Thursday, May 26, 2011

Chainsaw Massacre...

 

It had been sitting out in the garage for several weeks before I finally got the nerve up to even take it out of it's box. It wasn't a big one, not even one of the traditional ones. It was a baby. A 14 incher. An easy plug and go type, and yet it still was a bit intimidating.

I blame it on my mother. I blame it on my brothers. I blame it on every 911 emergency episode I have watched on tv. But I finally got brave enough to take it out of the box.

I had a new electric chain saw. The box it's self, didn't look all that big. The power tool didn't seem all that heavy either. Just perfect I thought for my first foray into chainsaw adventures.

I read part of the instruction manual. Two thirds of it was in Spanish and French. Of the few pages I read, most were warnings of using the equipment. It gave me some more second thoughts. Stuff tends to do that when every paragraph sentence ended with "possible injury or death"...

I took a deep breath and took the bull by the horns, or in this case, the chainsaw by the handle. (Bytheway there are two handles and you are suppose to have both hands on the chainsaw handles at all times.) I filled the oil reserve, read about adjusting the blade, looked at the diagram for instructions of adjusting the blade chain, read it a third time, looked at my saw and sighed. Evidently the model must have changed and the instruction booklet hadn't. The pictures didn't match my saw. So I pulled on the chain a little, thought to myself, looks good enough and strung out my extension cord.

I braced myself for what I thought would be a rush of power and noise and pushed the lock release and the power button. Buzzzz... I had power, and it quickly cut thru the tiny test branch. I pushed the button again and sawed another little branch, and I cut a third branch before mentally kicking myself. You are suppose to push the oil button thingy between each cut. Doh! I pushed it three times for good measure. Mentally chanting my mantra of push the oil button as I sawed and sawed thru more branches.

I moved on to bigger branches. They took more effort. But they succumbed to my trusty little electric powered saw. I got bold, cutting willynilly thru the thicket. Yes, I wasn't really cutting a tree yet, but a thicket of overgrown bittersweet vines. I am not sure what possessed that crazy gardener to plant them in the first place but they had gone wild. They overtook the fence, clung to bushes, ran up a couple trees til the green branches swayed in the top of the tree canopy.

I buzzed my way thru the jungle. Stopping only when the cord came unplugged or a bit of leaves and branches got sucked in and clogged the chainsaw chamber. I felt empowered. It was a rhythmic ballet of sashaying chainsaw madness. I started sawing with one hand. (no I hadn't chopped off the other). I felt giddy with my quick success. I started cutting bigger branches, the saw balked at the prospects but eventually cut thru the thicker diameter. I cut a larger branch and heard the cracking and watched in slow motion as it almost beaned me in the head.

I was getting careless in my euphoria, and yet all that I could think of was that I needed more power. (just for you Mac, inserting the Tim the Toolman Taylor Arrrrrr...arrrrrr yell). I looked at my saw, and looked at the pine trees I needed to cut as well and sighed. It wasn't going to happen today. It wasn't going to happen with my little saw. I needed something bigger, I needed more power. I needed to call it quits for the day because it started to rain and I was going to electrocute myself with my electric chainsaw.

I sat in the garage for a bit while the rain fell and just looked at all my carnage. I fell empowered. I felt somehow justified that I hadn't hacked off any major bodily limbs or suffered any loss of life, and I went ahead and tried it despite all the naysayers and warnings and confusing directions.

Today I am debating on whether to make another trip to the hardware store to look at getting a bigger gas driven chainsaw. Should I attemp the tree removal on my own? Should I have someone else do it? Should I even be allowed near anything with more power with more instructions and warnings? I don't know....

I may be crazy, but I am not stupid... well, maybe just a little. I really did like having the power...

arrrrr.....arrrrr.....

28 comments:

  1. Arrrr arrrr right back atcha! lol
    YOU BRAVE SOUL, YOU!
    I chickened out and bought a rechargeable battery-powered circular saw to cut slabs into usable lengths to split for firewood for my camp stove.(This was after weeks of nagging/badgering the menfolk in the family to cut some for me with no visable results) There is a small chainsaw that works on the same battery system and I am thinking about trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrrrrrr great read Vic! When your done i got some things need cuttin down. Come on over ROFLMBO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They take some getting used to and of course are not for the faint hearted. Provided what you want to cut is no longer across the diameter than the length of the blade the saw should cope with it. It is just that the thicker it is the more muscle power you need to push the saw through. I am sending Bob over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OhhShit!! Now you know why the saying "absolute Power corrupts absolutely"! Is true.

    Today the thicket - tomorrow you'll be running for office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL@ Sir Chipaway...."sending Bob over!" Vic, you are very brave...very very brave. A garden hero. I admire you for your determination to claim the power.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was on my way over then some one said cup of tea so I had to stop . I have no fear you can do it ,just do not sit on the bit you are cutting

    ReplyDelete
  7. One very brave person. Something I would never even attempt. There will be no stopping you now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear....I cant stop having these visuals of a brave lil heroine..with pink curls jiggling..running around with a huge chain saw going arrrrrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  9. smiles at vic -- oh i know - just bought an 18 incher at lowes a poulan--my maple about for foot diam and splits into 6 2 ft spurs lost one --in storm - have 3 8ft sections utility co, cut off power lines -and one four ft - plus all the 8 inch pieces - took out red bud tree-an niegbors ornamental - utility pole - housesacross the were tied in too so wholerd -4 house my side and two other -wire all over the place 1:30 am tree co came - 4:30am newpole -12:30 pm hooking new lines - 5:30pm electric back on - next day all evenin cleanin up and rollin big logs unto pine garden where dafs and tiulips where done -saturday be makin camp fire wood a good two days work at least

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vic, I was clearing a lot about 25 years ago for a home we were building. Some nice 40' pines. The day was going rather well and I was pleased that every tree was falling where I had wanted them too. I went to cutting the last one for the day, notched it so it would fall where I wanted it to and commenced to cutting. Just as it started to fall a gust of wind came up and blew the tree in complete reverse of the way I wanted it to. Like a fool I threw down my saw, I started to push the tree to get it to fall in the other direction. The wind was really funny and I'm sure the pine branches were in on the situation too. Well I didn't win the pushing contest as it went over so just stood back and as if in slow motion the tree fell towards the only power lines going into town. many cuss words were coming from my mouth.
    I watched as the tree came down on top of the power lines and just at that moment another gust of wind came from the other direction and literally blew the tree back upright and over in the direction I had intended in the 1st place. Kind of like Wile E Coyote jumping off a cliff, hitting a power line and shooting into space. I of course once it started coming up off those power lines had an Incredible Hulk moment and commenced to push that tree over again too. Whew, When it hit the ground where it had been intended to, I was just dumbfound. To see the looks on the faces of the rest of the crew that day was priceless. God was pretty cool to me that day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wowzers how i do love a happy ending -Amen to that story -

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beginnings of The Nebraska Chainsaw Massacre...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good on you Viccles! Thanks for the great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peeks through fingers....ahhh no blood......good......wonders what will happen when she gets a bigger one.....congratulations Vic all tidy with fingers and toes in tact.....now you need a chipper to chip all those branches into mulch for your garden

    ReplyDelete
  15. Better not go to big Vic...Hubby sliced up his face on a chainsaw that kicked back. One hundred and some odd stiches inside and outside of his nose...You have to know were to put the blade and were not to. Like to have you around for a couple more years at least.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh geeeesh, I hope Vic doesn't cut off her nose. Maybe she should get a stainless steel hockey mask, just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OUCHIE BIG TIME, Misty! That must have been awful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had a neighbor that happened to Misty, it does make one leery when hearing about that sort of stuff. I just get tired of having always ask someone to help when I think I could probably do it myself if I wasn't such a chicken. I think one of my brothers will come take the trees out, he has already looked at my mess and said don't bother touching any more he will take care of it. Now when he will ever have the time to get around to it I don't know....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am thinking about getting a trampoline after reading Mac's story ..... if that would have happened to me, I would have fainted when I saw the tree going the wrong way,lol...

    ReplyDelete
  20. The good thing is, at least the cutting will be fast. With an axe, the chances of hurting yourself is terribly higher.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Vic:
    As much as I admire your gumption, I would advise much caution when using a chain saw. I earned my living with one for a while. They are dangerous tools in the hands of amateurs. And dropping trees takes a lot of skill and knowledge. Mistakes can easily be fatal. So I'd really urge you to get qualified help. Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have faith in Vic. She took the time to read her safety manual at least 100 times before operating her saw. Honestly, all power tools can be dangerous. Just take baby steps Vic. Cutting brush is an excellent way to get use to your machine. Using an electric model for a beginner is also an excellent choice. As you get use to cutting smaller items, go a bit bigger, start with dropping a small tree that you can handle and then go for one a bit bigger. I really don't think you would tackle something beyond your scope of handling.
    1 word of advice though that I don't think I have ever seen mentioned in an instruction manual, advice for beginners, always have someone with you just in case there is an accident.

    Regarding the story below, most of the time now when working around something I don't want a tree to fall on, I put a safety rope to what I am taking down. Whether it be a tree or even a large branch. Whom ever is with me can stand at a safe distance in give the rope some tension an a tug in the right direction if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds as if Mac is a safe and efficient tree cutter downer. (Good for your health!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I use the thumb method to be safe and efficient. Stick my thumb up in the air, eyeball my target over the thumb, walk around target taking thumb scoping measurements and judgments, wet thumb to check for weather conditions and wind patterns and most importantly, keep thumbing the chain oil button. The thumb is a very important tool for the chain saw operation.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Vic.
    Like your story and courage to just do it yourself. Be careful and you'll be OK. Probably see ya on "AXE MEN" on the Discovert channel soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well? Did you do it?? Did you get out the big one????? Id you did do you still have all your fingers??????? Hmmmmmmm??????

    ReplyDelete
  27. They are down. One of my brothers and a neighbor took them out.... I guess the fear of me wielding a bigger chainsaw scared them into it,lol..

    ReplyDelete
  28. The round about methods one uses to reach a predetermined goal.......

    There should be a book, kinda like the Art Of War by Sun Tzu.

    ReplyDelete