Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Fab Four (Plus One)...

 

I received a phone call the other day from someone I hadn't heard from in years. It was a guy that I had gone thru grade school and high school with and he was wanting some information about another classmate. I knew the moment I heard his voice who it was. Loud and brash and full of bravado, he hasn't changed since he was in a kid in those respects. I remember my mom saying he reminded her of a little banty rooster. I think that growing up in a family of eight kids, he just had to make a lot of noise in order to be heard.

He specifically called to find out about a fellow classmate that he heard had been diagnosed with cancer and was not well. I wasn't able to give him any news but I promised to call around and see what I could find out and let him know if I found out much. We chatted a bit more before I hung up the phone and I could only shake my head and smile, that some people never change and in some ways that is a blessing. I know most people that knew him, would roll their eyes or shrug their shoulders or give a knowing nod upon hearing his name, as if that explained everything. He has had a bumpy road in life, and I am sure his cocky ways only added to that bumpiness.Having known him since the second grade, I have just come to know that is who  he is and accept him for it.

I went to a small country school growing up. It wasn't actually that small in size compared to most rural schools. The building had originally been a high school and was later changed to a k-8th grade school with the older students bused off to a bigger town with a high school.

It was big and square and made of red brick. Upon entering the two wooden double doors, you met a wooden staircase that lead upstairs to a landing. Off of that landing were two very large rooms to the right, two very large rooms to the left, and a small room towards the back which served as a library. It wasn't much of a library, having a bookshelf on either side of the room, a water fountain in the corner and on the back wall, two small wooden doors that when the brass bar above it was pulled down and released, opened the doors into a dark tunnel that one slid down like a slide,as a fire escape. Going downstairs there were a set of steps on either side of the main wooden steps that were concrete and painted grey. At the bottom of the steps on the right was a gym with a small stage for school plays, at the bottom of the stairs the girls restroom. At the bottom of the stairs at the left side was the boy's restroom and directly to the left was the lunch room, next to it a door that lead to a janitors room of cleaning supplies, another door to it's right that lead to the boiler room. In that room was a door that lead to a set of steps to the outside, and the other door lead to what use to be the old coal room.

Upstairs the one large room on the left, and one large room on the right side were both used for the classrooms, and the other two large rooms were used for storage and for playing indoors when the weather was bad. The floors were all pine wood, and narrow slatted, with one small set of wooden steps off to the side that lead up to what was the teachers office. The one and only phone was kept up there, along with a roll topped desk, the copy machine, and a door that lead up another flight of stairs up into the attic.

The large room to the right on the main floor was called the "little room". It housed grades k-4th, and the large room to the left was called the big room, and contained grades 5th thru 8th. The total combination of both rooms was roughly 35 kids. In my grade class there were mainly four of us. Me, my twin bro, and the guy who called asking about the other 4th member of that class. Thru the years, another kid might move to town and for a year or two or there might be someone else to join our class of four. One kid who moved in the area with his family joined our group in the 7th grade and went on to high school with us for a couple of years.

He was the strangest fellow that I had ever come across. His sister was a brunette, his mom and dad had dark hair and he had the biggest mop of the reddest hair I had ever seen. His hair only took second stage to his freckles. Wow, did he have freckles. Big dark blotches of freckles that literally covered his face, his neck, his arms and feet. He was short, and wore big thick black framed glasses and was cursed, or blessed, (however you look at it) with the name of Earl.

So between Earl, me, my bro, that banty rooster tow headed guy, that left one other guy in our class, the one now that is sick. He was an only child in his family and had the misfortune of taking after his mother's side. His dad was a tall, strapping farmer, whereas his mom, although tall, was thin almost to the point of seeming sickly herself.

Every single day that he attended grade school with us, he was always so neatly dressed, with blue jeans, oxford type shoes, a button down shirt and a sweater vest. His hair was trimmed neatly and never seemed to be out of place. He wore brown glasses and had only a smattering of tiny brown freckles across the bridge of his nose. He was small and thin, very close in size to the banty rooster guy, except his hair was brown instead of blond and he was quiet. But I guess all of us were more quiet than our one classmate.

My sweater vested friend gradually changed as he entered into high school. Long gone were the neat vests and buttoned down shirts, replaced with t-shirts and faded jeans. Glasses were traded in for contact lens and his neatly trimmed hair had grown longer and more straggly. He grew taller but still retained his thin frame. When he graduated from high school he moved on and drifted a bit before finding a career in the police dept. He had married, divorced, had one son of his own. I have to admit, I am not sure if I would recognize him now if I saw him.

I have thought a lot about him this past week, along with those other few classmates. When I think of each of them, I don't really think of them as I last saw them in passing or even on our graduation day. I think of Earl with all his freckles, happy go lucky, and hopefully just as happy go lucky in his adulthood. I think of banty rooster guy and how he never changes, always a loudmouth, yet some how endearing with his bravado. I think of me and my twin bro and how we have changed, and I think of sweater vest guy, and how he is just a darn kid, and too young to be dying of pancreatic cancer. I think of all of us as kids and wondered just when it was we grew up. I don't think it was a particular time or place, but in a moment. It's in a moment when you realize that life and things change,...like fashion trends and sweater vests.

21 comments:

  1. I REALLY liked this, I could almost see the people you described! It was all the more potent for me since I have recently had some contacts from several of my old school friends, which has been interesting, to say the least!

    Great blog!I'll never live up to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure know how to jog the memory. The school you described could have been one I went to so many years ago. This was a great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog Vic...you could have been writting about my school days. I was the only girl in our famous 6. The five boys who grew up with me were so different from eachother, but yet we got along like a house on fire. I managed to remain in touch with 3 out of them. One is a professor at Cambridge in uk..other heads a big finance company in USA...and one boy in particular, Nathan..who was the first boy to plant a clumsy drooly kiss on my lips for 4 whole seconds (it was awful..and I had my eyes wide open), in the TT room at school behind a wooden partition..I must be 11 or 12 then..he was a pilot with Air India, died a few years back in a car accident. I went to two schools. When I turned 13 and started looking for '' better kissing potentials'' my dad moved me to a girls convent school..lol. Great blog..made me actually visualise your school..you sure have a flair for writing so well.
    And thankyou for promoting a good blog session..I look forward to reading a few more. I think we could follow Mr. Chippy's fotofun idea, and set a theme for a blog at least once in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea Zzee! I think everyone has just been so cooped up and sick of winter they haven't felt like doing anything or haven't felt like they have done anything worth blogging about. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the blogs the past couple of days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end we'd sing and dance forever and a day

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least on my site he never goes beyond "wat".

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so sad Vic. You are supposed to cheer us up not depress us. I demand humour next time. ("Demand"- wow shows how depressed I am).

    ReplyDelete
  8. as usual Vic, you sure can paint a picture with your written words. I felt myself on a tour of the old school house, and could almost see your classmates as you described them.
    Great blog,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Vic a insight in to yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know..I even sang it in the room once lol..I just felt like doing a ''wat'' to him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reminds me of a school my hubby was principal at...actually two for sure. The old school bell is still hanging in one of them.
    You are right Vic nothing new worth talking about so not blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about someone getting cancer. I guess it comes with age.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you ever count Earl's freckles, and if so, how many did he have? (You can leave out the nether regions if you want to).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your sweater vest, it has diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy you sure have a good memory to retain all that detail of your old school, I can just about remember where mine is/was (might not even be there). I would think that being a bit older than you there is a proportion of people from my school year who are no longer around. Certainly some never made it into their 20's as we all had to do Military Service and there were various conflicts in different parts of the World even then.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn’t it amazing how sometimes a simple phone call from someone in the past can trigger an avalanche of memories, where details are revisited in our minds like flash cards or picture slides.
    I love the description of your school. I probably wouldn’t be able to describe any of my schools I had attended, excepting the stairs, the never ending stairs. Nor would I be able to describe my classes, I was always the smallest so always sat in the front. The back of my classes will forever remain a mystery. But I will always recall the smell of individual class haha especially the science rooms.
    Loved your story Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a beautiful read, Vic. I enjoyed it and it is thought provoking. Thanks for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is amazing in this world of technology how we can connect with friends of our youth...I recently reconnected with my longest friend (since 5th grade) only to find she is being treated for stage 4 uterine cancer. she starts radiation today but is planning a visit here in late spring. We have got together a few times since HS. She stayed in the Chicago area..I moved here and there, but through all that time (and there were a few years we had no contact except Christmas cards) we still remain friends. Her prognosis is not the best, but with this blog I can still see us sitting in Ms. Kakacek's 5th grade class wondering what life has in store for us. Thank you Viccles!!

    ReplyDelete