Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Entry for February 21, 2007 - First Impressions



I was reading Cyn's blog the other day on the different blogs she had visited. She was shocked at the amount of pics of people who displayed body parts, graphic images, and contained a lot of "adult" content. I got to thinking how our blogs are an extension of us, how they convey to the rest of the world who we are or what we are about.

First impressions say a lot. I began to wonder what was the impression I was giving to other bloggers that stopped by my page. Once they saw my avatar pics, would they go so far as to read my blog and comments or would they blog on to other pages?. Would they automatically form an opinion just on what little they saw? Granted, a pic of a toothless kid with pink hair and freckles isn't that scarey, but it might lead some to believe I am crazy.... Just plain nuts. First impressions color our outlook, whether it be an individual or situation. I know at times I am guilty of it as well. I have blogged to other pages, seen a pic or avatar and then left not bothering to read any further on their page or leave a comment. First impressions leave lasting impressions that are hard to get past sometimes.

A couple of weeks ago I was spending the day shopping with my mom. We had breakfast out and planned our day of attack. We were going to visit a new store that had opened up in town. I am sure it is the same all over when you live in a smaller town, any new business that opens, causes a buzz. People flock in droves to that new business when it first opens for a couple of weeks, and then the excitement dies down and things go back to normal. So when that huge shopping giant Walmart came to town, my mom and I waited to shop there, we wanted to shop when it wasn't so crowded and busy.

We grabbed our carts and were off. I looked over the housewares, the furniture, music, and then headed over to the paint section. I want to repaint the kitchen but after 20 minutes of looking at paint samples I gave up. I wasn't in the mood to start painting yet so I shopped on. I looked and looked and compared prices and there was a time or two I put something in my cart and then put it back on the shelf. I wasn't going to be tempted to buy something I didn't need at the moment, so my shopping cart was empty as I headed out the store. The Walmart greeter had a huge smile on her face as I was headed towards the exit ...until.....she saw my empty shopping cart. Her smile faded, how could I be leaving Walmart empty handed? She didn't say anything to me, but her frown spoke volumes. I snickered to myself on the way out to the car and to wait on my mother.

I saw mom walking towards the vehicle, shopping bag in hand, and a big frown on her face....uhoh. I winced, she wasn't happy, she was mad. She opened the door and threw her package in, and exclaimed she had never been so humiliated in her life. I asked what was wrong and she told me of her experience. She had gotten a few groceries, just a few dollars worth, she didn't need much and was at the check out stand. When the total was rung up for her purchases, she handed over to the clerk a crisp new twenty dollar bill she had just gotten at the bank. The clerk eyed the new looking bill, then eyed my mother. She called over another person, they looked over the money. She waited in line as other people were waiting to make their purchases as well. The clerk said nothing, but ran the numbers to check them, to see if it was fake, her new twenty dollar bill. My mom got redder as more people were waiting. There was no apology, there was no explanation from the clerks,.... there was just a purchase being made by a senior citizen for some eggs, milk, and dish soap.

I looked at my mother, trying to see what the clerk must have seen in her...sixty-eight years old, just barely over five foot in height,.... yes...definite criminal material in the making. Being the good daughter that I am, I smiled sweetly and said, "So how long have you been making the counterfeit money Ma Barker ?".... She was not amused. Her shopping day was spoiled. She was ready to go home.

Walmart hadn't made a good impression on my mom... Just the opposite in fact. Trying to make a purchase and pay in cash evidently was frowned upon. I told her that it had finally happened, money wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

She was just trying to be practical. She didn't want to write a check for such a small amount or put it on her credit card, but instead she was made to feel like a criminal on her very first shopping visit.


Mom is still ticked at Walmart,...she hasn't gone back to shop, and I have a feeling it is going to be a very, very, long time when... or if.... she ever does again.


Sometimes, those first impressions go both ways....

No comments:

Post a Comment