. Lists on everything, and then leaving them at home on the kitchen table. But today she had remembered her lists, on it already were things she needed to get. She pushed the pad towards me and asked me what did I wish for, and to add it to her list. I jokingly replied, " is there where I ask for three wishes and my fairy godmother will grant them?" She just smiled and said write down what I wanted. I sat there and thought. Most things that popped into my mind were too much to ask for. Big ticket items that I knew she could not afford and I wouldn't dream of asking her to buy. My mind drew a blank. I said, "well today is my birthday, it should be my lucky day, so how about a lotto ticket?"... "What else?" , she asked... I grinned and wrote down for my second wish, a new and bigger kitty litter pan for Stinkpot the cat, she was outgrowing her old one. We both had a chuckle over that wish. She asked again, "what else?". After some thought I wrote down birthday cake. Cake, I wanted cake. She stuffed the notepad back in her purse and we went shopping.

We stopped at a store my mom wanted to visit. I window shopped and eventually went and bought a lotto ticket while waiting on her. We went to another store, and off she went with her shopping cart. I went in the other direction and finally just picked up a new kitty litter pan on my own. She wanted to make one more stop at Wal Mart. I told her I had bought my lotto ticket, and new cat pan, but reminded her, don't forget my cake,... I wanted cake. I wandered around looking at everything but not particularly needing anything, the only wish left on the list was cake and my mom was buying that.....or so I thought. Upon leaving the store I caught up with my mom with a shopping cart full of stuff including a new tv. I asked her about the tv, and she exclaimed, "oh that's for me."... Pulling out of the parking lot I casually asked, what kind of cake did you get me? What cake? It seems she forgot to buy my birthday cake. She exclaimed she did get ice cream though....Ice cream? I didn't ask for ice cream, upon which she smiled and said, "but I like ice cream". It was at that point that I mumbled rather loudly under my breath, "there seems to be a recurring theme today and it is not going in my favor", my mom just giggled. Once back at her home I had to carry in the tv and set it up for her. This day was not going exactly as I had expected it too.

I was beginning to feel a bit like a birthday-zilla. It was suppose to be my special day, my special day where I was suppose to get cake. My fairy godmother wasn't being much of a fairy godmother. Two of my wishes I bought myself, and my third wish was still back in the cake aisle at Wal Mart.

(Grumble...grumble...dark mood...no cake.)

I didn't give my mom too hard of a time though. We had a huge chuckle over the whole day. I guess when you get older the magic of birthdays has to be created by you. You are in charge of making your wishes come true, even if all you did ask for was a lotto ticket, a kitty litter pan, and cake.

Late last night as I read a few blogs I ate a piece of cake, still slightly warm from the oven. It wasn't chocolate...(sigh), but it was cake. My birthday was a bit wierd, a little bit funny, a bit unpredictable, ... a bit like me.

You can bet I will remember my fairy godmother on her birthday...I don't know about asking her what her three wishes are.....but there will be cake....and it will be the kind that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment