Friday, May 9, 2008

Disorderly Conduct...

 Well I have been informed it's time for another blog entry. Like most of you, there hasn't been a lot going on for me to blog about. Most of my spare time has been spent out in the yard and gardens trying to get caught up with never ending work.

Gardening is work, and at times I wonder why I don't have an easier or more simpler hobby. I get hot, I get dirty, I get exhausted with gardening. I should have chosen something less taxing like stamp collecting, knitting, or building model airplanes. I think with every hobby there must be a downfall and I know that most likely with the stamp collecting I will acquire a papercut on my tongue from licking,...poke myself in the eye with the knitting needle, or both eyes since there are two needles used... or glue my fingers together with the model building. I chose gardening, or rather gardening chose me.

Gardening can be seductive with it's glossy colorful catalogs, and promises of beauty surrounding you at every turn. What those catalogs don't mention are the weeds, the weather, and the disorderly conduct of a lot of plants.

I have been gardening for a long time, and like all gardeners, we tend to learn things the hard way about plants and planting. I think perhaps the biggest mistake I ever did was in my choice of planting material for a long steep bank that flanked the driveway. I needed a plant that would help with erosion control, be maintenance free, and look pretty. A pretty tall order when I think back on it. So I skimmed the catalogs till I found something that I thought would look nice..... I ordered......crownvetch.

I can hear the gasps from those seasoned gardeners at the mere mention of the plant. Yes, I, Vic, did plant crownvetch.....and not just one plant. I ordered fifty plants for my long stretch of bank. They grew...they thrived...they took over anything in it's path. I've sprayed ever since to kill the stuff that runs by underground runners and it still runs everywhere it shouldn't.

I take the blame for those plants that I plant, but there are also those plants that plant themselves...those reseeding wonders. Now being a bit on the frugal side of gardening, I tend to like plants that give back by reseeding or spreading and increasing their beauty. You know those kind of plants that neighbors share with neighbors till everyone is growing Mrs. Edwards iris, or some other vigorous plant material...And if I am truthful with myself, I will admit to being a plant hoarder. I hate to not plant or replant those offshoots and plant babies. Flower beds and gardens are extended just to make room for those new additions.

The other day while out in the backyard I looked over one of my shady borders and noticed how well some of the plants were growing and how some were still just emerging, when I happened upon my woodland phlox. For those of you that don't grow the stuff, think a taller version of creeping phlox, more open, delicate and in the lovely shade of light periwinkle blue. I had planted a few plants several years ago in my border and they were up and growing about 6 inches......but... If one were to look a few feet over by a tree where the picnic table was, there was some rogue phlox... Tall, blooming, wild, renegade phlox that completely covered the area under the picnic table. I know if I were to dig up the plants or move the picnic table they wouldn't be happy. They were plants with a mind of their own. So for now I won't be using the picnic table much and will let the neighbors wonder why I have the loveliest flower bed under my picnic table.

It wasn't just the phlox either. I spied some Japanese painted ferns, and a tiny bleeding heart that jumped ship and were huddling quietly, but happy in their chosen spots. I couldn't help but think, as I glanced up and down my flower borders for a sparser area, shovel in hand...."don't worry little guys I will save you".

Somehow at times I think it is me that needs saving.

Mother's day is coming up this week-end and a lot of people will be buying their mom a card and a gift, and being a gardener I will be getting my mom the gift of flowers...The kind she can plant. Hopefully she will have better luck in keeping her plants in line. Having raised four kids I think she already has a distinct advantage.

Happy Mother's Day Mom....

18 comments:

  1. Hi Vic:
    I, too, have been puttering around the yard and garden. I just put in some Everbearing strawberry plants, some beans, peas, zucchini and soon, tomatoes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a propensity towards weeds...
    Pros...they are easy to grow...spread quickly (excellent ground cover)...do not require much maintenance...keep the yard green all Summer, even in drought times...and I don't have to worry about passer-bys stopping to steal them...
    Cons...they don't look so hot in a vase...

    Yep...all in all...I think the Pros have it.

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaack did you have to mention about the weeds? I was all eager and ready to get out there tomorrow to finally plant the ouside flowering plants I've been waiting for from the nursery. I also got some seeds to make a little veggie garden but now I'm thinking about the weeds, the heat, the sun frying me to a crisp, the black flies, the mosquitos.
    Oh by the way you just might start a new gardening fashion - flowers under a picnic table. Yep I can just see it now.
    Happy Mothers Day and have a great weekend huuugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said aloud, "Oh my gosh!", when you mentioned vetch.It grows wild here and there was none at all on my farm but I could see it a mile or so down the road from me. I thought it was lovely with its bright purple flowers. One day ...WOWSERS!... i found a plant in one of my flower beds. I cleaned around it and watered it and pampered it. .... (Need I go any farther?) WAHHHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The phlox is gorgeous! OMG!-on the Vench! And 50 to boot, whooh-ha! Funny Vic, yer blog is soooo true! Alot of the gardening stuff, we do learn the hard way, or pamper, prep, amend, and then have the dern thing die for some unknown reason! I've had my share of that too. Oh, the neighbor garden/sharing, too funny, but also true! Wish yah lived on the other side of me! I got plenty of places out back to plant that leftover Vench. Ugh-tap roots, I am so cautious about any plants with them, cuz they take over. But yer yard sounds loverly, yah gotta post more pics of those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure Jim Woodkrvr would loan you his goats for a little while. Crown vetch would make a tasty treat for them, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i did not know about crown vetch- but i am glad i do now , Vic..what i planted and did not know would invade a part of my garden, was ..(i hope i get the name right) Gooseneck Loosestrife. It also multiplies by runners under the soil, and my husband went beserk this spring with a pitchfork, and we're trying to win the battle..lol I hope he got the last of it. Enjoy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an added note...I am kinda partial to crab grass (which is cool since I have so much of it)...living next to the river, I feel it is in keeping with the 'theme' of the place...

    *Walks off chuckling to herself*...(*rolls eyes*...well, SOMEBODY has to laugh at my jokes...may as well be me)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to look up crownvetch so I'd know to never plant that. My biggest problem here is our soil has alot of clay and the fireants!!!!!!! watchout for those things. they always manage to get into my flowers. mean little cusses they are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Giggled as I read this this morning, yep we had crownvetch up in Wisconsin.....UGH (need I say more) The lady who had the hosue where we are now has mint planted all around it.....I say HAS because I am in a constant battle with it.... I think gardening is trial and error.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crownvetch is like mint and certain bamboo. WILD...lol Funny how weeds need little care and flowers need to be pampered. Should be the other way around. lol on Suzi's crab grass. Same goes for dandelions...In England once it was considered a pretty flower. You'd think here it would be up near the top on best 10 growers as what would we do without dandelion wine. Man what a kick that stuff has.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI vIC TIS i YAR BACK FROM CAMPIN AND CHECKIN UR PULSE THUMP THUMP OH U BEEN WORKIN HARD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet story, Vic! I know exactly what you mean, mine jump ship all the time:) At first I didn't want to discipline them, but I had to *sigh* I too have been busy outside among other things and have not been here for a while. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day, hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's the sure fire way of telling a flower from a weed...if ya have to care for plant and it gets puny and dies anyway it's a flower for sure...if ya just let a plant be and it thrives like crazy it's a weed ...I have a green thumb when it comes to weeds lollol I received a hanging basket of a beautiful floral assortment as one of my Mother's Day gifts...too bad it will die soon:(:( I've watered it and talked lovingly to it but it's already looking sort of sickly :(:(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Vic, I know you get hot, but think of the money you save by not having to go to the sauna & sunbed. Exhausted, what a wonderful way to work out, far better than a machine in a gym. and dirty... Isn't it a wonderful feeling though to get the dirt back under your fingernails after a long cold winter. Lets face it... Spending time in the garden/yard just makes you feel good :) {{{mopsy hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Vic....my youngest Granddaughter has such a green thumb...on our nature walks she gathers acorns and comes back and plants them in the yard and flower beds...snicker. This weed thing is highly over rated. I ummm once weeded all my newly sprouted green beans out of the garden...cause the morning glory's came up in a straight line row beside them...lol.
    Heyyy....I'll send ya some of my flower seed mixture...haven't a clue what they are. giggle

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL one year in the greenhouse, I painstakingly pulled out all the grass that was "invading" a tray of flowers, totally forgetting that what I had planted in there was ORNAMENTAL GRASSES..!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Writes the name of the crown beltch plant to spread generously around neighbours gardens ...hehe

    ReplyDelete