Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Garden Stuff 2011

 

Yesterday I was surprised to find a new 2011 spring garden catalog in my mailbox...(neener,neener Vero). With visions of turkey, gravy, stuffing, and pie clouding my thoughts, gardening for the next year was way back on the back burner. I couldn't help but thumb thru the catalog a bit to see their offering and I found my eye drawn to some plants I hadn't grown or heard of before.

PUMPKIN PEPPERS.... Looking a lot like miniature pumpkins but not really a pumpkin...or a pepper. But actually a member of the eggplant family, that is dried like a gourd. It sounded a lot like a plant with an identity crisis to me, which lead me to some googling. It was confusing a bit as there are actually peppers that are called pumpkin peppers that are hot. But the pumpkin peppers that I had seen listed in the catalog are more decorative and not really eaten. My interest was peaked though and I find myself seriously considering trying them next year. If you should google them to read more about them as well, type in "ornamental eggplant pumpkin on a stick" to find the variety mentioned rather than the hot peppers.

STUPICE TOMATO...A Czechoslovakian heirloom tomato that is suppose to be very early to mature. A small 3-4 oz. tomato that is sweet and tangy that you would associate with a beefsteak according to the catalog. After this past years tomato crop failure I am thinking this might be a contender for next year. I am not sure what Stupice stands for, the original breeder, a town, or province in Czechoslovakia but the name is close enough  to stupid which makes me think that even I might have success in growing the plant.

MARCONI RED...An Italian pepper that reportedly is 3 inches across the shoulders and can grow a foot long. Described as exceptionally large and exceptionally sweet has me thinking I want and need to grow anything described as exceptional, not once but twice. I haven't ever grown a foot long pepper before, and just how it would taste any different I'm not sure. But I have a hankering now for marconi peppers which look suspiciously like banana peppers that are just red.

SUGAR BUNS... (sigh) Another disappointed in the garden this year was the sweet corn that was drowned out early in the spring season. For the past several years I have planted a bi-color, but now I am thinking I should switch back to an all yellow variety. Promises of an early sugar enhanced hybrid with a long harvest period sound so  promising. I find though that I am always in a bit of a quandary with those sugar enhanced corn varieties. Reports of needing a bit more soil warmth then the typical sweet corn varieties has me wavering on just when to plant. Plant too early and they sulk and rot in the soil. Plant too late and I end up with stunted knee high stalks that make we want to build a fence to cover my sweet corn shame. This time I am thinking sugar buns is a possibility and it has me lusting to slather it all in butter and salt. Listed beside my Sugar Buns are "Quickie" and "Stowell's evergreen" ....oh decisions, decisions...

KIWANO HORNED MELON...A native of Africa that supposedly has a taste similar to cucumbers, kiwi and banana combined. The real kicker for me though, it is listed as having "flesh quite interesting with a Jello-like consistency"... Well there ya go, you can now grow Jell-o. Who knew? Given the cucumber, kiwi, and banana flavor it is like growing your very own fruit salad, all that you need is a carton of cool whip and you are good to go...(heads up Mac, the flesh looks green too!).

I know it's just my first catalog and many more will start trickling in after the first of the year. So many new plants and discoveries to stumble across has me thinking that 2011 will be an exceptionally good year. The only problem will be trying to pare down my wish list of things to try along with my usual old stand bys, as well as flowers (annuals and perennials) trees, bushes, etc, etc.... I will though, have to make room for Jell-O...

(don't groan, you knew I had to say it!)

 

30 comments:

  1. STUPICE TOMATO...A Czechoslovakian heirloom (I thought there for a moment that your middle left finger had roamed) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oho! I see after reading farther down that you made that reference too! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Marconi Red sounds positively vulgar. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That melon sounds suspiciously like the assorted names that have cropped up over the past 40 yrs or so describing a delectible fruit that prospers in anyones garden and requires no tree climbing and very little tending. I remember my mom's neighbor raving about her "vine peaches" (which, by the way tasted like a very ripe cucumber)icky nasty. They didn't show up a second year. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch Mac. He will be strolling in your garden with a spoon .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee I started getting seed catalogs at least a month ago, maybe they realized I'm slow to make up my mind.

    Piqued? ;-o

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, by the way, I got a Jackson & Perkins catalogue yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should try to find the RIBBED CUCUMBER. It remains very stiff without refrigeration and can reportedly grow up to 12 inches. The flavour depends very much on the perspective of how it is eaten. It can also be tangy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. George better hush or he's gonna be in a pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. See – I said George knows a lot about gardening.

    Wow you are really early Vic or whisper whisper a tad late? I haven’t given any consideration of what veggies I’ll be adding into my 2011 garden, but I did bring inside the house 3 pots of mint to grow by my kitchen window and hope the kitties won’t walk through them thinking they’re outside.
    I also got my eyes on some blooming plants for next year and hope they’ll grow in our climate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That’s if we don’t flood, or freeze after nice weather to bring new growth out or even both flood and freeze. Sigh…..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do demonstrate George with detailed explanations – cocks head to side and smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There you go with the cock head again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't get past the grass seed page in catalogues. Enjoy your browsing and planning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. (peering over specs)....George...wabbit...I will see you two after class..

    ReplyDelete
  16. *readies myself for a good spanking*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will wait for Vic & Vero to grow this stuff and raid the better garden......

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooo I like it. Should I try to hold my ankles this time?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I like the sounds of that pumpkin pepper. You will have to let us know what you think of it if you decide to grow it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't use a spoon, I'll just slurp it from the gourd.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vic, I grow several varieties ornamental peppers. Never knew of one not to be hot. I haven't dropped dead yet so am assuming that they are all edible too.
    besides the slurping comment, A melon like that sounds kinda gross. But again, green Jello? How could one not want to try at least one.
    Corn today scares me. There is just so much genetic engineering going on with it. I do get it fresh from the farms though and it just amazes me how after a week in the fridge it is still sweet. back in the day of me picking it every day, it had to be eaten or sold that day or it was losing it's sweetness.
    The little tomatoes sound interesting and if you try them I would love to know what you think of them.
    The Mortgage lifter craze had me try them a few years ago and I was very disappointed with them. Maybe it was just due to me liking beef steaks and plums.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is supposed to be a new trend in hot peppers... same flavor but no heat. Frankly, I don't see the point but ... oh well.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hot peppers have a flavor besides hot? I never noticed, lol. I always just thought a hot pepper was grown for it's looks and intensity of heat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Exactly, Mac! I thought the whole point of hot peppers was the "HOT". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have fun planning. Must admit can't even think about next years planting yet.

    ReplyDelete
  26. the butternut squash went crazy again this year,the yukon gold potatoes were very good and tasty,but the way the season hit they actually produced 'fruit' !! who knew potatoes had balls??...so the spud yield was a little lower...sweet potatoes did awesome-and then the moles ate a 1/3rd of them,,,grrr
    we planted way! too many peppers...anybody need a few dozen red hot chillis?we planted our sweet corn a bit late-the soil was still too cold...got an infestation of beetles and actually had to use sevin dust,but a good crop anyways luckily....the wild blackberries were off the hook this year due to the early wet and later sun(wild black raspberrys were almost nonexistant this year)and turned out to a very nice 15 gallons of wine indeed :)

    the herbs are dormant along with the brussel sprouts and broccoli waiting for spring-harvested herbs are hanging dry in the greenhouse ...it was a decent year
    susan has all the pictures on her blog

    ReplyDelete
  27. i left out peas beets radish peanuts(in ohio! ) muskmelon sugar baby watermelon our ever volunteer tomatoes(we are never Planting cherry tomatoes again...we transplant them to pots along the fence row and pull the rest like weeds) kolrabi cowpeas garlic onions califlower...the chestnut trees got bug infested(bad year for bugs all around)......i'd better quit now
    we can trade notes later if you'd like

    ReplyDelete