Sunday, April 8, 2007

Entry for April 08, 2007 - Keester


It is funny how we read blogs by others and they act as a springboard for an idea for a blog we then write about. I read a blog yesterday posted by Mac on pics that people post on their blogs that are then 'acquired' by other individuals without permission. I posted a comment on his blog about it. I don't think anyone should take anything from another person's blog to claim it as their own. That was the point I wanted to get across is that you shouldn't claim something as your's when it's not. But we have all taken graphics and pics off the internet for our own use. Most of the time it's pretty obvious that you have altered a pic in some such way and that it is purely for entertainment value. Most people feel that if there is a pic posted on the internet it is fair game. Being in the public eye it's out there for anyone to download and use. I myself, have spent many hours looking for just the right pic on a search engine. I have never claimed the orginal pic as my own, but just the creation made from it. I got to thinking, that is everything in the public eye,..... public?

If I were to pick up my local newspaper there are stories along with pics of individuals. Most of them were posed shots so those individuals knew their pic would be published. There is also a public notice section that prints out when there are land transfers, marriage and divorce decrees, court appearances and traffic violations. There is even a listing for registered sex offenders and the addresses where they live.

I would want to know if there was a sex offender that lived near by. I think I have a right to know, but I got to wondering about the other things listed in the paper. Does anyone want or need to know that I have bought or sold property? Does anyone need or want to know when I get a speeding ticket? Is it worthy news or a real public service to others that I was going 5 miles over the speed limit in a construction zone area? No I haven't got a ticket lately, but it made me wonder why it was published at all?

Awhile back I was having lunch with my mom at a local establishment. We were up front at the counter placing an order and out of the corner of my eye I kept seeing flashes of light. I then realized that the person behind me was taking pics with his cell phone. Not just one or two pics, but several. I couldn't see what he was taking pics of but I had to wonder. Finally the manager came over to ask him what he was doing. He claimed he was taking pics of the place because he had at one time helped build the eatery. I looked him over. He looked like he was in his late 20's, in dress pants, shirt, and leather jacket. His hands didn't look like the hands of a tradesman. I didn't buy his story. I wondered more about his pics. Was he taking pics of the girl behind the counter? Was he taking pics of all of the people in line? If he was, he was only getting rear shots. It bothered me more and more as I thought about it. He hadn't asked anyone if he could take pics. What if he was taking pics of behinds in line? I started to obsess about my rear end, and why anyone would want to take pics of it. I started to have visions of my hind-end being put up on-line on U-tube in a documentary of the butts of the midwest. It bothered me. I felt like my privacy was being invaded.

Telemarketers know your phone number. Your number is traded back and forth and sold on lists to other companies all without your approval and knowledge. You can sign up for the Do Not Call list, but that does not apply to politics and charities. You will still get those phone solicitations from them. I think I get more phone calls now then ever before. I always ask them to take my name off their list after the second call. But there is always some new group calling without my consent. My phone number is privy information to them.

Anyone can get on a computer and look up someone. They can google for their address, any pics, they can even go to google-earth and get a pic of where someone lives. It's kinda neat, but at the same time kind of creepy. Most things are public knowledge or can be found readily available. It's hard to get true privacy. There are just so many means of opportunity out there. I don't have a problem with most of it, but some of it I do. I am not so sure if it is because I am all that private as a person, but because of not knowing the true intentions of others. Private, public, there is a blurred line on some areas and definite boundaries for others.

I start to think about that guy and his cell phone again. I hope in those pics he took, that if I happened to be in one, that I was having a good butt day. I'll try not to obsess about it. I will try not to pass a mirror and discreetly check my cheeks. After all they are a part of me and I can't very well go out in public without them. They follow me where ever I go......so much for privacy.

Happy Keester!


No comments:

Post a Comment