Thursday, March 1, 2007

Entry for March 01, 2007 - Snow Day




Today's blog was originally going to be a continuation of my last blog. I was going to write about flowers, perennials specifically, and what was on my wish list this year. I am somehow wondering if I have jinxed myself, in that we are having a snowstorm today in Nebraska. I am almost afraid that another blog on anything spring-like might bring a typhoon or earthquake or some other natural disaster from Mother Nature. I will save that blog for another day, when the sun is shining, flowers are popping up, and I see more green. Today everything is white. Today is a snow day.

Earlier I read a blog by Cyn on being still a kid at heart. I remember as a kid, the mention of a snowday brought whoops and cheers of delight. A day off from school and we would find ourselves wrapped up in layers and off to sled in all kinds of weather. We wouldn't show our faces back inside until our clothes were thoroughly soaked thru and are faces so red and numb we could no longer feel them. We would then come indoors and drink hot cocoa and watch reruns of Gilligan's island, the Brady Bunch, and other sitcoms from the 70's.

Today as I watch the drifting snow and hear the howling wind, the last thing that appeals to me is the cold and snow and soggy britches. I turned on the tv this morning and listened for what seemed hours on the cancellations and snow amounts and roads that were closed. I couldn't find Gilligan's Island or Marsha Brady. I turned the channel and found Rosie O'Donald spouting off her views on The View. It was a far cry from Gilligan and the Skipper and I turned the tv off.

I read some blogs this morning, posted some comments. My friend Spotty has won the UK blogging gold star and I have been secretly cheering him along the way this past week. I visited the page to vote for him and I was so tempted to leave a comment. I wanted to tell the UK blogging world that Spotty should win because he has the nicest legs. Well except for his floppy ankles he acquired while wearing high heels in his earlier days, but I wasn't sure if I would be costing him votes for that comment so I refrained. He won anyways despite being my friend, which I am relieved.

I read over in Bonnie's blog of a recipe she posted for chocolate pie. What a perfect day it would be to make pie. Just as quickly I talked myself out of it and as my stomach rumbled reminding me I hadn't had breakfast and it was getting past lunchtime, pie would hit the spot nicely. I shrugged, telling myself mentally that pie is a lot of work, even though I am home today because of the blowing snow. Vaguely I recall having bought some pudding cups, maybe if I stick a graham cracker in one it can pass for pie.

I got to thinking about in years past how our pioneer ancestors braved the elements with so few conveniences. How a snowstorm to them, meant more than just a day of boredom with nothing on tv. I remember reading as a child how they prepared for the winters, stocking their larders, cutting wood, and stringing a rope to the barn to find their way to the animals in the blinding snow. They endured so much.

I peered out my window just watching the snow blowing off the ice encrusted trees. I couldn't tell if I saw any tire tracks in the snow anywhere or past my mailbox. Hmmmm, I could go out and check the mail, surely I have mail. I envisioned me tieing a rope to myself as I trudged out the door to tie it off to my mailbox in the blinding snow. I then thought of them finding me, weeks later, thawing out in a snowdrift with a Capital One low interest credit card advertisement in one hand and a Publisher's Clearing House entry form claiming I could have been a winner in the other. I sighed.... Ed McMahon could wait till tomorrow, there was no hurry..

I thought of Sue's blast she had written today. Her Fibro is acting up and I know it's causing her some pain and discomfort. I know the cold and change of weather affects so many who have arthritis and other ailments. Just hearing the wind blow makes me pull my sweater tighter around me. I wondered what all of my neighbors were doing, and then it flashed on my computer screen I had an e-mail from my niece. She was bored and called me stinky. I wrote back on the insulance of children and how they should respect their elders. There followed a volley of e-mails till all grew quiet on her end. I knew then that her older brother must have kicked her off the computer so he could play computer games.

The wind still blows, the snow still falls, and I sit and watch it. It's starting to brighten up outside, whether from the sun trying to shine or just the blinding white of the snow... I don't know.

I start to think about Cyn's blog again and I start to get that feeling that somewhere along the way I might have grown up.

Someone should have told me.



For now though, I am going to make my way to the kitchen.

Somewhere there is a pudding cup with my name on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment