Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Christmas Story

I've come to think of it as a Christmas story, only a story without snowmen, angels, wise men, or Santa Claus. I don't think of it much thru the year, but at Christmas time and around the holidays I find myself remembering the story which has me googling to read the story over again. It's a feel good kinda story, a story of regular people coming together to make it something more. Something I think that Christmas and just what life it's self should be all about.

It was December 17, 1941 and a small group had gathered to wait for them. The 134th infantry were to be arriving by train and would pass thru, or at least that was the rumor that was circulating about. Trains came and they weren't the right trains, and more people gathered til the 4:30 train which was suppose to be the real train carrying the 134th was to arrive. But it didn't have the 134th infantry. Those sons and fathers and brothers and loved ones weren't on the train but were in fact a different group from Kansas. The gathered group loaded them down with their parcels of cookies, magazines, and cigarettes and sent them off as if they were their own.

And an idea was formed by a local woman, Rae Wilson, that  the soldiers should be met, the trains should be met. They should be sent off, all of them as if they were family, they were everyone's family. A group was formed and on Christmas day the North Platte Canteen came into being.

As many as 23 trains a day and up to 8,000 military personnel were greeted with steaming hot cups of coffee, baskets of sandwiches, plates of fried chicken, cookies, pies, magazines, cigarettes, playing cards, and a birthday cake or two. Well actually about 20 birthday cakes a day, 600 cakes a month, to be given to any soldier who was lucky enough to have a birthday that day.

As many as 125 communities came together to help staff and supply the canteen daily. Auctions, and raffles, and scrap metal drives were held to help cover expenses. Men's organizations, ladies' groups, church members, businesses all took turns to make sure each train was met every single day for four and a half years before the canteen's closing on April 1, 1946.

I find it remarkable. That a town of 12,000 even thought they could undertake such a project. I find it remarkable that every train was met, day or night. That almost 6 million servicemen and women came thru the canteen. How in the very beginning the transport of the trains was being kept quiet, and only the head of the Union Pacific officials knew of their arrival. They would in turn contact the head canteen workers and the word was spread by the simple phone call, "I've put the coffee on". In a time of poverty, and uncertainty, it does seem as if it was some sort of miracle.

The pessimistic part of me, grumbles that it wouldn't ever happen now. No one would be home, no one would be willing to spend such a big part of their day just meeting a train for 10 minutes, and for total strangers. Everyone would claim to be at work and unable to help, or maybe help out once or  twice before moving on and thinking they had done their part. But that is the pessimistic part of me, and the melancholy and romantic part of me hopes that we would. For now though, I just think of it as my favorite Christmas story, which became much more than just a Christmas story for so many.

 

 

To read more about the North Platte Canteen: http://npcanteen.net/

16 comments:

  1. I like your Christmas story. It's more what Christmas is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I luv this. Never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story Viccles....I would meet every train I could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vic:
    I was born in 1948 and can remember when folks were like that. I think our world started to change with the introduction of television in the mid-50s(to the masses) and sped up considerably about the time black and white became colour. Not that there's a connection......

    But seriously, in emergencies, people still pull together to help those in need. There is never a shortage of volunteers when bodies are needed to pile sand bags to prevent flooding; or folks happy to take in strangers who have been victimized by natural or man-made disaster. There is still lots of good in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was born in the 40's and remember how the neighbors all helped those in need. So many times I can remember the men in our family taking over the farm chores of a neighbor who was ill. No, I don't think we see it is as much now. Love the story and had never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vic! Thanks for that story. We must have faith in human nature. I believe there is still a lot of good people out there despite what we read in the newspapers and see on the TV. I was born in 1948, in the UK - not in the States - and I remember the good old bad days! G.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thort there would be trains here, for shopping. Sighs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet people would turn out if a call were put out to throw cake...

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot of this still happens in our villages..where a railway station is just 1 cabin and 4 lights. People come to offer tea to weary passengers who use these lonely routes. But it's not going to last very long..inflation is taking care of changing mentalities. But one can still hope, as Geoff says..there are some good people still around. Lovely story Vic. I was born in 1980 ( why is my nose growing...?) so I really cant relate to such ancient times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great story, thank you for sharing it .
    Time sure has changed the world we live in...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Vic for the story . I do believe that You look after you service men better than we do in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting story and I expect there are many of them similar from the last war which bred a hugh community spirit among people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sparklingrobert... If a US Serviceman retires to, say, Spain, he / she is entitled to the use of the Base Facilities such as Medical, Dental, and PX / Commissary. At least, that's the way things were. Us Brits get diddly squat! I served for 24 years in the British Army and even did a year in Baghdad fairly recently as a Private Civilian. How the other half lives! G.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing story, I wonder if in today’s busy world some would be willing to put some time aside each day for a total stranger who in fact is not really a stranger anymore once realizing he represents for you to live your life in democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A really interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete